Diego Maradona Appreciation Thread

'82 was my favourite WC (Italy v Brazil, a game to drool over) followed by '86.
The difference was watching a game and listening to a commentator on the phone. The atmosphere. @Gman and others are right, framiliarity breeds contempt and we see too much football now. I’ve actually lost all interest in professional leagues, can’t remember the last time I watched an EPL game.
But during the club season here, I go to all our 3rd, 2nd and First grade club games andnthe U18’s when I can amd love it.

In saying all that, '98 in terms of quality was the best WC.

1 Like

Maradona is my favourite player ever and an absolute sporting icon. Talent wise no one compares even messi. But how great was his career really? He flopped at his first world cup in 82 quit/was left out of the national team for a few years. Came back and was obviously sensationally good in 86 but after that was pedestrian enough in 90 and was turfed out in 94. His winning two leagues with napoli was a phenomenal achievement in the best league in the world at the time but he flopped twice in the European Cup. I think if he played in the modern era where every bad performance is forensically picked over and there is no tolerance for ‘failure’ at all I don’t think he’d be half as highly regarded.

1 Like

Post reported.

Just rewatching the documentary and it struck me. Especially the bit about not playing for Argentina between 82 and 86 really. Nothing made of that. Messi gets lambasted for threatening to quit.

You try doing all that while taking about 10 grams of coke a week and come back to us then.

2 Likes

I tried it and I used be poor enough at 5 a side on the Tuesday night in fairness

1 Like

More like 10 grammes a night for Diego

Reports in the papers that the great man slept with 8,000 women during his colourful life. 6 more offspring claiming to be his apparently.

That’s a different woman every two days if he started to get the hop from the age of 14.

Even @Malarkey couldn’t claim those numbers.

3 Likes

It makes his feats on the football pitch all the more impressive with all the distractions he had. No drinking/drugs/sex ban there.

I’m sure he grabbed the odd hat-trick too which makes it more achievable.

2 Likes

The Netflix doc when he was in Mexico, you’d doubt very, very much he was keeping his numbers up.

1 Like

I’m down a rabbithole here. I’d forgotten this game ever took place.

Some players in that England team. They should have done better in 82 but seemed to always underperform.

1 Like

Where’s the mural of Big Jack?

Fighting over the location of a statue at the moment

Sake

That’s Marty…