Dublin GAA Thread 2011

Well the start of the GAA season is upon us already. So its time to get the Dublin GAA thread up and running.

Rumours are doing the rounds that Conal Keaney is going to play with the hurlers this year. Great news for the hurlers, I don’t think he would have featured much for the Footballers this year.

Interesting team for the first outing of the year in the O’Byrne Cup against Westmeath, unfortunately that fool O’Gara is still in the team. :angry:

DUBLIN (SF v Westmeath)
1 Stephen Cluxton (Parnell’s)
2 Nicky Devereux (Ballinteer St John’s)
3 Seán Murray (St Brigid’s)
4 Darragh Nelson (Ballyboden St Enda’s)
5 Paul Casey (Lucan Sarsfields)
6 Gerard Brennan (St Vincent’s)
7 Darren Daly (Fingal Ravens)
8 Colm Murphy (St Jude’s)
9 Kevin Bonner (St Brigid’s)
10 Alan Hubbard (Ballymun Kickhams)
11 Tomás Quinn (St Vincent’s)
12 Dean Kelly (Trinity Gaels)
13 Darragh Stapleton (St Pat’s, Palmerstown)
14 Eoghan O’Gara (Templeogue Synge St)
15 Kevin McManamon (St Jude’s)

Rumour has it that a number of dublin club footballers are after throwing their lot in with the Clare footballers next year…

If Gilroy thinks Hubbard is too small to play Championship football he might as well tell him that now and not go through the whole charade he did last year.

Hopefully O’Gara is one of them.

from hoganstand last november

Clare football boss Micheal McDermott has recruited four players from other counties under the GAA’s parentage rule.

As a county which hasn’t won a senior provincial football title in the last 10 years, Clare can avail of the rule and, according to The Irish Sun, this has led to him capturing the services of a former Meath goalkeeper, an ex-Cavan under 21, a Dublin club footballer and a Kildare man.

But Kilmacud Crokes captain Pat Burke, who has played for Dublin, and Na Fianna brothers Aidan and Brian Downes, have turned down a move to the Banner County.

“We have been hit with two of our starting 15 from the championship last year (Declan Callinan and Brian Carrig) gone away,” he said.

"It is a big plus having these four new kids. From talking to them and seeing them in a few trials in October, they were very committed. They seem very enthusiastic about playing for Clare in 2011.

“They are the sort of characters we are looking for. Come January when we pulled everyone in for the McGrath Cup, we will have a closer look at the players there.”

McDermott’s native county of Cavan availed of the parentage rule this year by recruiting highly-rated St. Oliver Plunkett’s/Eoghan Ruadh forward Gareth ‘Nesty’ Smith.

Taz I broke the Keaney story earlier after hearing it from a former Dublin footballer, I’d imagine its in todays herald at this stage.

:rolleyes:

:lol: :wink:

Blue Peter badge is on its way to you. :smiley:

You posted it after it had been announced on the radio :rolleyes:

MBB continues to make an absolute arse of himself, what a fucking tool. This is great.

The Keaney story was on Newstalk about 2-3 nights ago. :lol:

Puke they are waiting for the gp ahead this weekend for Clare to be considered a “special” county that can take players like the Dub club guys through parentage. Much like Leitrim before. Apparently KIB’s success could be a stumbling block.

KIB is a failure, he’s failed in Ireland, failed in the UK and now he’s failing in Australia

Sorry to disappoint you Sid, but I didnt. I do enjoy the other lil fellas enthusiasm to jump though when I post, tremendous work from our reigning idiot.

But you did.

Well beaten. Defence cleaned out in the first half, forwards cleaned out in the second. Liam Rushe should have been moved into full forward in the second half when it was obvious nobody up there could win any ball. 5 and half thousand, rubbish crowd.

I think the crowd of 5500 is a reflection of the lack of interest Galway people have in inter county hurling. The lack of support their co teams get is laughable. The whole county seems to be preoccupied with local rivalries rather than the county team.

A decent u21 team. I don’t agree with the notion that Dublin aren’t “ready” to win an all Ireland. I’d take the view that their 2 teams weren’t good enough this year. They just met better teams. I’m sure Roscommon weren’t ready to win an all Ireland minor but they did.

Training from 24th of may. Ffs. Seriously.

There is shock in Dublin tonight after Cuala dumped Boden out of the hurling championship. :o

Faughs to lose SS?
Were Boden missing many? That’s a huge shock

Have they changed the format this year? There’s usually a massive group stage at this time of year I thought from which it would be nigh on impossible for one of the elite teams not to qualify?