Cycle, crash, cycle, crash, cycle thread

Is that a euphemism?

+353 87 225 3439

Bob Murray is his name

Sound. Thanks

As featured on the roaster and people that look slow threads, Clare FM’s big Gavin Grace is known to many posters.

He did a piece on cycling recently, where he was mic’ed up going around on the bike:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GmFnaecfU-I

I did the Ring of Kerry on Saturday in the end. If I’m being honest, I thought it would be harder than it was - it was mainly a slog due to the bad weather/visibility and the huge numbers of bike on the road.

In relation to the number of bikes, it’s hard to describe how packed it feels at times. You keep on expecting it to open up a bit but there always seems to be lots of bikes in front and behind, overtaking and being overtaken. There were a couple of bad crashes along the way including one at the end on the Moll’s Gap descent that required them to stop all the cyclists for 20-30 mins and seriously slow it down after that. I’m not sure how they easily solve that issue though as the more cyclists the more cash for charity …

Anyway, I’m glad I did it and there was a great atmosphere at different stages despite the rain. There’s a really good buzz at the top of Coomakista or Molls Gap and the feed stations too. Not sure I’d do it again because of the crowds issues but would be keen to other similar events.

5 Likes

That sums the whole thing up perfectly.

Had same experience when I did two years ago, bar the weather. We had a wet start but it gradually turned into a cracker. They’ve reduced the number of entrants since.

Was also underwhelmed at difficulty level. Had taken two boys for a 125km spin about 2-3 weeks beforehand to get them prepped and that was about ten times as hard a cycle as ROK. You’d put on weight at ROK with all the food stops

I went back there Saturday night to pick up a friend of mine who is an experienced cyclist. Never again was his view. He has done it 4 or 5 times but reckoned was far too busy and too many inexperienced riders on the road in lethal conditions. He was showing me a few photos from molls gap or somewhere and you couldn’t see 3 foot in front of you with fog

Some money spinner for the town (and the charities). The former the main reason it will keep going for as long as they can

1 Like

Yeah @tallback, you are dead on. Its not a tough cycle. I have known people to take it on and finish it with very little training. Hopefully though it has whet your appetite for those sorts of cycles. #ROB2018

1 Like

Anyone looking for a Ring of Clare ticket. I booked it but now something else has come up and I cannot make it :disappointed:

I might take that off ya, I have to see what way I’m fixed with football first. Work away if any other takers though

When is it mate?

29th July in Muldoonistan, might not suit ya

1 Like

Out in the car there this morning on the way into town. There were two tradesmans vans parked on the New cycle track at Clontarf, basically blocking the whole track and a Lorry owned by a "traffic management " company. All at different spots in the space of about a half mile. Cyclists can be screaming marys sometimes but this was utterly cuntish disregard of other road users.

This lad nearly got it real good

http://www.stickybottle.com/latest-news/video-never-cycle-inside-truck/

Artic driver should have broken his nose when he got out

Hi @Raylan. I had found a home for it before replied back I am afraid. Sorry buddy

1 Like

Wanker

Didn’t realise the cyclist was in the left turning lane the idiot.

Yeah the entire block of cyclists there were wrong as shit. Trying to tell the driver then you should have known everyone cycles in the wrong lane it’s london :rofl:

Oh there’s a big truck beside me and that road over there has no bike lane and is pretty narrow. :confused: I know what I’ll do, I’ll go as fast as I can in the trucks blind spot and see can I beat him to that narrow gap.

2 Likes

Clearly you like to stick your nose in other peoples chat. You must be a right arsehole in the pub.
You didn’t even know when the fcuking cycle was on… Twat. Fcuk off back to Oz

3 Likes