Faldo's DIY General thread

What the fuck would you know about it, on should always a carry a sledge (not the lad out of U2) a lump hammer, 2 iron bars for leverage, wheel brace, various screwdrivers and spanners as well as a selection of nuts and bolts and of course a VICE GRIPS.

The Vice Grips Turfcutter are an abomination and should be abandoned by all ye who seek to use them. Even in professional hands they generally make an utter dogs breakfast of any nut.

[quote=“turfcutter, post: 617372”]always a carry a sledge
[/quote]
:clap: You cant beat a good ‘persuader’

I just punch things.

This didn’t go to plan yesterday. Sent Mrs Rocko to the hardware to pick up a #13 spanner and they said they needed to know more than just a number. Presume it’s 13 milimetres because they asked if that’s what it was and she just left the shop without answering in a Rockoesque panic.

That’s the type of inaction and indecision she must have learned from the Green Party.

The best way to avoid situations like that Rocko is to just by a whole spanner set.

Why didn’t you send the father in law?

Hmmm… someone tried to put 2 + 2 together.

That’s what I sent her for originally and caused the original problem because the set she got went up in 2s.

I sent the father-in-law for a set of screws and rawl plugs at the weekend so couldn’t send him again.

I shall be tiling the bathroom floor during some down time next week. It’s currently floor boarded. Anyone know if I need to put something over it before I tile?

All tiling tips welcome, too. I’ve done it before but it was a few years ago and I neglected to file the important bits in my memory. Thanks in advance.

Ah here, asking questions like that. A boy doing a mans job

i suggest using a thin layer of ply underneath and tiling using a flexible grout. especially if its a softwood floor.

id agree, if its a large enough floor do this, a 4mm ply and scrwew the shit out of it
if its a tiny jacks say 2-2.5m2 ike your typical urban dwelling then it hardly matters, movement will be minimal

Having tiled the shit out of the downstairs, I’m comfortable that I’ve passed my tiling manhood test. That was a concrete floor, however.

Ta fisty, plywood is what i was thinking.

Screws or nails, does it matter? Jacks is about 4.5m2

def screws

Deary fucking me :o

FFS

Dude in the tile shop recommended nails, hence the question. I understand it’s tough for the likes of the “built-my-own-shitter-with-my-bare-hands-same-as-i-wipe” brigade to countenance a fella asking.

The lad behind the counter had a lot of experience tiling I take it