Cunts on Bikes

[quote=“farmerinthecity”]What a load of rubbish. I get the feeling that you are now arguing for the sake of arguing.

So you are saying that the reason that people cycle is that they can go down one way streets, weave in and out through cars at high speed and dangerously jump red lights because they know that they can get away with it? Thats some slur on the many good ROAD USING cyclists out there.

That cannot be justified and is pretty rampant from what I have seen out there. None of your talk about pedestrians, breaking the green man, traffic lights in Leitrim, getting fitted for a stair lift in your gaff* will get around that.

*You may actually have mentioned that in the pub on Friday night[/quote]

The reason many/most people cycle is because they’re not subjected to the whims of traffic. The bicycle is versatile enough to move in and out of traffic. You’ve admitted on here before that you don’t know how to drive on a motorway so you’re not in a great position to be lecturing cyclists on what they’re doing wrong.

Like most of your comments that one about the stair lift is way over my head.

[quote=“myboyblue”]You are allowed to cross a single white line in the case of an emergency or for access, causing a tailback is a dangerous act and in such cases overtaking a dangerously slow moving object is acceptable.

I believe I asked you to outline what rules of the road cyclists are allowed to break? I feel it only fair that I as a motorist am privvy to these.[/quote]

Overtaking a cyclist is not an emergency, don’t belittle your argument by suggesting otherwise.

I responded to your second point above by reminding you I’m not familiar with every rule of the road but I have provided one example to you. I don’t speak for all cyclists by the way so only act in accordance with my instructions when you’re confronted by a cyclist wearing a TFK hoodie.

The Rock is resorting to cheap and untrue retorts now.

And still hasn’t crucially condoned cyclists for flying in and out of traffic at speed, breaking red lights dangerously and going the wrong way on a one way street.

He also mentioned that he is not aware of the rules of the road. Keep an eye out for him lads -

[quote=“farmerinthecity”]The Rock is resorting to cheap and untrue retorts now.

And still hasn’t crucially condoned cyclists for flying in and out of traffic at speed, breaking red lights dangerously and going the wrong way on a one way street.

He also mentioned that he is not aware of the rules of the road. Keep an eye out for him lads -[/quote]

Here Farmer, fuck off with telling people stuff about me. Deleted that extra stuff you wrote.

What was my untrue retort?

And I did condone “cyclists for flying in and out of traffic at speed, breaking red lights dangerously and going the wrong way on a one way street.”

Idiot.

The only reason cyclists fly in and out of traffic is either because the infrastructure isn’t available to them or vehicles are parked/stopped in the cycle lanes. The majority of drivers have no respect for cycle lanes whatsoever and I’d be surprised if they even notice them most of the time.

As I cyclist I often break red lights but only when it safe to. How many times do we see drivers doing the same thing about a second or 2 after the light has gone red.

Being in control of a much powerful vehicle, which offers so much more protection than a high-vis vest, drivers have a duty of care to cyclists and pedestrians who are so much more likely to be seriously injured in any collision. Unless the cyclist is commiting serious breach of the law the courts will always rule against the driver in any accident.

Causing a tailback on a road is a a danger, to say otherwise is being pedantic.

I responded to your second point above by reminding you I’m not familiar with every rule of the road but I have provided one example to you. I don’t speak for all cyclists by the way so only act in accordance with my instructions when you’re confronted by a cyclist wearing a TFK hoodie.

To say you reminded me would mean you told me before, when you didnt. Care to now repost your example?

[quote=“Fran”]
Being in control of a much powerful vehicle, which offers so much more protection than a high-vis vest, drivers have a duty of care to cyclists and pedestrians who are so much more likely to be seriously injured in any collision. Unless the cyclist is commiting serious breach of the law the courts will always rule against the driver in any accident.[/quote]

Just because you’re in a less powerful machine or vehicle does not make you immune to the laws of the land.

[quote=“therock67”]Here Farmer, fuck off with telling people stuff about me. Deleted that extra stuff you wrote.

What was my untrue retort?

And I did condone “cyclists for flying in and out of traffic at speed, breaking red lights dangerously and going the wrong way on a one way street.”

Idiot.[/quote]
You mentioned me not being aware of how to drive correctly on the motorway which is not the case.

Just read my previous post again there and meant to put not condone obviously.

Fine. Have your way. Rock the Champion of the People strikes again.

Well see how youll react when you swerve to avoid some cyclist jumping in and out of lanes and as a result cause damage to your car or maybe injure someone.

So that makes it alright?

Is it alright for drivers to drive in cycle lanes?

No, thats why I dont do it. Yet cyclists constantly weave through traffic and constantly break lights, especially pedestrian lights. One doesnt make the other ok.

Well fair dues to you MBB. If only the majority of drivers were like you.

I both cycle and drive around dublin and the biggest problems for me are caused by drivers, not cyclists

[quote=“Fran”]
The biggest problems for me are caused by drivers, not cyclists[/quote]

I’d fight that one til the day I die. As a former cyclist I would say cyclists and their attitudes towards drivers and pedestrians are the biggest scourge in this city.

It’s hardly a danger, it’s an inconvenience. Anyway it’s certainly not an “emergency.”

No need for me to repost. My post at 11.18 AM this morning should suffice.

Agreed, but there’s less of a duty of care.

You should take up the bike again. You get such a feeling of satisfaction as you weave through the rush-hour traffic

Nah, my days of the bike are long gone. I prefer my creature comforts on the morning commute.

I’m not sure what this has got to do with me asking you to name the rules of the road that cyclists are allowed to break?

It’s hardly a danger, it’s an inconvenience. Anyway it’s certainly not an “emergency.”

I beg to differ, a 10 mile tailback behind a cyclist and someone unwilling to pass would of course counstitute an emergency in many cases.

And it definitely would be a danger.

Think I may have posted this on here before but is this the sort of cycling ye lads are complaining about. Some skill involved in this - some quality near misses involved.

[media=youtube]HLzGj10fg2g

Won’t be long now til the canals will be full again-

Cycle and the City

Cosmopolitan cities such as Paris, Lyon, Vienna, and Montreal all offer a public bike scheme. Dublin now joins this elite list. On 13th September 2009 dublinbikes will offer locals and visitors a non-polluting, traffic jam-beating form of transport to get around our capital city.
Many other cities are gearing up with London launching a scheme in 2010 and Melbourne to follow. dublinbikes is effectively another mode of public transport made up of 40 bike stations around the city with no more than 300-400 metres between them. The scheme is accessible and user friendly with 450 bikes available seven days a week between 05.30 hrs and 00.30 hrs. The 40 bike stations have 795 bike stands between them so taking and parking a bike will be easy.

Dublin City Council and its partners in the scheme, JCDecaux, encourage everyone to get behind dublinbikes, cycle safely, observe the rules of the road, traffic signals and any traffic restrictions. Bikes come equipped with front and rear lights and a warning bell. Users are encouraged to wear bright clothing when cycling at night and to consider wearing a cycling helmet. dublinbikes has enormous potential and its success is largely dependent on peoples support, consideration and goodwill.

It is important for other road users pedestrians and drivers of vehicles of all kinds to be aware of the new arrivals on Dublins streets. Many of the people using dublinbikes will be visiting the city from other parts of Ireland or from abroad and their safety must be taken into account when using the road.

dublinbikes was debated for years and, like Luas, it generated a lot of discussion. But now its here it will change the face of public transport in our city. It offers something to everyone; whether they live in Dublin, work here, or are visiting.

Cities around the world deal with many problems and traffic congestion and pollution are two of the most serious. Cycling allows people to get around cities quickly without contributing to carbon emissions. One of the major advantages of dublinbikes is that it means people who arent regular cyclists can use cycling as means of making short trips around Dublin without the need to own or maintain a bike of their own. The number of people cycling is up 30 per cent in recent years and this scheme can only make it easier for people to make more sustainable transport choices.

Now is a great time to be launching dublinbikes. Dublin City Council has done much work in the last decade to enable commuters to make more sustainable choices when they choose their mode of transport. Dublin Port Tunnel and the HGV Cordon, the expansion of the QBC network and the reduction of the speed limit to 30kph in many parts of the city centre, the creation of cycle lanes (such as those on the new Samuel Beckett Bridge) and improvements in transport infrastructure all mean that cycling in the city has become safer and more enjoyable. Luas is a perfect example of how public transport can be both effective and an attractive addition to the city. dublinbikes is sure to follow this success story.

Coming to Dublin on the train for a meeting? Then why not hire a bike near Connolly Station and drop it off at a bike station near where your meeting is. Visiting Dublin for the weekend? Then why not get a 3 Day Ticket and use stations near Merrion Square, the GPO, St. Stephens Green, the National Gallery, Custom House Quay and Temple Bar to explore the best of Dublins architecture, culture and unique flavour. Or if youre living here make dublinbikes part of your commuting routine. Its great exercise and an effective and fun way to get around. Maybe youre running late to meet your friends? Use a dublinbike and make up the time quicker than the time it takes to send a text message. Well almost!

I have a bit of an issue with alot of these Cycle to work schemes… Even if only a few thousand extra people took to the streets tomorrow on bicylcles there would be fucking chaos on the roads. No point in doing it without infrastructure in place

I’d imagine it’s great fun trying to cycle along the quays side by side with the 19 Bus.

Fucking bikes, I hate bikes.

Yeah, used to cycle down O’Connell St to work-a nightmare.