EPL Revamp Proposals

What do ye reckon? Celtic and Rangers to England. Gartside wants an Irish franchise too. It’s like Groundhog Day.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/eng_prem/8353937.stm

Proposals to accept Glasgow rivals Celtic and Rangers into an expanded Premier League will be put forward for consideration this week.

Bolton chairman Phil Gartside will pitch plans for a two-tier league of between 36 and 40 teams on Thursday.

It is understood there would be a top tier of 18 clubs, with promotion and relegation to and from the league.

Aston Villa manager Martin O’Neill and Spurs boss Harry Redknapp have backed the inclusion of the Scottish clubs.

Former Celtic manager O’Neill told BBC Radio 5 live: "I would like to see both teams in the Premier League. I think it would make the Premier League even stronger.

"I’ve been there, Celtic is just an unbelievable football club and Rangers also.

I would welcome Celtic and Rangers to English football if they wanted to play down here

Harry Redknapp
“I don’t think for one minute the likes of ourselves, Aston Villa, would sit back and think ‘well that’s it’, or just give up. I think all clubs would try and get stronger because of it.”

Redknapp told the Daily Record: "I would welcome Celtic and Rangers to English football if they wanted to play down here.

“No doubt about it, I’m sure they would be good for the English game.”

The proposals are a revival of Gartside’s ideas which received a hostile reception from the Premier League’s 20 chairmen six months ago.

However, Gartside, the driving force behind the revamp, has tweaked the original plans to include promotion and relegation to and from the dual-tier league, while the two Scottish clubs would initially be invited to join the lower tier.

The Bolton chairman is also believed to be open to inviting an Irish franchise into the league in the future.

Former Birmingham City chairman David Gold told BBC Radio 5 live that the Premier League needed “new thinking, new proposals, new ideas” to “save itself from itself”.

However, Stoke owner Peter Coates said there was no need to change a league which was already an “enormous success”.

“There is no indication that it [the Premier League] needs Rangers and Celtic to take it further,” he said.

And BBC Sport’s Dan Roan said the proposals would represent a “radical overhaul” of the pyramid structure.

“Gartside is one of the most powerful men in the English game,” he told BBC Radio 5 live.

“He’s one of the longest-serving chairman in the Premier League, a man who sits on the FA board, one of just three professional representatives on the FA board, so I think it’s fair to say that it’s a serious proposal and deserves to be listened to.”

A Premier League spokesman stated that club chairmen were invited last year to submit thoughts and ideas as part of a strategic review process looking at the future of the Premier League.

He also stressed that potential plan for expansion was not the Premier League’s idea but that of Gartside.

Thursday’s meeting, which takes place between 1100 and 1400 GMT, will also consider the sponsorship deal agreed with Barclays in October and the recent performances of referees may also be discussed.

http://blogs.targetx.com/snhu/ChrisDupuy/Tumbleweed.jpg

This differs between the premier league and championship how?

The 2nd teir will be a higher standard.

Would you ever stop making a show of your self…

It doesnt only for there will be two Scottish teams fighting it out with the two Wesh sides as well as the rest of the english sides to go up the EPL, which you’d imagine they should after some time of readjustment.

how?

Everyone will just want to watch Tier 1 games.

How exactly would an Irish franchise work.

I mean. How do you just create a team.
No revenue to begin with…
Where will the players come from?

Will there be some kind of draft of other teams players that fit certain criteria? One player from each squad or something.
Ta da, we have a team…

I imagine an Irish franchise would cause a lot of international law issues also.

[quote=“cluaindiuic”]How exactly would an Irish franchise work.

I mean. How do you just create a team.
No revenue to begin with…
Where will the players come from?

Will there be some kind of draft of other teams players that fit certain criteria? One player from each squad or something.
Ta da, we have a team…

I imagine an Irish franchise would cause a lot of international law issues also.[/quote]

I’d be willing to offer advice on how to set up a franchise :smiley:

[quote=“The Runt”]how?

Everyone will just want to watch Tier 1 games.[/quote]

Where did i say they won’t? Of course the top tier will be more watched, but with a few teams going down, Celtic and Rangers going into Tier 2, the 2nd tier of English football will be better than the present Championship, i predict.

This is all well and godd but what are they supposed to call it. The UKPL? Over my dead body.

:smiley:

I’d prefer if Celtic went into La Liga or the Segunda Divisin myself.

Makes perfect logistical sense. :clap:

This is a toxic idea, from what I understand there would be no relegation to the football league from the second tier premier league, non-league teams could never dream of making it to the top tier.

I imagine they’ll have to call it the British Isles Premier League if there are going to be teams from England, Ireland, Scotland and Wales in it.

would Irish EPL fans switch teams to the Irish franchise?

No. :smiley:

Over time, yes. Particularly if they did alright, what with the Irish being a shower of bandwagoning cunts.

Premier League clubs have rejected a proposal to bring Celtic and Rangers into the English top flight

[quote=“briantinnion”]This is a toxic idea, from what I understand there would be no relegation to the football league from the second tier premier league, non-league teams could never dream of making it to the top tier.

I imagine they’ll have to call it the British Isles Premier League if there are going to be teams from England, Ireland, Scotland and Wales in it.[/quote]

I’ll not stand for this
Up the Ra

Only way this might happen is if the big 4 or 5 or whatever go into a European Super League. After that, Celgers and Rantic and Wimbledon Dublin can join the rest of the duff epl teams and have their own little league