DVD drive on laptop

Hopefully someone who’s not as retarded as me with computers can help.

My DVD drive isn’t working on my laptop. I accidentally clicked on the safely remove hardware thing for it a while ago. Could that be the problem and if so how would I go about fixing it?

I would have thought that turning the computer off and on again would have got rid of that problem. Is there any other explanation other than it’s just fucked and needs to be fixed/replaced?

[quote=“giuseppe”]Hopefully someone who’s not as retarded as me with computers can help.

My DVD drive isn’t working on my laptop. I accidentally clicked on the safely remove hardware thing for it a while ago. Could that be the problem and if so how would I go about fixing it?

I would have thought that turning the computer off and on again would have got rid of that problem. Is there any other explanation other than it’s just fucked and needs to be fixed/replaced?[/quote]

You may need to actually remove the DVD player from the laptop. This should be easy to do. Turn the laptop upside down there should be some button that you can press that will allow it to slot out. Do this while the laptop is turned on. Re insert it again and then reboot the laptop, see if that helps?

That’s as far as my expertise goes I’m afraid…
WBY

I would have thought that rebooting would fix the Safely Remove Hardware issue unless the DVD was dislodged somehow.

Have you had a look at the Control Panel to see if the device is properly enabled and there are no conflicts?

[quote=“therock67”]I would have thought that rebooting would fix the Safely Remove Hardware issue unless the DVD was dislodged somehow.

Have you had a look at the Control Panel to see if the device is properly enabled and there are no conflicts?[/quote]

Could you go into a bit more detail by any chance?

Once I’m in Control Panel, where do I go?

Sorry for being so retarded.

[quote=“giuseppe”]Could you go into a bit more detail by any chance?

Once I’m in Control Panel, where do I go?

Sorry for being so retarded.[/quote]

typical gypo

Care to offer a solution, sophisticated, well educated Rovers fan?

Go Start > Control Panel > Device Manager > Cd/DVD Drives

Click on the Drive in question and see whether it says if it’s working properly or not.

[quote=“therock67”]Go Start > Control Panel > Device Manager > Cd/DVD Drives

Click on the Drive in question and see whether it says if it’s working properly or not.[/quote]

Thanks. There’s no CD/DVD drives. Under disk drives there’s TOSHIBA MK1637GSX which is working correctly apparently. Would that be it and if it is any ideas what could be wrong. I think I’ll give up soon.

Go Start > Control Panel > Device Manager > Cd/DVD Drives

Click on the Drive in question and see whether it says if it’s working properly or not.

[quote=“north county corncrake”]Go Start > Control Panel > Device Manager > Cd/DVD Drives

Click on the Drive in question and see whether it says if it’s working properly or not.[/quote]

Try to keep up. I tried that one already!

Good answer NCC.

Toshiba sounds like it’s your hard drive but I couldn’t be sure.

If there are no CD/DVD drives then it looks like your laptop doesn’t know you have a DVD Drive. I’d be inclined to remove the drive and put it back in and hope the laptop recognises new hardware and then installs the drivers etc for it.

If you do that and the laptop doesn’t notice you’ve just introduced a DVD drive then I’d say you’ve a bit of a problem.