Decent Journalism

As good a place as any to put this

A MOCK-UP version of the front page of the Irish Times has been pulled from the site after mistakenly being posted to its ePaper edition earlier this morning.

The Irish Times confirmed to TheJournal.ie that the wrong page, which features mock articles as well as photographs and sketches to mark the end of Geraldine Kennedy’s tenure as editor of the paper, was posted but had been pulled.

Surely they could have been more creative with the headline:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-tayside-central-14279600

http://www.derryjournal.com/community/columnists/brolly_s_bites_wall_of_silence_shames_our_great_association_1_2912668

brave article from brolly though I seem to recall him not too long ago saying violence was part of the game.

that lad is still in a coma in san fran. astronomical medical bills building up too.

dp

Brolly is currently the best commentator around on GAA matters. He actually puts some thought and genuinely held opinion into his articles as opposed to the rent a quote rubbish of his peers.

thats a fantastic piece by Brolly and i agree 100% with every bit of it.

Interesting article alright. How bad is it around the country though? I’ve rarely heard of anything of that nature happening in Clare hurling to be honest. I remember a few things from games down through the years, but rarely anything as serious as outright assaults that left people in hospital. You get brawls but maybe the presence of hurleys keeps people in check.

the gerry quinn / shefflin incident being the last serious one involving a Clare player?

our own worst was probaly the ahane thing in the forties, HJM’s book was the first time I’d read anything substantial about it.

there’s always wicklow i suppose, but that’s usually refs i think.

That was a pretty sickening one alright and nearly deprived us of one of the greatest hurlers ever to play to game.

To be honest, once Shefflin apoligised to Quinn we kind of drew a line under it.

I remember one from the short lived Connaught hurling final experiment where a Roscommon lad gave Joe Rabbitte a awful clap on the head completely off the ball. Rabbitte probably deserved it but it was still a bit much.

the loughrea - portumna final when Joe Canning got a bit of attention was a bad enough example i suppose.

You can make some allowance for honest hand to hand fighting. Off the ball punches to the head where the victim isn’t looking are the most cowardly type of act possible. People who do that should be looking at jail time.

And yet the GAA have relaxed the rules for scumbags this year. I’ll throw in another thing for Kev to moan about but there’s no way Keith Higgins should have taken any further part in the rest of the championship after what he did against Galway.

You are more than likely to see a brawl at the side of the field at an underage hurling match between parents these days than you are on the field at a senior club match

Worst incident I ever saw along with Dublin’s Tommy McKeon against Wexford in Nowlan Park in 1994.

Thank fuck the U12 championship is gone anyway because that used be crazy. Paudie Butler has done great work on the coaching culture but you’ll still have 60-70% teams with at least one lunatic over them. If you took Broadford out of the equation there would be no strife in Clare at senior level. The enclosed pitches have made a big difference.

Micheal Donnellan knocked a ref out clean in Dunmore back in 99.Outstanding footballer but a complete headcase

There was a fairly serious and life threatening injury on a very talented intemediate footballer in clare last year.

How was the festival FOF?

Mark McGovern has awoken from his coma. :clap:

Decent article from Brolly, when he isn’t playing the contrarion he makes a lot of sense

Delighted to hear young McGovern has come out of the coma, I hope he doesn’t have long term damage.