Daily Debate - Joe Canning v Seamus Callanan

There’s no real comparison between moving in hurling and football. In hurling you should constantly be moving as a goalie can find a full forward nowadays. In Gaelic that doesn’t really work so you’ve to be more subtle.

Aye that’s more vision than movement though, Canning has that as well. Murphy and McBrearty are not a bad comparison to Canning and Callinan actually, both excellent players, one has much better movement than the other but also no arguing who the better player is.

Has McBrearty been the top scorer from play by far in the last 10 years?

fucking bogball… really lads?

Sure he only made his debut 9 years ago and plays much of his football in Ulster, not in the Munster hurling championship where defending is optional.

1 Like

I agree with the first bit, but you’re seething in the second part, which lets the first part down.
To play well in the forwards repeatedly, you need a dominant half back line, which JC has only had on rare occasions, or a manager shrude enough to counteract any weakness here by compressing the space, leaving two up, which again would leave callanan far more dangerous due to his movement.
Callanan has had the opportunity to play with some of the finest half back lines to ever play the game. JC simply hasn’t. Half backs, on occasion. Half back lines, we were scrubbing around for 15 years looking for a dominant chb.
Joe’s extra curricular activities are neither here nor there.
The odd encounter I’ve had with him he has been unfailingly polite, but callanan is also a gent of the highest order (he’s one of the greatest forwards to ever play the game imho). One thing about JC is the way people climb into him for using his profile to make a living. He’s no fcuking bressie, he’s got his profile through dedication and supreme talent. Nobody has given him anything, nor has he taken anything from anybody else. I can’t understand it.
If any senior Irish sportsperson is called upon by the govt to meet a visiting head of state, then it would be churlish to refuse other than on moral or humanitarian grounds. As the peace process has transformed the island for the better, one could argue that the moral imperative is actually to extend openly the hand of friendship to the queen. I find the bitterness difficult to understand.
I’m on record as saying that, God forbid, I think tipp play the game the right way, without nastiness or bile or filth. It’s why the recent trilogy Vs Galway was so great. Three great games, no pulling ,dragging or whacking off the ball.

3 Likes

You take that back, right now.

I’d love to mate, but there wasn’t. Daithi Burke Vs Callanan was epic, and I honestly think more evenly matched that most people do, but there was nowt going on off the ball, I was sitting right behind the goal.

1 Like

Callanan, definitely not that type of player.
For the record I think Joe is a better free taker and centre back than Seamie.

1 Like

Joe is the best centre back in the game mate.

A real quarter back type.

Big Joe show is supremely brilliant. Hands that made a hurl & sliothar sing. Power of strike simply awesome.

Seamie, his star was never quiet as bright as Joes at a young age ( perhaps Noel McGrath only really had same level of expectation ) but pressure to perform at Senior level was high early doors.
Maturity has made him an all round hurler now, work rate is huge, cuteness with & without the ball excellent and eye for goals as keen as ever.

2 wonderful hurlers in reality but different hurlers. Both will go down as greats and rightly so.

1 Like

I think they can’t really be compared. I’d agree with all you said.
You can’t even ask which would be first on your teamsheet, as they are totally different, though JC is an all round hurler who could fill in anywhere. SC is just an apex predator.

Noel McGrath & Joe were very similar types at underage. Both were ordained as the future of their respective County teams.

The longevity of both has been truly amazing really and we won’t appreciate it really until they both retire.

1 Like

Comprehensive win for Joe. He got votes from right across the board. The Seamie vote mostly made up of parochial less than objective Tipperary posters and non-native Tipperary supporters like @Thomas_Brady.

1 Like

Look at the calibre of posters tho … you’d die for each and every single man that voted for Callanan. If the other lot were dying on the street you’d give them a boot to speed things along.

3 Likes

:joy::joy::joy:

1 Like

That is a point but what I’m saying is we’ve been hearing for years how Eamon O’Shea coached Tipp to create and exploit space. Yes some players are more natural at it but it’s more something that’s coached and more crucially the rest of the team have to be in sync with it. If O’Shea had been with galway and canning for years instead of Tipp and callanan, do you think the same observation would apply? I’d say not.

I think callanan moves more naturally tbh.

1 Like