Doing my head in

Lads

The touchpad thingy keeps freezing on the new laptop.
Its fine for a while in Internet Explorer and then just stops working. The arrow is stuck on the one part of the webpage and won’t move. Neither of the buttons work then.
The only way to get it back working is to close the lid of the laptop and then open again.
Any suggestions for what might be causing this and how to remedy it?

WBY

Install firefox and stop using IE - might solve the problem

Nah, sounds like your going to have to get it looked at, either reinstall a driver or a loose cable

It’s actually a “cursor” I believe, but I’ll allow that, carry on…

Is there a button at the top of the pad?
Some laptops have a button to turn the pad on and off.

Sent an email to the HP support people and followed all their instructions but its still happening periodically ( last night it was every 15 min today only every hour) Reinstalled the driver for synaptics to some improvement but not complete remedy

Don’t think there are any buttons

WBY

Can you plug in an oul mouse?

Have you powered down and removed the basttery? There
was a problem with dells due to the build up of static electricity.

Brand new laptop and having a problem like this.

Send it back and get a new 1, it’ll break your heart, there could be a few problems with it, some simple, some huge, but send it back.

[quote=“The Runt”]Have you powered down and removed the basttery? There
was a problem with dells due to the build up of static electricity.[/quote]

Think its a HP?

Ya its a HP
I’m sure there’s some simple remedy.
Am going to give HP tech support another chance- they were fairly prompt replying to me first time around.
They say they’ll get somebody local to call me when I want.

WBY

I’d be with Clareman on this. If you’re getting a hardware problem on Day 1 then send the thing back and get a new one. You’re entitled to a new laptop, you don’t need to settle for a repair. And Curry’s have to provide you with a new one, but HP may do it either.