Cycle, crash, cycle, crash, cycle thread

Just back from the Deise Greenway there. Did the stretch from Shanacool into Dungarvan and back. The 5k after Shanacool to Scartore is the jewel in the crown of the route with the spectacular Ballyvoyle Tunnel

And then the vista that opens out at Knockyoolahan hill of Clonea strand.

The run from Scartore to Dungarvan is bland enough though. Best section to do would be Kilmac to Scartore about 20 k

11 Likes

Unreal. Are there places to rent out bicycles at the route?

There are @Bandage all along the route. In fact there is a bike hire place beside the car park at Shanacool.

1 Like

Was it busy? Great scenery

It was busy alright

Any rollerskaters on it?

Think I might give it a lash this evening

1 Like

No. Lot of families walking though

Did you roar at them to fuck out of your way ?

1 Like

Dungarvan to Kilmeaden and back, just over 70km round trip. Very enjoyable, the tunnel is a highlight alright. Surface gets worse the closer to the city you get. Definitely grades up out of dungarvan that one or two % all the way past Kilmac that can suck the life outta the legs. Loads on it which was great to see.

1 Like

What average you get when out on your own. I have only started back recently but struggling to get up over mid twenties

Lovely stuff. I didn’t find that gradient out of Dungarvan bad because you’d have a westerly at your back all the time.

1 Like

Depends on surface, elevation, wind conditions etc. On a short TT type route, I’d generally be anything from 32-34km/hr. My solo spins usually 27-29/30. However, I don’t always go out busting a gut either to be honest. Some spins are there for recovery and would look more to heart rate than speed as a guide
Was a group spin today over 92km. Average 29km, spent a hell of a lot of time at the front to help out some others who wouldn’t be strong, but still kept the heart rate to an average of 130bpm.

I’m at nothing so.

Nah mate. Just keep training and you’ll be grand. Get in with a group. It’ll help for longer spins. It takes a while to get up to speed

1 Like

That makes what I did this evening better as I thought I could have done better than the 28.7km/h ave. Though the greenway crossing roads didn’t help, nor the surface in places. But I didn’t have much more in me tbf, knackered now

Nothing wrong with that average on a solo spin at all @Locke. Good to mix it up between speed work, intervals, hills and so on

1 Like

I reckoned I was doing 16 kph

3 Likes

I’m grand on the flat and slight downhills. I know that’s easy to say but I can burn it up when in a group and do damage. I’ll hang in on the 1-2% up gradients but out the backdoor on the steep stuff, just too big to compete. If I can get a run on a short sharp hill I might hang on but once in the red, good luck and thanks

Oh…

Cringe