EPL half term report 09/10

No, I said donā€™t discount Villa. And you said that you would.

I actually distinctly remember saying City would get into the top 4 with either Arsenal or Liverpool losing out.

[quote=ā€œfarmerinthecityā€]No, I said donā€™t discount Villa. And you said that you would.

I actually distinctly remember saying City would get into the top 4 with either Arsenal or Liverpool losing out.[/QUOTE]

Which amounts to you saying that top four may include Liverpool arsenal villa or city.

[quote=ā€œfarmerinthecityā€]No, I said donā€™t discount Villa. And you said that you would.

I actually distinctly remember saying City would get into the top 4 with either Arsenal or Liverpool losing out.[/QUOTE]

Come on Farmer, the seasonā€™s half over, get off the fence: Liverpool or Arsenal?

I would be shocked if Arsenal failed to make the top fourā€¦They wonā€™t be too far off winning the leagueā€¦

Can you qualify that statement Puke? Letā€™s keep this thread serious, just as KIB man envisioned it with his lenghty introductory post.

They dont convince me I must say. Almunia aint great, when is Clichy back - Silvestre is rank, Denilson aint much of a player and Eduardo is finished. Think they might struggle for goals a bit and if Fabregas cant get fit they could struggle a bit. Before Fabregas came on against Villa they looked nothing really. I thought we had a good chance of winning before TFK. Arshavin doesnt seem bothered either, Walcott cant get fit etc

Villa are in a good position. Think Ashley Young will have a big second half to the season. Spurs will be in the shake up too.

I said that back at the time when Arsenal were floundering. I would be shocked as well if they didnā€™t make it.

Woody, canā€™t see Liverpool making the top four as much as it pains me to say it.

[quote=ā€œfarmerinthecityā€]I said that back at the time when Arsenal were floundering. I would be shocked as well if they didnā€™t make it.

Woody, canā€™t see Liverpool making the top four as much as it pains me to say it.[/QUOTE]

Iā€™m half with you Farmer but I still believe they have a good run in them. Which is something that may prove the difference between them and the pretenders. Iā€™m a Liverpooll fan but am about the most pessimistic and optimistic one (at the same time) youā€™ll ever meet. In other words I live in eternal dread and hopeā€¦

Despite not having an out and out goalscorer they have plenty of lads who can pop up and score at any moment, 53 goals already this season is testament to this, if Fabregas can get fit and stay fit they will take beating, although I must say Diaby(never really rated him) has impressed me in recent weeks and Song is a very underrated footballerā€¦Gallas and Vermaelen have a decent understanding and if Clichy can get himself back in the mix for the run in they will have a decent defensive unitā€¦Up top they are a small bit light in terms of options without RvP but they seem to be coping alright without him so farā€¦Also the fact that if they get a bit of momentum going they could well steamroll a lot of the bottom half sides

I agree. Arsenal look capable of getting results against weaker teams but the real test is results against their main rivals. As you say if they can get momentum who knows (liverpool in the last half of last season is a great example of what that can do-plus shamrock rovers in the LOI this year). Ah, a thread with opinions instead of ballhopping/slagging matches, what a breath of fresh air!

Fabregas is vital to Arsenal as can be seen from the weekend. Diaby is a good player - donā€™t know why he doesnā€™t get more game time.

A bit injury prone, he has found a bit of form, a three man midfield of him, Song and Cesc would be as good as anything in the league, with the likes of Nasri, Rosickey, Denilson and Ramsey there in reserve

They need a striker as well with Van Persie out. Arshavin is not an out and out striker and his influence out the pitch is lost when he is up top.

Surely a case could be made for Tevez alongside Drogba for the first half of the season? While he may be on fire just lately, he was in good form all season until he really took fire. Iā€™d have Evra before Cole as well, after that its a decent side, nice to see Song getting a nod, having a fine season.

Iā€™d have to agree with this, iā€™d even have Defoe in before Rooney. Rooney has had spells, and is kinda carrying United at times, but heā€™s been woeful as well. Tevez has been fairly consistant.

Oh forumites, you asked for it, you begged for it, here it is then you cunts, the official TFK EPL team of the year 09/10.

Keeper

Joe Hart gets the nod and retains his place from half term. He did very little wrong during the second half of the season and I cant believe isnt Englandā€™s first choice for the World Cup. Gomez and Reina had very strong second half showings while Given, Cech, Van der Saar had their critics but werent as bad as many were making out either.

Right back

The problem position. Sagna never really kicked on from a positive first half showing. Not that he was bad but he didnt make it an unstoppable choice. He was lucky that there was nothing remotely competitie about making this spot his own. Steven Carr a notable exception.

Centre Halves

Terry had a good month or so of solid madness that put the great leader out of contention, Richie Dunne looked a certainty all over to make the team but has been looking under the influence of an injury of late. Campbell, Kyriagkos, Alex, Hangeland and Johnson all deserve mentions for solid second half showings. But Vidic is a certainty after a superb second half showing while Dunne just about joins in on the team.

Left back

Ashley Cole was a nigh on certainty for this until injury intervened. Gareth Bale flitting between left back and left wing since he got his chance at Xmas. However Evra is a deserved choice.

Widemen

Antonio Valencia surprised me by having a fine debut season at Old Trafford. I think I predicted he would be a flop of epic proportions but didnt do enough to make it here. Nani left it too late to make an impact but a fine impact he did make post the Arsenal game. Maloudaā€™s superb second half showing got his name in lights. Right wing is more difficult, Ashley Young didnt really hit last yearā€™s heights while Bellamy predictably fell out with Mancini and Lennon was injured. So in the absence of alternatives a diamond formation was needed in midfield.

Central midfield saw the Arsenal duo of Song and Fabregas take the early running. Unfortunately Song disappointed somewhat on his return from the African Nations while Fabregas despite a fine return of 15 goals doesnt get picked for failing to fire in too many of the big games. In his absence, James Milner had a fine second half to the season when moved centrally in December. He wasnt great before hand so is somewhat lucky to get in. Beside him is a player who might raise eyebrows but without him West Ham would certaintly have gone down. Scott Parker was superb all season in an awful side. While at the front of the diamond is a man who initially struggled but finished strongly with 20 league goals to his credit. Frank Lampard. Holding the midfield is a surprise choice in many ways but Nigel De Jong did enough to warrant his inclusion.

Strikers

This season will be remembered for Wayne Rooney emergence as a true world class centre forward. Drogba returned to his best after a couple of poor years, scoring the most goals in open play by a distance. Darren Bent, Tevez and Gabby Agbonlahor had fine seasons. Gabbyā€™s return of goals would be a good bit higher but he doesnt take the penalties of which he won the majority. Defoe worryingly for England tailed off badly. But Rooney and Drogba were the best two in the league throughout which only a fully fit Fernando Torres could have threatened but alas he was unable to stay fit.

Class of 2010.

----------------------Hart----------------------
Sagna-----Dunne--------------Vidic-------------Evra
-------------------De Jong-------------------------
----------Milner------------------Parker------------
---------------------Lampard----------------------
----------Rooney---------------Drogba--------------

Chumps

Jensen
McShane, Da Costa, Turner, Spector
Delap, Cana, Scharner, McDonald,
Scotland, whats that cunts name for Burnley - Steven something (not Fletcher) him.