Drugs in sport (and non sports)

In Tipperary?

Drug test everyone who does a park run too, and goes to a gym.

1 Like

I don’t think Drom truly believe that Testing will ever be implemented but they are just highlighting the issue which is a scourge in Club GAA, so just having the conversation might help even a small bit.

1 Like

Davy Fitzgerald would have won five in a row with Clare if it wasn’t for their rampant drug use.

3 Likes

There was much more going on in that Rathdowney thing than ever came out

Which one was that again?
It’s hard to keep up with all the GAA social media scandals.

It wasnt a social media scandal. The Rathdowney Club brought the motion to congress about drug use in the GAA. It was merely to educate players, it wasn’t drug testing as far as I can recall. But it was a shot by the Club and those it was meant for read it loud and clear.

Looks like the secret wasnt just Irish priests getting them to run laps

Any implications for Kipchoge and his pletheroa of records I wonder. He is with Nike isnt he?

Seems like Ian has known all along?

Ian’s an all-right sort

Kipchoge now holds four of the five fastest marathon times in history, and since winning his first marathon in Hamburg in 2013, has only lost twice in 19 starts – his first defeat coming in Berlin in 2013, when Wilson Kipsang ran a then world record of 2:03.23, before being banned in 2020 for four years for doping offences.

Indeed, there are currently 50 Kenyan athletes, mostly marathon runners, suspended by the Athletics Integrity Unit (AIU), a national tally smaller only than Russia’s, though none we know of have any links to the Kipchoge camp. Still, much has been written about Kipchoge’s religious zeal and devotion when it comes to his training numbers, a little less around his numbers of anti-doping tests in recent years.

Did he not suspect it before October?

Everyone knows that only cyclists dope

1 Like

I thought twas cause they lived in the Mountains

Next you’ll be telling me Jamicians don’t have magic short twitch muscles

Pretty sure Ian was at a Kenyan training camp last year.

This is from 2015

Russia mate.

You should read the article

Around the same time, Seppelt aired another documentary, which uncovered equally damning evidence of doping practices in Kenya, including secretly filmed footage of so-called Kenyan doctors openly providing EPO and other illegal substances to local athletes. Should Wada now order an Independent Commission report into what’s going on in Kenya, then the Russian athletes probably won’t be the only ones in danger of missing Rio.

Ah here, he’s not exactly Woodward and Bernsteining it there.

You asked if he had mentioned Kenyan doping before now. He’s mentioned it consistently over many years

Second-place finisher Boniface Tumuti from Kenya, who ran a national record on 47.78 in an event where Kenya had no tradition, hasn’t broken 50 seconds in the three years since, and appears to have dropped off the circuit completely.

Considering Kenya’s anti-doping record during and since Rio, athletics team manager Michael Rotich banned for 10 years for providing advance notice to athletes of doping tests, women’s marathon gold medallist Jemima Sumgong banned for eight years in January for fabricated her medical records, and 1,500 champion from 2008 Asbel Kiprop also freshly banned for doping, there is that feeling: what else might be?

“I wouldn’t say I do [wonder] often, sometimes I have, but I wouldn’t dwell on it, because there’s nothing I can do about it,” says Barr.

“He [Tumuti] completely disappeared under the rug. And especially considering Ireland has one of the best anti-doping programmes, there’s millions pumped in every year, and I’m tested quite regularly. It’d be nice to know it’s done across the board. It’s just one of the ongoing struggles with the sport, isn’t it?”