Euro 2012 - Match discussion thread

Arbeloa should be off by now.

Arbeloa booked for his 9th or 10th foul.

Xavi as opposed to Alonso gets the hook. Presume Del Bosquet feels Xavi hasn’t 120 minutes in his legs

Should have went right

Shocking final pass from Mereiles.

Fuck that was the chance of the game. Not a perfect pass but the timing was spot on (which is where it usually goes wrong) and it did enough to give Ronaldo the chance he needed. Chance to be a hero.

Poor pass from Meireles there. If it was a couple of feet ahead of him, he would have scored it.

Thought he picked the right pass at the right time. He could have played it slightly more in front of Ronaldo but had to miss a guy and an opponent to get it there so it wasn’t straightforward. Ronaldo was definitely in the best position and was the only pass that took the defenders out of the equation.

Another shocking yellow for Portugal.

0-0 in the 92nd minute and Spain work a corner back to the goalkeeper.

The Spanish defence had all pulled to their right though, if he had put it to the left of the spanish defence there was a Portuguese player with space and he would also have had the option of playing Ronaldo in back post or having a go himself

A fucking joke.

Bandage, would you mind providing the forum with your opinion and Clarkeycat’s opinion on that Meireles pass?

One shot on target in the whole game.

I have no problem with the choice Mereiles made but the execution was very poor and put Ronaldo under pressure that wasn’t needed.

You never want to play 2 passes in a situation like that when you have a numerical advantage. Too much chance of the move breaking down and no shot materialising. If you have an opportunity to do it in one swift pass then that’s the ball to play. I thought it was imperfectly executed but it was a difficult enough pass and he got it broadly right and gave Ronaldo a terrific chance.

Portugal to win on haircuts.

Clarkey’s not here.

I thought it was a poor pass which forced Ronaldo to check his stride.

[quote=“Bandage, post: 690218”]

Clarkey’s not here.

I thought it was a poor pass which forced Ronaldo to check his stride.[/quote]

And the pass selection?

I never said play two passes but I felt as the Spanish defence had all shifted over to Ronaldo wary of his threat there was more space right and if the ball wasn’t perfect there was always the opportunity to pull it across goal to the onrushing Ronaldo. Again I wouldn’t blame Meireles for going left but I think the fact it was Ronaldo to his left was the reason he played the pass