Cycle, crash, cycle, crash, cycle thread

Size matters when it comes to the hills. I reckon I’m at least 8-9 lbs lighter than when I started cycling properly 3 years + ago.
Wouldn’t be strongest on hills but have improved a lot. That, and going off doing my hill work, means I don’t ever have a big group waiting at the top of a hill for me anymore

1 Like

How old are you?

A group makes a good 15-20% difference. At least that’s what I tell myself.

You learn to climb. It’s all about breathing and gear selection. What do ye do for hill training?

33 , marginally overweight and fairly unfit.

Get a few long spins in at handy pace, say 25/26 kmph. That will help. The auld weight is a big factor.

1 Like

Tfk. It’s good for your health !

I find that sometimes you’re better taking on a long 7-10km drag and learning how to pace on that as opposed to a short and sharp 2km hill. Staying on the saddle keeps a steadier HR and cadence, giving you more energy for the parts where you’re gonna need to pump the legs.

We don’t do much specific hill training. Our Sunday spins will also include 1-2 good drags or hills.
We’ve started doing a Friday evening spin where we set people off at one minute intervals. The first 7/8km of the spin is all climbing but nothing too severe. It starts to levels out then and at 14km we all regroup and cycle back together

1 Like

Sounds lovely.

The other lad going flat out on a scenic cycle :grinning:

1 Like

And flat road, you need to get a bit of leg speed going.

1 Like

Lads, recently got a new set of wheels and got bike fitted for it, or so I thought. I have done the ROB and a couple of mid length spins on it (75-80Km). Last Sunday, an incredibly hot day, I did 77K with about 600M climbing, after about 60K I got a savage pain in my right knee (the good one - waiting for surgery on the left) and just about limped home crippled, only averaging 23-24Kph. I was inclined to put it down to cramp (unusual as I would usually be well hydrated) and or the heat. About 1 mile out from home, it resolved and I thought I was fine. I went for a spin mid week (lunch time spin of 28K with 400M climbing) on an old training bike and little to no problem. Out again yesterday with @manaboutdog and the deelside wheelers and after about 5Km could tell it was coming again, had to cry off after about 20K and limped home. The knee was perfect 5 mins after getting off the bike and fine today. The pain is like a knife up through my kneecap. I have seen on line that it could be pedals, saddle, unfitness, overfitness (I seriously doubt it).
cc @caulifloweredneanderthal @balbec @Locke any of you lads ever have this problem? If so, how did you get on?

Try loosening your pedals as far as they’ll go to give yourself the most possible float (foot rotation whilst still clipped in) and also try angling your cleats slightly outward, so that your toes/feet are a slightly angled inward when cycling.

But he showed those amateurs on their pink tricycles!

Did you adjust your saddle height? What kind of gears are you pulling on the climbs? You might not have the kms built up for doing the dog on it.

Knee pain like that is more likely to be foot malposition I reckon.

Could be bike fit too? There’s a fella out Caherconlish direction who’ll do a very precise two hour bike fit for about €60 in his house. Haven’t gone to him but have only heard good things.

Can get a name and contact if you wish @Onthesod

What kind of pedals do you have? I use Look pedals. good rotation on them.

Going back to the shop tomorrow, going to get all of the above looked at. I have 105 groupset and would usually be mid barrel or even up towards the bigger cogs on most climbs (on the inside front derailleur). In relation to the climbs, I usually pick a cadence and maintain to the top, its usually a slow one but I find that’s the way that suits me the best. On the flat I try and push on a bit but sure who doesn’t? As for Kms, I would have the guts of 2K done this year (Averaging about 140-150 for the last 10-12 weeks)

Yeah, it’s Look Keos I have.

1 Like

If you could @caulifloweredneanderthal, that would be great. As I said, I am going back to the shop to morrow but if no joy, then I will definitely give him a bell