Dublin Killing

This is going to give credence to Ahern’s bill on the Central Criminal Court for gangland trials that he is trying to rush through in a week.

The victim of Saturday’s fatal shooting in Dublin may have been attacked after confronting a group of men outside his parent’s home.

Detectives believe Wayne Doherty was the victim of a row that he was not involved in.

The 32-year-old married father of two died in hospital yesterday.

He was shot outside his parents’ home in Hartstown on Saturday night.

Garda say it appears that a group had arrived at Oakview Way to attack another person who lived on the road but shot and killed Mr Doherty when he confronted them.

It is not known how many people were in the two cars that pulled up across from Mr Doherty’s parents’ house at 11.30pm on Saturday night, but one man got out with a shotgun and fired twice.

Mr Doherty was hit in the body and died at 5.30am yesterday morning in Connolly Hospital Blanchardstown.

He is survived by his wife and two young children.

Detectives in Blanchardstown will continue to carry out house-to-house inquiries today on the Oakview estate.

They are appealing for witnesses and information and are following a number of lines of inquiry.

[quote=“farmerinthecity”]This is going to give credence to Ahern’s bill on the Central Criminal Court for gangland trials that he is trying to rush through in a week.

The victim of Saturday’s fatal shooting in Dublin may have been attacked after confronting a group of men outside his parent’s home.

Detectives believe Wayne Doherty was the victim of a row that he was not involved in.

The 32-year-old married father of two died in hospital yesterday.

He was shot outside his parents’ home in Hartstown on Saturday night.

Garda say it appears that a group had arrived at Oakview Way to attack another person who lived on the road but shot and killed Mr Doherty when he confronted them.

It is not known how many people were in the two cars that pulled up across from Mr Doherty’s parents’ house at 11.30pm on Saturday night, but one man got out with a shotgun and fired twice.

Mr Doherty was hit in the body and died at 5.30am yesterday morning in Connolly Hospital Blanchardstown.

He is survived by his wife and two young children.

Detectives in Blanchardstown will continue to carry out house-to-house inquiries today on the Oakview estate.

They are appealing for witnesses and information and are following a number of lines of inquiry.[/QUOTE]

Surely its time for martial law in Dublin?

“Don’t these people ever give up? Fucking savages!”

I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again. Drugs.
It’s all drugs.
I would like to see more prisons and all druge users being sent down.
Drug dealers picked up and sent to jail (no jury).
Drug users (the lads taking cocaine in the pubs) 5 years in jail.
It’s their actions that is causing the country to be carved up by drug lords, and these guys are so paranoid that they will kill each other, or you or me or the garda if they feel threatened.
The garda already know who is doing all the crime so now that innocent people are being killed and juries threatened it’s time for a new law.
Innocent people have nothing to fear and the fact that the civil rights groups are up in arms just makes me want to puke.

Yours etc,
GSH.

[quote=“Garda Sean Horgan”]I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again. Drugs.
It’s all drugs.
I would like to see more prisons and all druge users being sent down.
Drug dealers picked up and sent to jail (no jury).
Drug users (the lads taking cocaine in the pubs) 5 years in jail.
It’s their actions that is causing the country to be carved up by drug lords, and these guys are so paranoid that they will kill each other, or you or me or the garda if they feel threatened.
The garda already know who is doing all the crime so now that innocent people are being killed and juries threatened it’s time for a new law.
Innocent people have nothing to fear and the fact that the civil rights groups are up in arms just makes me want to puke.

Yours etc,
GSH.[/QUOTE]

Was watching a report on BBC News about a week ago on Portugal. About a year back they made drug possession no longer a criminal offence and since then drug use has actually decreased as well as drug related diseases such as HIV etc.

Is there anything to be said for legalising the whole bloody thing? Very radical I know but I don’t think more cops, or removing civil liberties, is the answer in the long run.

Portugal have been on that road for a while and it’s working well for them. About 5 years ago they identified ghettos in Lisbon and Oporto where heroin was rife and they decriminalised it in those areas which was successful. Didn’t know they’d extended it nationally but while I think decriminalisation solves some of the local social problems you need to control the supply if you want to cut out the violence.

Drugs can kill people - we all know that. The heroin user knows that but still choses to take it.

Therefore is there anything to be said for making this stuff widely available and let people chose whether they want it or not? Price would become an issue here as you can be sure that drug dealers would not want to let their empires go and would undercut if necessary.

At the moment though they can name their price and it is very lucarative for them. Hence the gang warfare.

I could just imagine the consternation within drug traffiking circles if it was announced tomorrow that drugs could be legally imported.

[quote=“farmerinthecity”]Drugs can kill people - we all know that. The heroin user knows that but still choses to take it.

Therefore is there anything to be said for making this stuff widely available and let people chose whether they want it or not? Price would become an issue here as you can be sure that drug dealers would not want to let their empires go and would undercut if necessary.

At the moment though they can name their price and it is very lucarative for them. Hence the gang warfare.

I could just imagine the consternation within drug traffiking circles if it was announced tomorrow that drugs could be legally imported.[/QUOTE]

Thats all well and good farmer but you would have to ask are we, as a nation mature enough to be able to legalise drugs? All you have to do is look at the gobshites who get drunk everyday and cause grief, imagine what it would be like if the gobshites that take drugs would be like?

At the moment you have to watch who you annoy or who you say something too in case its one of these scumbags who would turn around and shoot you. Send the army in to get them then ship them all off to god forsaken Island of the atlantic coasts and leave them there to rot.

[quote=“tazdedub”]Thats all well and good farmer but you would have to ask are we, as a nation mature enough to be able to legalise drugs? All you have to do is look at the gobshites who get drunk everyday and cause grief, imagine what it would be like if the gobshites that take drugs would be like?

At the moment you have to watch who you annoy or who you say something too in case its one of these scumbags who would turn around and shoot you. Send the army in to get them then ship them all off to god forsaken Island of the atlantic coasts and leave them there to rot.[/QUOTE]

How would you measure ‘maturity’? This notion of shipping all drug users off to prison is nonsense. It has completely failed anywhere it has been employed as a strategy but it makes people feel better that ‘action is being taken’ and ‘a stand has been made’ blah blah blah. It’s this old Victorian attitude to criminal justice that has left quite the legacy in this state. Anyone who believes that the answer to our problems is grabbing a lad smoking a joint and throwing him in prison is simply a gobshite who’s opinion should be regarded as such.

According to the Indo it was all to do with a row over a christening

religion the opiate of the masses etc…

[quote=“padjo”]According to the Indo it was all to do with a row over a christening

religion the opiate of the masses etc…[/QUOTE]

If religion was the opiate of the masses sure couldn’t we just ship all the priests off to prision and outlaw catholicism like the British did and our problems would be solved. Thse concerned about drugs could learn a lot from the decline of religion on this country.

So what are you suggesting then that drugs should be legalised so more people can destroy their lives? Are you saying that if drugs are legal then the problems will go away? It wont go away, an addict who cant afford to pay for the drugs be they legal or not will still commit crimes to get those drugs. So legalising it doesnt resolve anything. I doubt it would even affect the drugs gang as they can still get the drugs and sell them to the addict cheaper, like what happens with cigerattes. As for being a gobshite are you saying that anyone who commits a crime shouldnt go to jail?

Thinly veiled “I’m a drug user”

Yours etc,
GSH.

I would be on for legalising the drug trade, it’d be one way of increasing tax revenues anyway.

Also think it’s about time pubs and clubs were allowed to choose their own closing times. When will the authorities realise the best way of avoiding aggro on the streets it to let people go home whenever they feel like and not have everyone spilling out of nightclubs and into chippers at the exact same time.

Always worrying when lads with no criminal involvement end up getting whacked like that. The Herald will have a field day with this, loads more pictures like the one in the Indo today with concerned looking locals carrying their messages talking to the Gardai. Then everything calms down and nothing changes.

Have you any interest in the strategies that have worled r do you just want to feel better about yourself? Alcohol destroys lives and wreaks infinitely more havoc on society than narcotics. Let’s criminalise that. Oh no wait, that was tried and it was [SIZE=“2”]a complete failure
[/SIZE].

[quote=“Watch The Break”]Have you any interest in the strategies that have worled r do you just want to feel better about yourself? Alcohol destroys lives and wreaks infinitely more havoc on society than narcotics. Let’s criminalise that. Oh no wait, that was tried and it was [SIZE=“2”]a complete failure
[/SIZE].[/QUOTE]

Where are the areas where the strategy of legalising drugs (not just some lad smoking weed) working?
Cocaine in particular.

If someone thinks “Holland” as an example then you’re off your head (no pun intended). Tha damage their laws have inflicted on other countries/poeple as well as their own culture is dreadful.

On the poisitve side I would say “Sweeden” has a good example. Any they are a good looking race also.

Yours etc,
GSH.

I must say I find it very, very amusing to gauge peoples reactions to the decriminalisation argument. What is especially entertaining, is the reaction of right wingers when confronted with the reality that decriminalisation removes the organised criminal element and the violence from the ‘drug problem’. Watch how quickly they develop a concern for the end user! Suddenly the addict and the destroyed life is their concern, when only five minutes earlier they wanted to throw all drug users in prison for five years - in the full and undeniable knowledge that the destroyed life of those individual will get dramatically worse.

What their argument actually swings on is state power and the power of the state to deal with the undesirable underclasses. Look at the massive prison populations in the US, primarily made up of poor black and hispanic males, a massive proportion of which are imprisioned for non-violent drugs offences. And has it made things better? No, not even slightly. But the concern for the right is not social conditions, it is state power, and this is reflected in every single one of their arguments. The fact that it clearly doesn’t work is irrelevant.

[quote=“Watch The Break”]I must say I find it very, very amusing to gauge peoples reactions to the decriminalisation argument. What is especially entertaining, is the reaction of right wingers when confronted with the reality that decriminalisation removes the organised criminal element and the violence from the ‘drug problem’. Watch how quickly they develop a concern for the end user! Suddenly the addict and the destroyed life is their concern, when only five minutes earlier they wanted to throw all drug users in prison for five years - in the full and undeniable knowledge that the destroyed life of those individual will get dramatically worse.

What their argument actually swings on is state power and the power of the state to deal with the undesirable underclasses. Look at the massive prison populations in the US, primarily made up of poor black and hispanic males, a massive proportion of which are imprisioned for non-violent drugs offences. And has it made things better? No, not even slightly. But the concern for the right is not social conditions, it is state power, and this is reflected in every single one of their arguments. The fact that it clearly doesn’t work is irrelevant.[/QUOTE]

And with that, all credibility was lost…

Yours etc,
GSH.

[quote=“briantinnion”]
Also think it’s about time pubs and clubs were allowed to choose their own closing times. When will the authorities realise the best way of avoiding aggro on the streets it to let people go home whenever they feel like and not have everyone spilling out of nightclubs and into chippers at the exact same time.[/QUOTE]

Works in Australia imo. You still have fights and all but you don’t have massive crowds converging on the same places. It’s fair to say that most of those drinking after 2am are Irish, which is funny.

As an aside, I am originally from Oakview Avenue in Hartstown. But I managed to drag myself out of the gutter and become an accountant. And I’m hard as nails.