DublinBikes

Shocking stuff here, mbb hoping ncc dies. :frowning:

I’m just shocked to find out NCC cycles, cycling is for peasants and common folk.

It’s a wonderful scheme, isn’t it? I had 3 (three) separate cycles and parks in the city this morning. Very very handy and saves time.

I was at Kilkenomics last month and a chap called Brian McGovern from a start up called Urbo won the “pitchenomics” prize to get funding for his business. Basically it’s a dockless bike sharing system and he says it’s coming to Dublin to complement Dublin Bikes.

Apparently the cost of setting up the docking stations is prohibitive for city councils so they’re happy to outsource to other companies. These lads have copied the dockless bike sharing model from China.

Some cities are giving exclusive rights to the likes of this Urbo crowd while others (like Dublin) are inviting tenders for more than one contract.

Please feel free to share your Dublin Bike (and other bike sharing platform) stories on this thread.

Not sure how true that statement is, some company have been trying to get a license for this for two years and the council resisted.

Yeah, I saw a RTÉ news report around 2-3 months ago which had input from this other company and the city council. The company rep (can’t remember his/their name) was talking about launching later that week and a council official interviewed said they would go around confiscating their bikes. I don’t think it materialised anyway but this Urbo chap outright said a process was underway in Dublin to award the contracts. I may have been premature in saying they’d secured one of the Dublin contracts.

1 Like

I love Dublin bikes and use them at every opportunity. I got a ticket from a lad I know for the Ireland Denmark play off at very short notice recently. My train arrived late into pearse st station at about 7.15. And I had to get to a bar on haddington road to collect the ticket before going to the Aviva. I grabbed a bike outside trinity and hammered up towards haddington road leaving the bike at the station beside the canal just before baggot bridge. Popped into the bar, picked up the ticket off a sound barman and away I went. Made it into the ground for the anthems.

1 Like

Lovely to read a feel good story like that when there’s stories going around of forum moderators withholding tickets from close friends to instead hoard them for their nephews.

It’s the greatest invention of all time. I would like if they moved towards a model they have in other cities where you can take the bike from the individual stands to avoid the queues at a central release point though.

They have a dock less Bike scheme in Berlin sponsored by Lidl. The app gives you a pin code to unlock the bike. There are other dock less schemes as well.