Decent Journalism

Itā€™s amusing how much rugby vexes Ewan. In his head and musings heā€™s an honest broker - fearlessly speaking truth. However, itā€™s hard to think of many of his articles which donā€™t come dripping with his personal agenda these days (usually rugby or Dublin GAA). This is pretty clearly recognised by most now with even other sporting journalists almost giving a slight chuckle or bemused sigh when they listen to his latest rant. Ultimately heā€™s pigeon-holed himself as a professional WUM.

4 Likes

Recognized by most?

Wtf?

I look forward to Ewan telling us there is a bit of a problem with the health service in Ireland next week .

John Bull is using the treaty ports again after 80 years. I had to learn this on a British lifestyle website targeted at young adults because none of the Irish proper newspapers seemed to mention it:

1 Like

good article

the phoenix is always highlighting our slow march towards being a warmongerer

:thinking:
Mother Russia wasnā€™t mentioned in that article

SBP this morning gone for the full court press on INM

Sbp?

Sunday bus post

1 Like

Who owns the sbp?

INM

Dinny

Thats not the case is it? Owned by private equity group. DOB wasnt involved I didnt think

My bad so

Key Capital, they donā€™t have much skin in any media war. The Post isnā€™t exactly the FT even in their economic viewpoints. Mostly ran independently.

1 Like

Its a disgrace that this hasnt been highlighted by anyone in the Irish media.

That was surely signed off at the very top?

I respect The Phoenix generally and still do on this matter even if I disagree. They provide some robust questions on motivations of various stakeholders.

Though I find their reasons for ā€œprotectingā€ Irish neutrality to be naive in the extreme. Going on about how this has ā€œserved Ireland well in the pastā€. The past does not mean it should be our future, the world constantly changes. We have seen direct flouting of our neutrality in our airspace in the last number of years.

I find the derision of people who suggest raising our defense spending to he pathetic. Being able to defend yourself is a cornerstone of being a nation imo. The Phoenix types I have no doubt have legitimate concerns about Ireland becoming apart of NATO but we have massively benefited from our geographic proximity to NATO counties for half a century. NATO itself has massively benefited from the US being willing to pick up the tab on their lax defense spending.

The idea behind perpetual non alignment is childish in the extreme.

2 Likes

Is this a joke post? In what way will we defend ourselves? Charm, blarney and bluster are our only weapons pal. If someone wants to attack us theyā€™ll walk all over us militarily. Aside from extra navy ships patrolling our fishing waters there is nothing our defense spending should be doing.

2 Likes

Agreed. The need for an Irish army went when 3000 micks failed to stop Strongbow landing with 100 of his mates down in Wexford. I was in Collinā€™s barracks in Cork recently and the biggest building there was the gym. Time to fire these useless layabout cunts.

1 Like

This is a nonsense though pal.

This ā€œah sure we would he overran anywayā€ stuff is absolutely drivel.

Self respect as a country means being able to police your seas and air to some degree.

Ireland cannot do that.

But if tomorrow Russia decided to do anything more than flour that, what would Ireland do?

I guarantee it would he to cry for help from the EU, NATO and the West.

I can get people stating that you donā€™t want Ireland fighting foreign wars. Fine. But Irelandā€™s defense policy has been a pure stroke of luck for decades now. Other neutral countries donā€™t try and get away with the stuff we do.

I think the idea of inserting a perpetual neutral clause in the Constitution is incredibly childish and shortsighted and spending buttons on defense is the same.

2 Likes