Cycle, crash, cycle, crash, cycle thread

Just under 4 1/2 hours of cycling time. That new cycle path from Clontarf is very good but pretty busy

good stuff

were you shattered?

jaysus

Driver lost, pulled into hard shoulder to ask cyclist for directions.

Cyclist died after crashing into parked jeep | Irish Examiner

Cork City Coroner’s Court was told yesterday that retired CIT lecturer Paddy Cadogan, 78, from Bishopstown, died in Cork University Hospital (CUH) on June 11, 2016, arising from injuries sustained in the accident on the N22 Ballincollig bypass just days earlier.

The driver of the jeep, Andrew O’Dea, 81, from Kildorrery, told the inquest he had planned to visit a friend in Marymount Hospice, off the N22, on the afternoon of June 7 but took a wrong exit and ended up driving westbound on the bypass.

Mr O’Dea said he saw Mr Cadogan cycling slowly in the hard shoulder, and drove about 200m past him, pulled in, and parked in the hard shoulder with a view to stopping him to ask for directions.

The inquest was told it is not an offence to park or cycle in the hard shoulder of this stretch of road, which, although built to motorway standard, does not have designated motorway status.

Mr O’Dea said he put his hazard lights on, got out, and walked about 20-25 yards back towards Mr Cadogan to flag him down.

“I called out ‘excuse me sir’ but he didn’t hear me. I called out again louder, but he had his head down, and went straight past me and into the back of my jeep,” he said.

Frank McCarthy, who was also driving west, said Mr Cadogan was in a head-down racing position on his racing bike, and it appeared as if he just didn’t see the parked jeep.

“It was surreal. I’m a cyclist myself so it made it all the more surreal. He made no attempt to brake,” he said.

Mr Cadogan was rushed by ambulance to CUH but he suffered several cardiac arrests as a result of the fall from his bike, and died from his injuries four days later.

His son, David, said his father was an experienced cyclist who was on a 30km training cycle to Ovens at the time — a route he had done hundreds of times. He said his father was very safety conscious, was wearing a helmet, hi-vis vest, and flashing armbands, and would have had his head down to scan the road for debris.

A good tired if that’s a thing. Slept like a log last night but already looking forward to getting out again during the week - I can see how people get addicted to it.

The ROK is a nice cycle, very busy though and as I have said before, you need to have your wits about you from start to finish. Don’t be shy of hills as there are 2-3 real climbs on the ROK (Coomakista and Molls being the main two) but they are long slow climbs (often referred to as drags) as opposed to steep climbs. The more climbing you have done, the easier you will find it. ]
You will be well able for it

Thanks @Onthesod - info much appreciated and your confidence too! I’ve had a look at the two hills on Strava. It would seem that they are very similar distance/height climbed to the Enniskerry-Glencree road so will def try to get that in over the next couple of weeks too.

Hmmmmm.

Bro?

I’m dubious that a lad looking for directions would pull in 200m ahead, and have either the time or the inclination to put on hazard lights, check his mirrors, and climb out of the car, and walk backwards slowly gesturing the cyclist to slow down, as the cyclist, ignoring the shouts, proceeds to cycle straight past him, still 25metres from the car, despite apparently being flat out on the drops, and into the back of the Jeep.
The driver claims he did all these things in the time it took the cyclist to cover 175metres, whilst insisting the cyclist was flat out on the rivet.
I don’t believe it.
I don’t believe the distances or times claimed.

Do you think Frank McCarthy will be ‘looked after’?

He came across as a very credible witness in that report

I’ve never heard of a McCarthy to be a credible witness ever pal. :grin:

Cycling comrades - I got an awful scare last night.

On a club training spin, three of us were single file heading back towards Daly’s Cross. A car was in the hard shoulder and as I moved out, I barely tipped off the wheel of the cyclist in front of me (he said afterwards he didn’t even feel it) - the bike lost control and I ended up veering towards the centre of a busy road with cars coming towards me before hitting the deck. Thankfully, body and bike are generally fine. A bit of road rash and a quite sore knee today but nothing that will keep me off the road for long. A few cars stopped and showed great humanity but I was able to get back on the bike and cycle the final km home. Could have been so much worse

Life is precious lads. Enjoy it. Stay safe on the Bikes

6 Likes

Sorry about that. Road rash is not nice.

Thanks pal. Had to lie to the wife and tell her I fell over in the car park because I didn’t clip out in time. I think she bought it. If she saw what happened, the bike would be on done deal

Were ye on a downhill bit? Busy road that.

Yeah had just come up the little drag at Gooig, so were clicking about 30km/hr judging by the Strava

Jeez @caulifloweredneanderthal you were lucky. Glad to hear you are ok. Road rash is a bitch but at least its better than broken ribs or collarbones

You were too close to the bike in front of you.

Clearly. Completely my own fault. Think he got battered by a crosswind which momentarily slowed him down. Barest contact with his wheel was all that was needed