Decent Journalism

Precisely. He tells the story excellently, even the first incident being lead up to the way it was. And of course the summary of the issues and possible solutions, which don’t come close to answering the questions being asked. It is incredibly difficult one to deal with. Is it a case that its reached its peak popularity and that numbers will begin to drop off naturally?

Time will tell. But I stumbled across that article and couldn’t lift my eyes from it until it was done, and there’s no better compliment I could pay to it than that.

1 Like
2 Likes

Eamonn Sweeney: Hollywood should spend less time feeling superior to sport and more time learning from it:… https://t.co/ANeOWVPB2f

1 Like

Bleh.

2 Likes

Very interesting piece on the battle for footballing talent in Manchester. Beautifully crafted webpage also.

Madness … scouting 3 year olds! Good piece all the same.

I know at utd, they have a cull of the primary school ages two or three times a year.
Parents are called in unwarned, the kids are by all accounts stripped of their club gear and shown the road. A good friend of mine said it was excruciating.
A good family club rooted in the community all the same of course.

2 Likes

City’s academy is miles ahead I believe?

The local gripe is that local kids don’t get a look in as they move up the age groups as city import from everywhere. They have an arrangement with St bedes, a localish private school whereby the city academy imports go to school there part of the day, then off to footy. Not allowed play for school.

Long enough read but pretty interesting.

Not so sure about the Alzheimer’s / Dementia caused by heading a football angle here, but a decent article. Very few characters with the sublime skills of Stan Bowles in the game now.

1 Like

The cultural choices that people make are matters of personal taste and there is something insufferable about anyone who decries, sneers, or dismisses the decision to choose one form of sport over another.

And yet it happens often enough. From golf bores to rugby yahoos and on to hurling snobs, the sporting world is run through with people for whom it is not enough merely to love their particular sport of choice.

Instead, they are unable to resist the urge to construct a hierarchy where — surprise, surprise — their game sits unchallengeable at the apex.

This is a very good read, really good.

1 Like

Great piece

How a group of Irish immigrants and a few scotch won the Big Cup:

:grinning:

whats that from?