Euro 2024- Lamine Yamal:Wonderkid

I agree generally with your last point although international tournaments are a different beast. I fancied Spain and Germany in the last world cup due to Luis Enrique and Hansi Flick being the most accomplished managers in the tournament and was obviously badly wrong.

I like Nagelsmann and feel he got a raw deal with Bayern. Their squad is the most technically gifted in my view - Kroos, Kimmich, Gundogan, Wirtz, Musiala are all superb pure footballers. Neuer, despite the howler v Madrid, and Rudiger offer a sense of steel at the back. SanĂŠ and Adeyemi offer loads of pace on the wings, while Nagelsmann has two nice options up front in Havertz and Fullkrug. At home, they have a huge opportunity to banish a decade of poor performances at int tournaments.

France probably have the most high profile talent and if a gun was to my head I would reluctantly pick them to go all the way. They have been steadily consistent in reaching the latter stages of tournaments under Deschemps - even if I really don’t like his style. Topping the group SHOULD also leave them with a niceish route.

For similar reasons, England have a good shot. They too have been steadily consistent under Southgate but for them I fear Maguire is actually a huge loss. I also do not rate their midfield. Germany, for example, would boss them in this area. They could have a very favourable draw should they top the group, which looks very weak in comparison to the makeup of others.

3 Likes

Forget England they will do nothing. Portugal are ahead of them and probably the three main contenders are France/Germany/Portugal.

The youngster have the Wall Planner up and reckon its gonna be Portugal. I see no reason to doubt them.

I wouldn’t be so quick to rule out England. Everyone agreed England won’t do well that tells me it’s a great time to be with them.

Agreed, England will flop.

Finalists last time out, anything other than the trophy will be a disappointment for England. However, they are mentally weak, defensively weak, and look like they’ll start a chap in midfield, and Kane will play every minute. Its plain as day where it will all go wrong, here’s hoping they make the knock out stages though.

They’ve killed this once nobel competition… Like all soccer ball really.

How so bro?

There’s 900 games to eliminate 2 teams.

Would I be correct in saying that it’s the same format as the *much vaunted Italia 90 World Cup? 24 teams being whittled down to 16. It just about works in association football.

*The football was dour by all accounts.

That seems an exaggeration.

Is this format not similar to the World Cup? Yknow, the one that gave us the best Group Stages in a long time?

Where to begin with the same stupid hot take from both :person_shrugging:t2:

The euros are on par with the world cup now… Christ.

Huh? Whats the matter bro?

86, 90 and 94 World Cup format. In all 3 of these tournaments one of the finalists lost a game on route to the final. Makes for a better tournament.

Would you say a ‘world’ cup has more scope to have larger entries and not overly detract from the quality of the tournament? versus, let’s say, a tournament like the European championships?

The WC was built on a carnival of world involvement.

The Euros were built on quality and high stakes… There’s no high stakes now and the quality remains to be seen.

Christ, watching the BBC, you’d swear Scotland are about to beat Germany. I’m sure they’ll do the same shite about England being tournament favourites.
Germany 4 - Scotch 0

Portugal wont be bet

Ronaldo will do fuck all against anyone half decent. Hell be ‘marked out of it’ as we used to say years ago

Turkey will reach semis minimum