Cycle, crash, cycle, crash, cycle thread

Re: Tour De France 2007

Sort of preview/doping article from today’s Guardian

http://blogs.guardian.co.uk/sport/2007/06/12/absorbing_immense_but_tour_mus.html

Absorbing, immense, but Tour must be clean to be believed

The Tour de France starts in London in four weeks but it must clean up its act in order to win over fans and sponsors.

William Fotheringham
June 12, 2007 12:05 AM

With the Tour de France starting in London in less than four weeks a highly placed member of the company that organises the race asked me recently how the sport’s doping problem is playing on this side of the Channel. The organisers have good cause to wonder, although they would not admit to worry: if the London start does not draw the public, or if there is another major doping scandal in the run-up, the Tour will be all the harder to sell to major cities and sponsors.

On this side of la Manche, however, the question is phrased differently. The success of the London start is taken as a given, but cycling aficionados are wondering why they should afford the event any sporting credibility at all. After all, why invest any emotion when the victor may test positive for a banned substance - as last year’s winner Floyd Landis did - or decide that, 10 years on, he will confess to years of drug use, as the 1996 winner Bjarne Riis did recently?

Worryingly, neither the driving force behind the Tour’s arrival in the capital, the mayor of London, Ken Livingstone, nor the head of the organisers, Christian Prudhomme, was able to offer convincing answers. The mayor’s response was in essence that history did not matter, which missed the point entirely: Landis’s positive test or Riis’s confession cannot be seen as isolated incidents. They have to be put in the context of 10 years of drug scandals, police investigations, allegations and fatuous denial.

Prudhomme, for his part, maintained that because the organisers do not want doping and the Tour is a great event its followers should take it seriously. Both are fair points: the men who run the Tour began to sound warning notes over an impending drugs crisis before the blazers who run the sport, while the Tour’s backdrop remains unmatchable, the athletic challenge it offers always immense and always absorbing.

There are answers, however, and some of them came last week at a business park in Hertfordshire. The American, Bob Stapleton, has been given the task of cleaning up the T-Mobile team that invested millions in Riis and another fallen idol, Jan Ullrich.

Realising that their investment in cycling could damage their image, T-Mobile have moved rapidly from hands-off to hands-on. The riders are vetted, questioned closely about their ethical approach and rigorously blood tested. When the tests offer doubtful results, as with last year’s Tour stage winner Serhiy Honchar, the cyclist is suspended pending further analysis and may eventually be sacked.

The aim is to create a culture where doping is unacceptable, and it was only legitimate to ask Stapleton why he has stuck with members of his team management who had doped themselves. His answer was that poachers make the best gamekeepers.

Stapleton is calling for many things that make sense: a united front on anti-doping from organisers, teams and the governing body, plus a rigorous anti-doping programme including DNA testing. There is every incentive with a wave of sponsorship contracts up for renewal in 2008.

The other reason to afford the Tour a little faith came on Sunday from Grenoble where a product of the British Olympic system, Bradley Wiggins, won the opening time trial in the Dauphin Libr stage race. Wiggins abhors drugs and is proud to say so. He’s a fan of his sport and like many fans he sometimes contemplates going elsewhere as one drug scandal follows another. The argument, “one doped, all doped” is easily thrown at the Tour but it can be turned on its head: if Wiggins and other cyclists who merit belief - such as the young Briton Mark Cavendish - can win clean, so can others. Just think carefully which ones they may be.

It’s a small bit harsh to write exclusively about doping in the Tour de France when that race has done more than most to exclude drugs and even riders even suspicion of taking drugs.

Also I don’t like the notion that because Cavnedish is English he must be clean. There was a notion in Ireland years ago that Roche and Kelly were clean but they were riding against cheats. That patently wasn’t the case as history has shown us. By all means highlight those who are doping but don’t assume that who you perceive as the good guys are not doping. I remember last year Kimmage asking questions of David Millar about his drug taking (he was caught for doping and suspended). The British media gave Kimmage a hard time: explaining that Millar was now a voice against drugs (he was high profile in his claims of rehabilitation). Kimmage reminded them that Millar denied taking drugs when he was first caught so why should we believe him now?

I’m not suggesting either Wiggins or Cavendish are doping but it’s dangerous terrirtory to highlight individuals as virtuous.

I thought that article was a little but cynical. Cycling has done an awful lot to rid itself of doping over last year or so. It will be a long process but it is getting harder and harder for the cheats imo. The Tour De France in particular is making great strides. In someways its a victim of its own success though because whenever a rider is suspended or banned because of doping the inevatible reaction from large secions of media or those who know little about cycling is that this sport must be getting more and more unclean. In actual fact I regard it as a sign that there are no more or very few cover ups, they are making a bigger effort then ever before to catch cheats and the whole race is getting cleaner.

They are definitely making bigger efforts than ever before in Le Tour alright. Look at Basso and Ullrich not being allowed to ride last year. Basso has only admitted to doping a few weeks ago but once there was suspicion he wasn’t allowed enter.

They’re trying very hard but as a gruelling stamina sport it is susceptible to doping.

The outcry every time a rider is caught or suspected to have doped can be very infuriating though. It will get 30 seconds on the news where the script will be ‘yet another rider caught? is there a future for cylcing?’ rather than ‘this sport is making great efforts to clean itself of doping. further evidence of this is x being caught’.

Yeah I agree. Doping convictions and suspensions should be viewed as the strength not the weakness of the sport. I’d argue they’re doing far more than athletics for example.

Watching a mountain stage of Critrium du Dauphin Libr (warm up for Le Tour) and Vinokourov and Valverde have cracked big time. Former was race leader up to today. Moreau looks very strong.

Good scoop for Irish cycling. CSC are probably the strongest team in world cycling at the moment.:
CSC confirmed for Tour of Ireland
Monday, 18 June 2007 16:07
The Tour of Ireland received a boost after Team CSC were confirmed for this year’s inaugural race, which takes place from 22-26 August.

Team CSC has won the UCI Pro-Tour team competition for the past two years and competes in the biggest events each season.

Team CSC currently has Andy Schleck, Stuart O’Grady and Frank Schleck in the UCI top 12 individual rider world rankings after the Giro D’Italia.

The team members for the Tour of Ireland will be announced at a later date and Director Sportif Kim Andersen, a previous winner in Ireland in the 1896 Nissan Classic, has a wealth of talent to choose from including big names like Fabian Cancellara, Bobby Julich and David Zabriske.

Youngster Andy Schleck has produced great results since be became a professional with CSC providing the team with second place overall in the Giro D’Italia when it finished in Milan on June.

He’s a great man to still be in charge of the team at that age.

T Mobile confirmed their participation a couple of weeks ago as well. Could be a great race.

Another disciplinary measure from T Mobile: they’re doing absolutely everything to clean up their team anyway. Fair play to them and I hope they get the credit from the media they deserve.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/other_sports/cycling/6767073.stm

T-Mobile sack Ukrainian Honchar

Honchar was expected to play a big part in this year’s Tour de France
Ukrainian Serhiy Honchar has been sacked by his T-Mobile team for violating their code of conduct.
Honchar, 36, was suspended on 11 May following abnormal blood test results during the Tour of Romandy.

The decision was “based upon follow-up tests completed in early June and additional information gathered during his suspension,” a team statement said.

“Mr Honchar is released immediately and is free to seek employment with another team or company.”

Honchar, who won two time trials in last year’s Tour de France, has not failed a doping test and T-Mobile did not elaborate on the nature of the tests or give further information.

They really are doing their upmost to clean out the team althought their director sportif has a history of doping. Reason they give for this is that he will be better at cleaning out the team because of his knowldge. Surely they are open to legal cases been taken against them though? Hope they do well in Le Tour.

Saturday, July 7: Prologue - London
Sunday, July 8: Stage One - London - Canterbury, 203km
Monday, July 9: Stage Two - Dunkirk - Gent, 167km
Tuesday, July 10: Stage Three - Waregem - Compigne, 236km
Wednesday, July 11: Stage Four - Villers-Cotterts - Joigny, 190km
Thursday, July 12: Stage Five - Chablis - Autun, 184km
Friday, July 13: Stage Six - Semur-en-Auxois - Bourg-en-Bresse, 200km
Saturday, July 14: Stage Seven - Bourg-en-Bresse - Le-Grand-Bornand, 197km MOUNTAIN
Sunday, July 15: Stage Eight - Le-Grand-Bornand - Tignes, 165km MOUNTAIN
Monday, July 16: REST DAY
Tuesday, July 17: Stage Nine - Val-dIsre - Brianon, 161km MOUNTAIN
Wednesday, July 18: Stage Ten - Tallard - Marseille, 229km
Thursday, July 19: Stage Eleven - Marseille - Montpellier, 180km
Friday, July 20: Stage Twelve - Montpellier - Castres, 179km
Saturday, July 21: Stage Thirteen - Albi - Albi, 54km ITT
Sunday, July 22: Stage Fourteen - Mazamet - Plateau-de-Beille, 197km MOUNTAIN
Monday, July 23: Stage Fifteen - Foix - Loudenvielle - Le Louron, 196km MOUNTAIN
Tuesday, July 24: REST DAY
Wednesday, July 25: Stage Sixteen - Orthez - Gourette - Col dAubisque, 218km MOUNTAIN
Thursday, July 26: Stage Seventeen - Pau - Castelsarrasin, 188km
Friday, July 27: Stage Eighteen - Cahors - Angoulme, 210km
Saturday, July 28: Stage Nineteen - Cognac - Angoulme, 55km ITT
Sunday, July 29: Stage Twenty - Marcoussis - Paris Champs-lyses, 130km

Teams:

AG2R
Agritubel
Astana
Barloworld
Bouygues Telecom
Caisse dEpargne
Cofidis
Credit Agricole
CSC
Discovery Channel
Euskaltel
Francaise des Jeux
Gerolsteiner
Lampre
Liquigas
Milram
Predictor-Lotto
Quick Step
Rabobank
Saunier Duval
T-Mobile

Unibet have not been allowed to enter due to their sponsorship by a gambling organisation which contravenes French law. Unsurprisingly they’re protesting (Le Tour is sponsored overall by a lottery agency) :

Unibet.com has filed new legal action against Tour de France organiser Amaury Sport Organisation (ASO), which is to come before a court in the French town of Lille in the coming days. The ProTour team is hoping to force ASO to grant it a last minute spot in this year’s Tour starting in London on July 7.

“We want to be granted a start in the Tour de France, not with Unibet.com but with Canyon.com, the team’s sponsor with which we are allowed to start races in France,” explained Unibet.com’s general manager Koen Terryn to SportWereld.

“Earlier we made a suggestion to the ASO that we could ride the Tour in our orange and black outfits. In the past, this has been allowed for other teams. An example is Boule d’Or, who, in France ride with modified jerseys displaying Sunair, instead of the cigarette brand. That is what we want to implement now also,” Terryn said.

“I am not sure if I should get my hopes to high, but we need to do something. To just stick our neck out and let them chop it off is not our objective. I hope that they yield, and start using their common sense. They have already turned the clock back 20 years in cycling, they are turning new sponsors away from the sport, but it seems that they don’t care about that in France.”

Terryn further claimed that some Unibet riders were being barred from starting their national championships this coming Sunday, despite offering to wear their Canyon.com jersey. “They are conducting a witch hunt, the big three are working together,” he said.

“In Spain we have all the necessary licenses, but it seems that still, they would rather turn us away than let us start. Even our start in the Vuelta, is not guaranteed. We will wait and see what comes of this new court case against the ASO; afterwards, we will need to have a discussion within the team over its future.”

The organisers have also declared that anyone who has not signed the riders’ charter will not be allowed race. The charter reads:

"I do solemnly declare, to my team, my colleagues, the UCI, the cycling movement and the public that I am not involved in the Puerto affair nor in any other doping case and that I will not commit any infringement to the UCI anti-doping rules. As proof of my commitment, I accept, if it should happen that I violate the rules and am granted a standard sanction of a two-year suspension or more, in the Puerto affair or in any other anti-doping proceedings, to pay the UCI, in addition to the standard sanctions, an amount equal to my annual salary for 2007 as a contribution to the fight against doping.

“At the same time, I declare to the Spanish Law, that my DNA is at its disposal, so that it can be compared with the blood samples seized in the Puerto affair. I appeal to the Spanish Law to organize this tests as soon as possible or allow the UCI to organize it.”

Team News

rench squad Cofidis has announced its nine men that will compete in the Tour de France, July 7 to 29. The team will be Sylvain Chavanel, Nick Nuyens, Stphane Aug, Geoffroy Lequatre, Cristian Moreni, Ivan Parra, Staf Scheirlinckx, Rik Verbrugghe and Bradley Wiggins.

In a teleconference with media from around the world, Johan Bruyneel announced today that the nine-man Discovery Channel roster for the Tour de France will be led by American Levi Leipheimer. Joining Leipheimer will be fellow American George Hincapie, along with Alberto Contador, Vladimir Gusev, Egoi Martinez, Benjamin Noval, Sergio Paulinho, Yaroslav Popovych and Tomas Vaitkus.

Euskaltel-Euskadi has announced its final Tour de France team, comprising of the Basque squad’s strongest riders. The team’s directors expect Haimar Zubeldia will be named as the squad’s captain when it’s officially unveiled on Monday. Zubeldia will be helped by Mikel Astarloza, a strong time trialist, veterans Iigo Landaluze and Gorka Verdugo, young hopes Igor Antn, winner of a stage of last year’s Vuelta a Espaa, Rubn Prez, Amets Txurruka and Jorge Azana and veteran sprinter Iaki Isasi.

German squad Gerolsteiner has announced six riders that will take to the start of the Tour on July 7, in support of its GC hopes Thomas Fthen and Bernard Kohl. Along side its two leaders, the squad will send Fabian Wegmann and Stefan Schumacher, with both riders expected to go for stage wins, along with Heinrich Haussler, stage winner in the recent Dauphin Libr and Robert Frster who are the teams hopes for the sprint stages. The final three places for the squad are expected to be announced after the weekends national titles.

Lampre Daniele Bennati, Paolo Bossoni, Marzio Bruseghin, Danilo Napolitano, Daniele Righi, Patxi Vila and Tadej Valjavec. The final slot to be decided among Fabio Baldato, Claudio Corioni and Massimiliano Mori.

Predictor-Lotto has made a 10-man pre-selection for the Tour de France, from which, one rider will not take part. The 10 riders named in the pre-selection are: Mario Aerts, Dario Cioni, Cadel Evans, Chris Horner, Leif Hoste, Bjrn Leukemans, Robbie McEwen, Fred Rodriguez, Wim Vansevenant and Johan Vansummeren.

Saunier Duval-Prodir Jos ngel Gmez Marchante, David Millar, Iban Mayo, David de la Fuente, Juanjo Cobo, Iker Camao, Rubn Lobato, Christophe Rinero and Francisco Ventoso.

T-Mobile The final roster of nine riders to start the London Prologue will be selected from Lorenzo Bernucci, Marcus Burghardt, Mark Cavendish, Bernhard Eisel, Andreas Klier, Linus Gerdemann, Bert Grabsch, Giuseppe Guerini, Roger Hammond, Kim Kirchen, Axel Merckx, Michael Rogers and Patrik Sinkewitz. Rogers is certain of his place having been named as team leader.

Individuals:

Alessandro Petacchi and Leonardo Piepoli are still waiting on results from B samples taken during the Giro. Giro champion Danilo Di Luca, Eddy Mazzoleni, Riccardo Ricco, and Gilberto Simoni all showed hormone levels that resembled pre-adolescents, which might result from the use of masking agents intended to hide doping. Astana’s Matthias Kessler - who won Stage Three of the Tour last year - has tested positive in an out of competition test.

Ullrich has retired after last year’s Puerto revelations, and Ivan Basso is suspended for two years after confessing. Many other riders who were at T-Mobile in the 1990s also confessed to using EPO at the time, including current CSC director Bjarne Riis (who confessed to using it in 1996 when he won the tour) and Milram rider Erik Zabel.

therock67 wrote:

Teams:

AG2R
Agritubel
Astana
Barloworld
Bouygues Telecom
Caisse dEpargne
Cofidis
Credit Agricole
CSC
Discovery Channel
Euskaltel
Francaise des Jeux
Gerolsteiner
Lampre
Liquigas
Milram
Predictor-Lotto
Quick Step
Rabobank
Saunier Duval
T-Mobile

Unibet have not been allowed to enter due to their sponsorship by a gambling organisation which contravenes French law. Unsurprisingly they’re protesting (Le Tour is sponsored overall by a lottery agency) :

[quote]Unibet.com has filed new legal action against Tour de France organiser Amaury Sport Organisation (ASO), which is to come before a court in the French town of Lille in the coming days. The ProTour team is hoping to force ASO to grant it a last minute spot in this year’s Tour starting in London on July 7.

“We want to be granted a start in the Tour de France, not with Unibet.com but with Canyon.com, the team’s sponsor with which we are allowed to start races in France,” explained Unibet.com’s general manager Koen Terryn to SportWereld.

“Earlier we made a suggestion to the ASO that we could ride the Tour in our orange and black outfits. In the past, this has been allowed for other teams. An example is Boule d’Or, who, in France ride with modified jerseys displaying Sunair, instead of the cigarette brand. That is what we want to implement now also,” Terryn said.

“I am not sure if I should get my hopes to high, but we need to do something. To just stick our neck out and let them chop it off is not our objective. I hope that they yield, and start using their common sense. They have already turned the clock back 20 years in cycling, they are turning new sponsors away from the sport, but it seems that they don’t care about that in France.”

Terryn further claimed that some Unibet riders were being barred from starting their national championships this coming Sunday, despite offering to wear their Canyon.com jersey. “They are conducting a witch hunt, the big three are working together,” he said.

“In Spain we have all the necessary licenses, but it seems that still, they would rather turn us away than let us start. Even our start in the Vuelta, is not guaranteed. We will wait and see what comes of this new court case against the ASO; afterwards, we will need to have a discussion within the team over its future.”

The organisers have also declared that anyone who has not signed the riders’ charter will not be allowed race. The charter reads:

"I do solemnly declare, to my team, my colleagues, the UCI, the cycling movement and the public that I am not involved in the Puerto affair nor in any other doping case and that I will not commit any infringement to the UCI anti-doping rules. As proof of my commitment, I accept, if it should happen that I violate the rules and am granted a standard sanction of a two-year suspension or more, in the Puerto affair or in any other anti-doping proceedings, to pay the UCI, in addition to the standard sanctions, an amount equal to my annual salary for 2007 as a contribution to the fight against doping.

“At the same time, I declare to the Spanish Law, that my DNA is at its disposal, so that it can be compared with the blood samples seized in the Puerto affair. I appeal to the Spanish Law to organize this tests as soon as possible or allow the UCI to organize it.”

Team News

rench squad Cofidis has announced its nine men that will compete in the Tour de France, July 7 to 29. The team will be Sylvain Chavanel, Nick Nuyens, Stphane Aug, Geoffroy Lequatre, Cristian Moreni, Ivan Parra, Staf Scheirlinckx, Rik Verbrugghe and Bradley Wiggins.

In a teleconference with media from around the world, Johan Bruyneel announced today that the nine-man Discovery Channel roster for the Tour de France will be led by American Levi Leipheimer. Joining Leipheimer will be fellow American George Hincapie, along with Alberto Contador, Vladimir Gusev, Egoi Martinez, Benjamin Noval, Sergio Paulinho, Yaroslav Popovych and Tomas Vaitkus.

Euskaltel-Euskadi has announced its final Tour de France team, comprising of the Basque squad’s strongest riders. The team’s directors expect Haimar Zubeldia will be named as the squad’s captain when it’s officially unveiled on Monday. Zubeldia will be helped by Mikel Astarloza, a strong time trialist, veterans Iigo Landaluze and Gorka Verdugo, young hopes Igor Antn, winner of a stage of last year’s Vuelta a Espaa, Rubn Prez, Amets Txurruka and Jorge Azana and veteran sprinter Iaki Isasi.

German squad Gerolsteiner has announced six riders that will take to the start of the Tour on July 7, in support of its GC hopes Thomas Fthen and Bernard Kohl. Along side its two leaders, the squad will send Fabian Wegmann and Stefan Schumacher, with both riders expected to go for stage wins, along with Heinrich Haussler, stage winner in the recent Dauphin Libr and Robert Frster who are the teams hopes for the sprint stages. The final three places for the squad are expected to be announced after the weekends national titles.

Lampre Daniele Bennati, Paolo Bossoni, Marzio Bruseghin, Danilo Napolitano, Daniele Righi, Patxi Vila and Tadej Valjavec. The final slot to be decided among Fabio Baldato, Claudio Corioni and Massimiliano Mori.

Predictor-Lotto has made a 10-man pre-selection for the Tour de France, from which, one rider will not take part. The 10 riders named in the pre-selection are: Mario Aerts, Dario Cioni, Cadel Evans, Chris Horner, Leif Hoste, Bjrn Leukemans, Robbie McEwen, Fred Rodriguez, Wim Vansevenant and Johan Vansummeren.

Saunier Duval-Prodir Jos ngel Gmez Marchante, David Millar, Iban Mayo, David de la Fuente, Juanjo Cobo, Iker Camao, Rubn Lobato, Christophe Rinero and Francisco Ventoso.

T-Mobile The final roster of nine riders to start the London Prologue will be selected from Lorenzo Bernucci, Marcus Burghardt, Mark Cavendish, Bernhard Eisel, Andreas Klier, Linus Gerdemann, Bert Grabsch, Giuseppe Guerini, Roger Hammond, Kim Kirchen, Axel Merckx, Michael Rogers and Patrik Sinkewitz. Rogers is certain of his place having been named as team leader.

Individuals:

Alessandro Petacchi and Leonardo Piepoli are still waiting on results from B samples taken during the Giro. Giro champion Danilo Di Luca, Eddy Mazzoleni, Riccardo Ricco, and Gilberto Simoni all showed hormone levels that resembled pre-adolescents, which might result from the use of masking agents intended to hide doping. Astana’s Matthias Kessler - who won Stage Three of the Tour last year - has tested positive in an out of competition test.

Ullrich has retired after last year’s Puerto revelations, and Ivan Basso is suspended for two years after confessing. Many other riders who were at T-Mobile in the 1990s also confessed to using EPO at the time, including current CSC director Bjarne Riis (who confessed to using it in 1996 when he won the tour) and Milram rider Erik Zabel.[/quote]

This is the Astanta Team:
Antonio Colom (Spain)
Maxim Iglinskiy (Kazakhstan)
Serguei Ivanov (Russia)
Andrey Kashechkin (Kazakhstan)
Andreas Klden (Germany)
Daniel Navarro (Spain)
Gregory Rast (Switzerland)
Paolo Savoldelli (Italy)
Alexandre Vinokourov (Kazakhstan)

It looks very strong. There are two definite contenders there in Kloden and Vinokourov. Add Kashechkin into the mix and thats a very strong team. It is remarkably strong considering Kessler and Mazeloni aren’t allowed compete because of doping investigations. I didn’t know about Di Luca and Ricco rock. Are they under investigation now? Great to see such speed in doubts been raised about their performance.

Di Luca is before some Italian Olympic Committee trial this week I think.

Article from Tom Humphries on Le Tour from today’s Irish Times

Obscene Tour still shamming it up
Tom Humphries

Locker Room : This column is a slave of the seasons when it comes to reading.

Last week, knowing that the great obscenity that is the Tour de France was looming, we went to the bookshop there to see what literary works might deliver us from ignorance and provide padding for a column the core philosophy of which could be summed up in one short sentence: The Tour de France is about as genuine a sporting endeavour as pro wrestling.

The bookshelves were heaving with hagiographies of Lance Armstrong. The canonisation business hinges on faith, and when it comes to St Lance I am a devout atheist, a slightly uncomfortable position to be in because I notice the sports people off whom I parasitically leech to make my living increasingly hold Lance in the highest esteem and are becoming more and more prone to quoting inspirational little Lance-isms the very recitation of which drives them to higher levels of abstinence and dedication. My response generally extends no further than, “Yeah, he was something else all right.”

Between all the happy-clappy Lance-loving bumf and the breathless treatises on what a wonderful, life-affirming thing the Tour de France is, two more sober books were clinging together shoulder to shoulder: Matt Seaton’s The Escape Artist and Paul Kimmage’s Rough Ride .

Kimmage first, because to see the third edition of his classic, all freshly gussied up and fitted out with a new and extensive afterword, is especially sickening to those of us who write rather more perishable sports books.

Bad cess to him, we said, noting that if we could take performance-enhancing drugs to produce a book as valuable, as honest and as timeless we would willingly do so and then go away and live off Lance-isms alone for the rest of our days.

The odd thing about Rough Ride is its persistent freshness. As a tale of love and disillusionment it is timeless. When Rough Ride was written back in the late 1980s the Tour de France still existed as a shimmering illusion of what man is capable of. Those lingering shots of the peloton snaking through backdrops of sunflowers or maize; the epic days in the mountains; the breathless time trials - there seemed to be a simple purity to cycling and the demands it made of its practitioners which elevated the Tour to the status of a religious rite.

I remember when Kimmage got off his bike, wrote his book - spitting in the soup, as they saw it in France - and began a career in journalism, there were those who felt he should be denied an NUJ card on the grounds he was just a “failed cyclist”.

This was an uncomfortable time for those of us who were entering the business, because we were failures at a range of rather less taxing endeavours than pro cycling. But it also told us something odd. The barrier for entry into our trade should always be low in order to attract people who bring the perspective of interesting lives, but Kimmage had already performed a more significant act of journalism than any of us will ever do. He had ridden in three Tours and had written his experiences without hubris or dishonesty. He was scary.

For the 2006 edition Kimmage went back to the Tour de France and his experiences, appended now to the original text, almost mirrored the structure of Rough Ride . For a period he was seduced by the grand theatre of the Tour and the beautiful monasticism of its main actors. Then cycling betrayed him again. Floyd Landis!

One element of Kimmage’s experience fascinates more than any other on last year’s Tour: journalism has given up! The press rooms of the Tour are filled with the gullible and the fanatical and the worshipful.

Even after Festina, Willie Voet, Marco Pantani, Operacion Puerto, David Millar, Jesus Manzano, Bjarne Riis and an endless list of shames and scandals, they refuse to believe that what they are covering is essentially a crock and the men they are godding up are largely frauds. By and large they have become the PR flacks for a debauched industry, and the sport they all fell in love with no longer exists.

It’s nine years since the Tour de France rolled around these particular parts and we allowed ourselves to forget about Kimmage and to hang out the bunting and pat ourselves on the backs and say what a great little nation we were that we should be part of such a grand spectacle.

Our ability to fool ourselves served nicely as a symbol of the 1998 Tour, which of course turned into a running epic of farce and cheating over the following weeks, leaving us looking foolish and used.

This year the Grand Depart for the Grand Illusion takes place in London, a city whoring its newly minted Olympian reputation for a chance to bed down with the most debauched sport in the world. Time passes. We learn nothing.

My own first-hand experiences of cycling are limited to having covered one Nissan Tour and riding to school a few times on the three fine days of weather we enjoyed in the 1970s. The attraction of saddle sores, lycra shorts and aching limbs was a mystery to me until the summer of 1987, when in the space of three weeks I metamorphosed into an instant expert on the politics and nuances of life within the peleton.

Matt Seaton’s poignant book deepened my understanding of what makes people love cycling and made me marginally more forgiving of those timeservers in the Tour’s press tents. Somewhere along the way, one imagines, they shared Seaton’s obsession.

As are all books involving an obsessional love of a sport, Seaton’s book has been compared to Fever Pitch , but that fails to do it justice.

Seaton’s book is more heart-wrenchingly grown up. He talks about cycling in a way that rekindles something boyish in any of us who were obsessed with a sport at a time when school books seemed to be the work of the devil.

The part of the book where Seaton talks in loving detail about bike and body, the eternal commitment to the maintenance of both, and the hypnotic descriptions of his own races reminded me in a strange way of that wonderful movie Breaking Away .

The Escape Artist takes a sharp turn into the real world. Seaton was married to the writer and journalist Ruth Picardie, and her terminal illness and shockingly premature death floods his world with grief and perspective.

The book is about putting away boyish things. He mentions reading Rough Ride and the overwhelming disillusionment that came with following cycling in the years after that being so comprehensive as to make Paul Kimmage’s experiences look almost quaint.

There’s a line in The Escape Artist which stays with you (there are many in fact).

“Sometimes,” says Seaton, “the peleton lets the lone escapist, the rider who slips the bunch, have his day.”

That’s what the Tour de France should be like, a dreamworld for those with the dedication and talent to slip life’s irresistible gravity. Instead it is a besmirched facsimile of life itself, a tattered reminder of our essential weaknesses, a betrayal of its own romance.

When Le Tour pushes off I won’t be studying the peloton. All in all I’d rather be watching the Dublin minor hurlers. Yesterday they reminded me of romance and obsession, and watching them do their lap of honour in Croke Park I wasn’t wondering about what tawdry revelations of EPO, growth hormone or good, old-fashioned stimulants would later stain the sepia of the memory.

• Not a great article: for someone who campaigns so vociferously about drugs in sport why is there no praise for T Mobile’s concerted and genuine efforts to clean the sport (or their team at least anyway)
  • likewise no praise for Le Tour’s organisers who are setting the most stringent rules of any sport to try and clean the sport. In marked contrast to golf for example.

Rock/Piper, my cycling sources tell me that the lad from Kazahkstan is a shoo-in. what price is he and would you agree with the prediction?

thedancingbaby wrote:

Rock/Piper, my cycling sources tell me that the lad from Kazahkstan is a shoo-in. what price is he and would you agree with the prediction?

There are two stong Kazahkstan riders baby. The favourite for the race is Vinokourov at 2/1. I wouldn’t back him because he is not in good form (struggled in mountains recently), he is always likely to have a bad day in Le Tour and at 2/1 that is very poor value imo. Another Kazahkstan rider is Kasheckin who I put a small wager about a month ago. He is young and has great potential. He appears to be in good form and at 25/1 is decent value imo. Only problem is he rides for the same team as Vinokourov and Kloden and may have to do a lot of work for them and this will no doubt effect his own ambitions. Stay away from Vinokourov anyway baby.

Vino is raging hot favourite but like Piper I think he’s too inconsistent and one bad day might kill him. I’ve a sneaky feeling for Moreau this year - what odds is he Piper?

Kasheckin would be a decent shout if they offered fair places for each way but with such a big field and Kloden and Vino ahead of him I won’t be backing him.

A very disappointing article from Humphries. It would have been justified to write such a piece perhaps a couple of years back but now it certainly is not. The steps which the UCI, Le Tour and indeed some individuals have taken to clean up cycling have been radical and should not be taken lightly. What does he propose be done to clean it up or should we all just give up? He applauds the Dublin minor hurlers for their endeavours but a more valid and indeed more appropriate praise could have been given to Andre Noe who got and then held the magila rose for a long time during the recent Giro. He is one of an increasing number of riders who is almost certainly clean. I suspect Humphries wasn’t watching. To clean up the sport there must be scandals and public humiliation. This in turn has caused people like Humphries to question the validity of Le Tour and other events. Perhaps if they gained more knowledge of cycling he might find that the cycling journalists who he condemns are actually more informed than him on the drugs issue.

Thanks

I was also told to back Robbie McEwan for the Green Jersey - dont even know if thats for King of the Mountains or sprints but if it makes me money I wont care - thoughts ??