Faldo's DIY General thread

its a consideration. Aspect of house is such that it would be well suited also. But i have a pal who is involved in renewable energy (sells solar amongst others) who doesn’t particularly recommend it. I think he is unconvinced about the longevity of the technology compared to some other solutions. He has the air to water system which seems ideal, but he said (as did Thumper) that lot of other factors involved in that, not always resolvable in a retrofit, seems ideal for a new build alright.

Nope, do you have a water cylinder in the house - hot press maybe? Its like a big kettle. Usually fed from a tank in the attic. These days, more so direct from the mains and pressurised.

There are two classes of heating in a house - space heating and water heating.

It sounds like your space heating is fine and you are happy enough with the rads and oil.

The water heating is mainly done by electric resistance heating (immersion) I’d imagine. There are cheaper ways to do that. Oil, solar, heat pump, etc.

It sounds like you have an unpressurised system - just the pressure from the gravity in the tank in the attic feeding into your water cylinder.

If you want a second shower, go with the priority system.

If you want an improved system with all showers working well with hot water, see if the system can be upgraded - pressurised cylinder, pumps, etc.

All down to cost.

Sound man, yeah I have a big cylinder in the hot press downstairs.

Hot water definitely run off a timer connected to that tank, and not off the oil I dont think.

I wouldnt mind spending a few quid up front if it would cut down the ongoing costs.

Are you urban or rural?

Any access to timber?

One of these lads is the job in that case -

Throw a pile of logs in every few days. Thats over kill really for you though.

Bascially you want to heat water for your hot water requirements. A good way to do that is to use a large, well insulated tank to store the hot water and heat the water using oil, gas, etc.

Get a plumber in to see what you can do?

C’mere, did you ever do anything about the swallows that time??

No. Still waiting for them to fuck off, in fact I think they have in the last few days. Place is destroyed in bird shit

Good man, I knew you’d do the right thing.

2 Likes

yeah think thats probably the best approach.

That yoke looks like it would drive the titanic?!!

I have a stove in the house as well, not on back burner though and too far from tank

Yeah, they are a great job if you have timber lying around.

Get somebody in to have a look.

1 Like

No, your shower CB is 40 Amps. Your main CB is 63 Amps most likely. So only one can be on at any one time. So one must be turned off before the other one can turn on.

2 Likes

FML

Here is my hit list to for this week. Looks like house is going through the 7 year itch.

1. Dripping kitchen tap
  2. Electric hob fucked
  3. integrated dish washer not integrated anymore
  4. 3 sinks unable to hold water
  5. Immersion coil in cylinder fucked (thank fuck for solar)

I fixed an oven door that wasn’t closing properly with a well placed kick to the corner of it last night. I can travel for the right fee.

5 Likes

Could you not get a man in to do those jobs?

1 Like

:rollseyes: you have to try and fix it yourself first, usually by making it worse. Then you call the man in.

Felt very proud of myself fixing the dripping tap recently.

Since moving into the new house at the end of June I’ve put up two TV wall mounts, assembled an insane amount of flat packs (no thanks to Littlewoods’ suppliers lack of comprehensible instructions) and drill the shite out of various parts of the house to put up curtain poles, bathroom cabinets and the like.

I feel my strength still lies in Marketing so I’m delaying my jump into the world of construction for now.

1 Like

My mother says electrical appliances go in threes. She is usually right, helped by the fact that the time period for the three is fairly open ended.

2 Likes

I have actually tried to 4 of them. (New Immersion Coil
needed so pointless tackling that one)

1. The Tap needs new valves but they cant be got, so new tap
    needed. I dont have the right wrench to remove tap. Over to you Joe Plumber.

2. I repaired the hob and got it going but I double checked
    the wiring I did a few days later and they had all melted :anguished: . I’ve
    identified the faulty part and ordered it from Siemens

3. I am not a carpenter and never will be.

4. Cunting Chinese sinks. Need to scour amazon ebay for replacements
    parts.

1 Like

So Chinese sinks leave you feeling empty after an hour as well?

2 Likes

How can a sink fail to hold water?

What happened the dishwasher?

@KinvarasPassion lost the stoppers

1 Like