DublinBikes

Anyone signed up for this yet or used one of the bikes?

Think it’s a smashing idea myself so think I’ll get the annual membership thing for a tenner.

First fatality this morning though! Someone killed on the quays on one.

Yeah a mate of mine stumbled across the accident on his way to work, pool of blood, stretcher, gardai etc, very unpleasant. Lethal city for cyclists if you ask me. There are better ways of keeping fit.

http://www.rte.ie/news/2009/0915/rta.html

[quote=“Sledgehammer”]Yeah a mate of mine stumbled across the accident on his way to work, pool of blood, stretcher, gardai etc, very unpleasant. Lethal city for cyclists if you ask me. There are better ways of keeping fit.

http://www.rte.ie/news/2009/0915/rta.html[/quote]

They don’t have the bike paths, having any kind of bike initiative is stupid without proper paths.

We are a retarded country for trying to run before we can walk. Build the paths first.

1 Like

[quote=“caoimhaoin”]They don’t have the bike paths, having any kind of bike initiative is stupid without proper paths.

We are a retarded country for trying to run before we can walk. Build the paths first.[/quote]

I used to be on the bus in Dublin and you’d have cyclists weaving in and out between them, it looked absolutely leathal. I would have liked to cycle to work in Dublin but wouldn’t have had the nerve for it.

The facilities are a joke and cycle “lanes” have probably made things more dangerous because cars think cyclists are boxed off when they’re not, they’re just on some painted tarmac. Actual cycle paths (like from Sutton to Fairview) are excellent and the proposed new one from Fairview to Rathmines would be super.

But you can’t have cycle paths everywhere because they have to cross the traffic somewhere and that’s where the vast majority of accidents occur. Any where trucks are turning left is lethal and that’s irrespective of road quality, cycle lanes or cycle paths that end at junctions.

I wouldn’t chance cycling here for love nor money. Always sit on the top deck of the bus and it’s frightening the risks cyclists put themselves in.

this is a long disputed topic on here, but the bus and lorry drivers in Dublin really dont give a fook about cyclists. Car drivers are just impatient, but generally dont cause fatalities. I know this will probably bring back the same old argument, ‘cyclists are ignorant fooks who go through red lights, and car drivers are ignorant fooks who run you off the road’, but the city is not equipped well enough to sustain a large cycling community.

A chap from wexford who some on here would probably know was nearly killed standing on a pavement as a truck turned left and cut up the footpath. and if you ever look at the pavements on corners and junctions, the ampount of tyre rubber worn off on the corner is frightening.

Before I had both I would have run butt naked around the city centre for either/or.

Yours etc,
GSH.

He went to DCU didn’t he? What sort long term damage was done to him? Was a good hurler too, played against him once or twice.

Don’t think there’s a more enjoyable way to get a bit of exercise than to get out cycling around some far flung place in Dublin on a sunny evening, usually out the coast somewhere. Used cycle into town every morning without a helmet. Still do an odd time. You need to have complete and utter confidence in your bike handling abilities -arrogance even - to navigate rush hour traffic on the Quays and places like Dame Street. A nervous cyclist is far more likely to get killed. An awful lot of cyclists are retards - jumping red lights and stuff like that. Then again there are a lot more retarded drivers out there.

A lot of roads in Dublin have paths but sometimes the paths are more dangerous than the road ie coming down the Stillorgan dual carraigeway which was designed by a complete mong - sometimes you’re just better off sharing the same road. Most of the paths have broken glass on them as well. I fooking hate changing flat tyres. Got a flat about three months ago and have been too lazy to fix it so haven’t got out on the bike at all this summer.

These new public bikes are brutal looking things altogether.

Sometimes you’d see lads listening to earphones while cycling in city traffic. That’s just asking to get killed.

'Tis a popular enough pastime these days alright. Regularly see lads out cycling up the Mountains on my travels up Glencullen way. Most are smart enough with only the odd gobsh*te travelling 2 abreast and holding up the traffic. Last Sunday morning thoug met a bunch coming up the hill who were a little older than the normal bunch and most were struggling, some struggling even to walk. Not sure if that was the best for their health.

Later the same day, up Sally Gap way met a cyclist who’s face suggested that an Ambulance ride back to town was imminent.

Where there is a Cycle Patch available, isn’t it now illegal to ride on the path or the road?

[quote=“Gman”]this is a long disputed topic on here, but the bus and lorry drivers in Dublin really dont give a fook about cyclists. Car drivers are just impatient, but generally dont cause fatalities. I know this will probably bring back the same old argument, ‘cyclists are ignorant fooks who go through red lights, and car drivers are ignorant fooks who run you off the road’, but the city is not equipped well enough to sustain a large cycling community.

A chap from wexford who some on here would probably know was nearly killed standing on a pavement as a truck turned left and cut up the footpath. and if you ever look at the pavements on corners and junctions, the ampount of tyre rubber worn off on the corner is frightening.[/quote]

James McDonald from St. Martin’s. One of the future stars too but that accident fooked him up. Remarkable that he went back hurling at any level at all. He was a journalist for a while-possibly a barrister or something now.

I remember that guy, very sad story, he was a promising hurler alright.

Cycle paths in Dublin are a joke, and to be honest I think the bikes will be made shite of by knacks.

[quote=“Shadow”]'Tis a popular enough pastime these days alright. Regularly see lads out cycling up the Mountains on my travels up Glencullen way. Most are smart enough with only the odd gobsh*te travelling 2 abreast and holding up the traffic. Last Sunday morning thoug met a bunch coming up the hill who were a little older than the normal bunch and most were struggling, some struggling even to walk. Not sure if that was the best for their health.

Later the same day, up Sally Gap way met a cyclist who’s face suggested that an Ambulance ride back to town was imminent.[/quote]

The cyclists who cycle two abreast are actually far safer than those in single file. They’re visible, they slow traffic down and they’re less likely to get clipped by careless driving if you have to make a big effort to avoid them.

Cycling a fair bit this past year and it takes a while to get confident in traffic but you really are far safer being wider on the road then in against the kerb. It frustrates the shit out of motorists but fuck it safety is more important.

Used to be the case but it has been revoked due to the poor standard of the cycle lanes. Where it’s a segregated path then it might still be mandatory (but I don’t think so) but certainly just for painted cycle lanes etc, you’re no longer required to use them as a cyclist.

Two abreast on a country road forcing cars to negotiate hills at sub-optimum pace isn’t safe. It encourages drivers to take unnecessary risks in overtaking them. Slow traffic, be it cars or bicycles, should not obstruct the general flow (and I don’t mean speeders).

It’s safe for the cyclists. Safer anyway.

I know it’s annoying being stuck behind cyclists/tractors etc but when you’re cycling on a back road somewhere and you keep well in to the side of the road, most drivers don’t even slow down to pass you.

Bought a 3 day pass this afternoon, cycled from Central Bank to Custom House Quay. Grand aul bikes altogether, nice and easy to adjust the saddle to midget height and away I went. Busgate through Westmorland Street made changing lanes for O’Connll Bridge an easy affair. Last year I found cycling at rush hour around the O’Connell Bridge area simular to a game of Russian Roulette, today it was bliss! Only downside were the threats I recieved from the junkie scum that congregate around Custom House Quay, looks like the bike stand there is a new shooting gallery for the fooks! Nevertheless I plan to buy the annual subscription and use these bikes a good bit over the year, a great way to get around Dublin City.

Ben knows the score

the dept of transport have allocated 10 million for a bike lane between rathmines & fairview:clap:

im cycling in now - but go through east wall as uts less busy