Diet & Nutrition

I’d imagine most people would be a lot better off if they avoided processed food as much as possible.

After that, you’re probably most of the way there.

In slimming world they let their members eat as much rice, potato and pasta as they want. Bread, oils and sugar is what they cut down on big time.

Fat club

Wgen it comes to quackery, nutrition is no.1. And its promoted by some of the biggest companies in the world and indeed dumb governments.

1 Like
1 Like

You’re not wrong. It’s the nature of the industry. They just have to keep producing new ideas to sell to people. Supplements are worse again. It’s so similar to the the Old West medicine shows. Elixirs that will make you more powerful with some steroid ridden fitness model endorsing them. Very, very few of them have a credible evidence base.

2 Likes

Do you take any supplements yourself? I’d take protein for a month and then not bother for another while… Same with creatine and zma… But most of the time I just have a chocolate milk after training with a banana, same job.

I take an omega 3 cap every day alright but I wouldn’t consider that a ‘supplement’. I usually take Glucosamine Sulphate because my right knee is fairly wrecked and weights training can be hard on your joints. Has very strong evidence behind it, albeit with a small enough effect size - https://examine.com/supplements/glucosamine/

Not taking Creatine at the moment but it’s probably the best supplement there is. Well researched, safe, and it actually works. Not going to transform you or anything but I have definitely felt a bit of a difference in the onset of fatigue. The only other one I would think about is Citrulline mallate as there seems to be some evidence for it reducing muscle soreness - https://examine.com/supplements/citrulline/

Try to get my protein from dietary sources. Whey protein is good if you can’t but if you’re getting 2g per kg of bodyweight I’m not sure if there’s any point in buying it. I found this site recently where it gives you a profile of your vitamin & minerals intake when you input your typical daily diet into it - https://www.fitday.com - Good way to check if you’ve any dietary insufficiencies. For the most part you almost certainly don’t though.

2 Likes

Glucosamine is one I keep meaning to get alright…I’ve a power lifter mate who has been telling me to get it for years.

Not really a supplement as such… but I love my can of Nocco before a session - it’s a bcaa drink but it’s the caffeine I love… get a right good bolt of energy from it… or maybe it’s just all in my head.

Caffine has been shown to boost performance

The last few posts on this thread.

:laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

3 Likes

Yeah as Kev says, caffeine works alright. Don’t really like taking it so late in the evening but it definitely affects your energy levels. Took BCAAs once before in the powder form. Found it rough enough on my stomach but in something like that they’d probably be grand.

Since a change in work schedule recently, training of any sort has almost been non-existent bar a 35km cycle per week. I’ve had to use diet to keep me fighting fit. Apart from L-lysine and Magnesium Citrate, I don’t supplement. Would anyone else be concerned about taking a multivitamin due to the risks associated with force-fitting to ‘bell curves’, rather than tailoring to individual needs?

I’ve started freshly grinding seeds (flax, sunflower, pumpkin) every morning and adding it to porridge for the family. Also throw on some ground almonds. Full of essential fats (flaxseed is the only seed especially high in omega-3), and also have protein, calcium, magnesium, zinc, vitamin E. I find myself getting much more out of breakfast as a result. Also, I aim to have an egg a day - poached or scrambled. Frying fucks up the phospholipids and the other essential fats. Haven’t felt the need to add in an Omega supplement, but am open to persuasion.

3 Likes

Why did you enter this thread?

1 Like

Interesting. I haven’t made a granola since I ran out a couple of weeks ago. I’ll probably make one up tomorrow or Sunday but I’ve been heaping flaxseed onto my weetabix.
I may try a few new things in my granola to mix things up a bit. Thinking about t ad king the nutribullet out of storage also

Same as that. Hard to bate a bowl of porridge, especially with the winter on its way.

@Bandage has to read every single last piece of scutter we splatter onto the forum. He’s been quite resentful since that day there were 500 posts about gender dysphoria. It’s entirely understandable. Maybe he needs a brain fat rich diet?

To read the posts, mate.

Any quick fix food/drink/supplement wise if someone is a little fatigued? I’ve been over doing heavy training after not doing it in a long time and the glands/lymph nodes are swollen and throat a little sore too… Body feels fine but my immune system is obviously being over worked ??

I was feeling wreaked for months there. Started taking that Revive supplement every day. It’s dear, about 35 quid a month but after two months I’m running through walls, if it’s a more direct route than the door. Give it a go for a month.

1 Like