Faldo's DIY General thread

Will there be a corresponding post in the Medical Advice thread relating to the cause for the change in mattress?

Perhaps…

Creaking lower ribs and hips on waking a lot of these morning.

Questions about hurling junior in your late 30s or chucking cows into the back of your car might be more pertinent to your creaking ribs than mattress turnover time

1 Like

I think you are supposed to turn them over and around every few months. If it’s firm and comfy I’d not change it. We have a really hard sprung one with a memory foam type thinnish layer over this and it’s pretty good.
Spent a fortune on the mattress. Figured you spend more time in bed than anyplace else.

Don’t think you can turn the memory ones over… could possibly do a 180 with it maybe. We spent a nice bit on this one too. 7 years though… might be time to reinvest.

No, it’s just a thin sort of a memory foam spread, maybe an inch or two thick, that goes across the top of the proper mattress. You practically need a jcb to shift the mattress itself. It weighs a ton.

It’s generally accepted that when it stops absorbing nocturnal emissions its working life is over :wink:

1 Like

Plumbing and electrical related query.

I have several showers in my house. Only one of which is electric, and has now packed up. I am considering replacing one of the other showers at the same time with an electric shower so I would have two electric showers in the house. I am aware of requirement for circuit breaker but thats a handy job so not a huge issue.

I want two electric showers for

• ease of use, less reliance on heating the hot water tank
  • cheaper i.e. less relaince on heating the hot water tank
  • more energy effecient, less hot water wastage etc.

My question is, do any of you have an alternative to the two electric shower approach. A mate of mine reckons if I replaced the current water tank with something more modern it would be cheaper to fill and would keep the water hot for close on 24 hours with a one hour blast of electricity, thus killing off one of main reasons I want an electric shower.

Also, any of you have an air to water system in the house, if so, yay or nay

La di fuckin da

4 Likes

I bet he has people over for candel light suppers too

What heats the water tank?

Emersion?

How airtight and insulated is your house. If these aren’t in place, the heat pump will have its work cut out and ultimately not be viable.

Regarding the extra electric shower, that’d be a no. Unless you install 3-phase electricity supply or some sort of priority switching system.

Best solution - Upgrade water tank. Get efficient way to heat it. Run showers off that. See can you get a pump in there to create a power shower.

1 Like

@Thumper is spot on here. All good advice.

Best solution for you seems to be two electric showers. Just to clarify, you can install two, but only use one at a time, off a standard electrical supply. You’ll need a very competent electrician and plenty of extra room in your fuse board for all the switching gear, to get it done.

1 Like

There used to be a cunt over the road who was mad for welding late at night, with an industrial sort of electric welder.

It felt like it used to dim the lights around the place.

4 Likes

Immersion perhaps

Used to happen in the home place when a neighbour would start welding , our lights would flicker

Yes immersion heats it. I have oil CH.

Well insulated and airtight. Was done just before I bought the house.

Does the circuit breaker not do the same job as the “priority switching system” i.e. stops both showers operating at same time?

I don’t think so. A bit more to it than that.

Is there something wrong with the boiler?

Oil is cheap and if the house isn’t draughty and is well insulated, you won’t need much of it.

Have you radiators?

The flow temps with radiators is 60 degrees plus.

Underfloor heating is <40 degrees.

An air to water heat pump is not going to give you 60 degrees, so will not really work with rads.

Consider upgrading your tank if its pretty old.

by tank do you mean the water tank in the attic?

No the boiler works ok. Oil is cheap, at the moment! but its not inconceivable that you could be paying twice what you are now to fill it within 5 years so Im not convinced its a long term solution.
I do have radiators yeah. The house is warm and not draughty, so heating it isnt the primary concern. But maintaining hot water is probably costing disproportionate amount on the elec bill, and as kids get older need for hot water will just increase.

thanks for the advice :clap:

Could you get solar panels for the hot water?