Euro 2020 thread (Part 1)

Beat your lot Manchester City in an FA Cup Final. Peter Swales was the owner back then.

I wouldnt like to see them chase a game

Some serious Wikipedia use going on

8 Likes

Key playmaker on a double Champions league winning side, World cup winning side and multiple scudetto winning side. Was an very effective player for a very long time

Am I correct in saying so long as Portugal avoid a three goal defeat tonight then they will qualify?

1 Like

It’s a shame the Serbs didn’t actually qualify.

A Serbia Croatia game last night with the winner going through and the loser going home would have been box office.

I think that’s right

Steve Clarke will get slaughtered now, despite the valiant scoreless victory in Wembley. Hindsight is 30/30 but it was clear after the surge in the opening ten minutes that Scotland were predictable and flat. I’ve increasingly come to the view that smaller nations need to use their squad like a good Ryder Cup captain.

While Stephen O’Donnell redeemed himself against England and repaid Clarke’s faith in him, the big call then was to replace him for last night. I think 3 intense tournament games in a week is a bit too much for jobbers like O’Donnell, Dykes etc.

Paul McGinley would have had the likes of James Forrest and David Turnbull mentally primed to start in this last game. Similar to the way McGinley decided from months out that Graeme McDowell would only play foursomes and partner up with mercurial French loner Victor Dubuisson. He invited them out to dinner with him during regular tour events, he arranged with the tour that they’d be in the same groups at tournaments in Ryder Cup year and so on. They built up a camaraderie and understanding of each other’s habits and foibles and were ready to rock and roll in Scotland. They romped home each afternoon and had me punching the air in delight.

The days of using a golf or football squad like Mark James did in 1999 are long gone. Poor Andrew Coltart selected as a wild card ahead of Faldo and Langer, yet then left out of all the fourball and foursome matches over the first two days. Why select him at all then? Players need to be given a chance to shine. Not to mention Jean van de Velde and Jarmo Sandelin suffering the same fate. It just seems a bit unsatisfactory that fairly weak players ended up playing practically the entire three Scotland games, with better players left sitting on bench.

It’s hard to get that mix right when they were relatively stacked in some areas (left back/wing back and midfield) but short in others (right back/wing back, centre back and striker), but last night was a management failure in the cold light of day. They needed freshening up and Croatia knew exactly what was coming.

Paul McGinley would have done things differently.

7 Likes

Won a UEFA Cup with Spurs as well did he?

Or, in other words, Steve Clarke should have purchased tartan coloured goldfish.

We all saw what Ferguson did with talented but troubled players, McGrath, Whiteside, Ravel Morrisson, Pogba, fucked them aside without a second though.

A dinosaur.

Sweden 1-0 up already

I expect a game for the ages here

Bjorn Kuipers centre stage @peddlerscross

1 Like

Morata :rofl:

You’d feel a bit sorry for Morata

Eh I wouldn’t really. Multi millionaire footballer whose job it is to score isn’t scoring. He’ll be grand.

2 Likes

Money is fairly irrelevant to happiness after a certain point

He should probably try doing his job so. Maybe in a one on one situation with only the keeper to beat from 12 yards.

Doubt it. I expect the neighbours to be out walking the dags early in the second half.