ESPN's 30 for 30 and Other Sports Documentaries

[quote=ā€œMr. Totti, post: 516029ā€]

Which ones would you recommend? Iā€™ve only seen the Escobar and Ali ones.[/quote]

Once Brothersā€¦ The OJ oneā€¦ the Red Sox World Series one are all good enough, first one is excellent.

These are what I have seen and would recommend

Kings Ransom
Peter Bergā€™s documentary on Wayne Gretzky, his decision to leave Edmonton for Los Angeles, and that decisionā€™s effects on hockey and its fans.

The Band That Wouldnā€™t Die
A profile of Baltimoreā€™s love affair with football and the Colts, focusing on the Colts Marching Band. After the Colts decamped for Indianapolis in 1984, the band remained in Baltimore and helped promote the eventual return of the NFL to the city.

Winning Time
Reggie Miller vs. The New York Knicks

No Crossover
The Trial of Allen Iverson

Jordan Rides the Bus
Jordan does Baseball

The House of Steinbrenner
Love him or hate him, there is no denying that George Steinbrenner has been one of the most colorful and successful owners in contemporary sports. Heading up a group that bought the New York Yankees in 1973 for $10 million, ā€œKing Georgeā€ emphatically branded the worldā€™s most celebrated sports franchise as his own. The Boss has boasted 10 pennants, 6 World Series trophies and a corporate net worth more than $1 billion. But for all the glory and riches, the Steinbrenner legacy is also mixed with wasteful and embarrassing spending and countless episodes of tabloid-style soap. Now with Georgeā€™s health seriously failing, the Steinbrenner heirs are finally beginning to emerge from their fatherā€™s larger-than-life shadow as they collectively move his franchise into a new home and a new era.

Once Brothers
The story of Croatian Dražen Petrović and Serbian Vlade Divac, NBA players and Yugoslavian national teammates, and how upheaval in their homeland adversely and irretrievably affected their friendship.

Jordans is probably the weakest there, but still worth a look.

Once Brothers was an excellent watch, very sad, but good to see Vlade get some sort of closure in the end. Vlade came across as a good guy I must say, he paid for one impetuous moment, that was misinterpreted by many. Petrovic seemed to be on the brink of greatness in the NBA, as a person who doesnā€™t follow Basketball, I donā€™t know if this was the case or not but judging by the highlight reels and words of others that seemed to be the opinion. Seeing Vlade walk around the streets of Zagreb and all the Croats in shock that he had the temerity to go there shows the bad feelings between the two nations exist. Would Petrovic be considered the greatest Croat sportsman ever?

Prob davon suker or boban

Goran.

Davor Suker was one of my heros growing up

boban definitely, especially for kicking lumps out of a copper trying to beat up zagreb fans

Looking to watch some of the documentaries based around football. I have watched the OJ episode and found it a good watch. Have also viewed the USFL episode which was superb, as was Jimmy The Greek. Can anyone recommend any other good ones?

The band That Wouldnt Die

Thanks mbb

lar, the pony express, deals with college ballā€¦

Thanks count. Will check that one out also

sorry lar just checkin, pony excess and the U, and run ricky run

Great stuff. Looking forward to these. Pony Excess in particular.

Not the 30 for 30, but took the opportunity to record all of Americaā€™s Game when SS were showing them in the lead up to the Superbowl. Had seen some on and off in the past, but wanted to go right through so as things stand, am just up to the 2007 Giants and while the noughties ones havent been a patch on the ones that went before it, overall the series really is an amazing watch. Some highlights have been

85 Bears
89 49ers
92 Cowboys
04 Pats
98 Broncos
93 Cowboys
82 Redskins
97 Broncos
68 Jets

Will finish these out and get around to The Missing Rings which I have downloaded. What did strike me about it was how off key both Peyton and Eli Manning seem to be. Have heard them interviewed before, but they both came across as pretty, well I dont want to say simple, but uninspiring at least. Theyā€™re obviously different animals on the field, but both came across pretty bland as opposed to those around them.

Anyone know if itā€™s possible to get a DVD boxset of 30 for 30 for European region DVD. Canā€™t seem to find any on the net.

Is it not on Amazon?

Only has region 1 (i.e. US and Canada) dvd on Amazon. Iā€™m looking to buy it as a present so Iā€™d prefer to get region 2 i.e. Europe.

pretty much all dvd players can be unlocked to region free without costing any money. I bought a cheap enough panasonic dvd for that purpose and just takes a quick search on the net for an unlock code and you have it region free from then on. looked further and managed to find it for the other dvd players in the house too, so its pretty handy to have.

http://www.download-info.com/dvd/index_new.htm
http://www.videohelp.com/dvdhacks
http://www.avforums.com/forums/blu-ray-dvd-player-multiregion-hacks/
http://www.dvd365.net/handset.htm

Donā€™t think itā€™s available for Region 2. Unlocking is straightforward enough as Gman has said though thatā€™s not ideal for presents obviously. The only other option is to download it and burn it yourself which is probably even less present-worthy.