Euro 2020 thread (Part 1)

The vulture up front

Peter got the maths wrong in his group summing up there. If Poland beat Sweden, Slovakia would only need a draw against Spain to eliminate Spain.

Over the last 20 years or so Poland have had a decent oul’ record of winning the last game of a group. Unfortunately for them they’ve usually already been eliminated by then. I wouldn’t put it past them to beat the Swedes, who would surely qualify regardless.

Sweden are definitely beatable

Imagine if Sweden win the group. Awful team.

Every team in this group is awful. One of them has to win it.

I’ve always liked the way Spain play because, when it’s done well, it’s absolutely hypnotic. Quick, short passes bamboozling the opposition so Xavi or Iniesta or Fabregas or any of the ten or twelve other incredible midfielders they had can open it with a clever pass.

But watching a poorer, much slower version ply it, with very limited quality, is just torture.

2 Likes

Since May 16th 2020, Bruno Fernandez has played 83 games

Disgraceful player management from united

You can subtract the games v the Big 6 from his workload as he didn’t show up.

9 Likes

Ah I set that one up lovely for you

1 Like

We’re past the peak and I’m feeling a little bit sad today, guys. Only one group finishing today, with simultaneous 5pm kick-offs. No late games tonight. We’ve no more 2pm kick-offs either. It’s all downhill from here. Roll on Euro 2024.

15 Likes

It’s next year till I can justify cracking a can to watch a Ukraine vs North Macedonia (or two similar teams no one has a clue about). A sad day

5 Likes

The secondary group game each day will be on RTE News Now in SD with no score or game clock and Stephen Alkin and Pat Fenlon broadcasting from a phonebox.

4 Likes

absolutely . love the groups. I love international football in general as it’s the purest form of the game at the highest level.
I’m out 5 nights of the week at this stage coaching or what so I miss a lot of the live stuff, he was 7 yesterday and after a decent joust with Torro Utd in the morning we had fucking 18 kids and a bouncy castle out the back…

anyway last night I decided I’m watching the entire 3 hours 5 minutes bbc broadcast of Poland v Spain…I didn’t know the score and started around half 10 after around 6 or 7 sausages and 7 slices of bread and a load of tea.

what a game… the drama of the thing and Poland, wow I was shouting them on. real guts at back with the ouid lad Glik going to war with morata and lewandowski running all night into spaces…
it was brilliant stuff a real grinder of a game …I love seeing teams like Poland Wales doing the huddle at the end and down then to roar at the fans nationalistic bravado …Spain then in bits…
already I’m fascinated can Poland lift it now and beat Sweden, can the very likable Slovakia beat Spain…

last night is as good as it gets for me really…love it…

14 Likes

England 0 - Scotland 0 was the highlight of the tournament.

I didn’t see any of it at all tbh

Italy: Donnarumma; Toloi, Bonucci, Bastoni, Emerson; Pessina, Jorginho, Verratti; Chiesa, Belotti, Bernardeschi

Italy bench: Sirigu, Meret, Di Lorenzo, Spinazzola, Locatelli, Castrovilli, Insigne, Acerbi, Cristante, Immobile, Barella, Raspadori

Will Chiellini be back for the knockout stages?

Yeah, seemingly little more than a niggle and they seem confident he should be available shortly. Florenzi could also return soon.

Castrovilli and Raspadori are the only two outfield players not to feature yet.

1 Like

Neco in for Wales. Ramsay as false 9.

The RTE coverage is pitiful.

All analysis of players linked to their CL coverage or previous games.

2 Likes