Europa League Round of 32 featuring Celtic v Zenit ☘ 🍀 🇮🇪 🇷🇺

Dembele booked for nothing and a reckless lunge goes unpunished again.

Ye look poor but are also a bit unlucky to be 2 down

I’d get Rogic on for Kouassi who has offered little. I’d leave Musonda a little later before brining him in.

Fuck that’s disappointing. Was the first goal after the Paredes shot where he shifted it?

Forrest and Tierney look like they can so some damage. Otherwise we haven’t been great on the ball. Kouassi has improved as it went on. He’s getting into good positions. Was poor on it at the start but he’s done better. Ntcham has been energetic but can’t seem to link with anyone.

Long diagonals over Simunovic and Lustig look like causing us repeated problems. Ajer looks more comfortable on his side. Simunovic is stealing a yard every time now and playing that striker onside.

All that said we’re doing ok for long spells and the second goal in particular was out of absolutely nothing. Completely the goalkeeper’s fault but it was alarming that we didn’t try and close the shot.

Getting Musonda or Sinclair on to play against Ivanovic with Tierney seems like an obvious strategy for some point.

1 Like

He is slow. He’s 36 or 37 and his strengths are his distribution with his feet. Doesn’t like coming off his line and his reactions aren’t the quickest.

To be honest I was ignoring precedent and warning signs ahead of this game. Celtic have capitulated away to teams like Be’er Sheva and Astana, never mind the likes of PSG, Bayern Munich and Barcelona.

When the team is pressed hard and the defence is put under pressure then they can have collapses within games. It seems to be a lack of mental strength and some players not taking responsibility, e.g. Simunovic losing Ivanovic for the goal. Fucking Hearts did it to us at Tynecastle in December.

The frustrating thing is that we always cough up a goal or two during these wobbly spells. Other teams, even when they’re being dominated, find a way to scratch, scrape, stay in the game and make it hard for the other team to score - no more than Zenit did last week.

But Celtic away from home in Europe don’t have that concentration and resilience. We haven’t been outplayed in the normal sense - just conceded a couple of awful goals when they had some play in our half.

Their lad was lucky to avoid a second yellow before half time there.

2 Likes

Yep, De Vries laid down and pushed it behind. Hartson made a fair point there in that he didn’t move his feet before laying out and he should have been able to smother it without conceding the corner.

1 Like

Some of it is poor luck too. No excuses for that but the first goal came after a very dubious free was given to them near half way. We didn’t get many breaks of balls around the box last week. Some lad has a speculative shot from 30 yards and it beats our keeper.

But some of the subsequent panic smacks of a lack of resilience. Simunovic is particularly guilty of this. Brown needs to lead by example here. He dived in a bit after a couple of loose passes.

Lustig and Simunovic need to stop panicking and kicking it away. McGregor’s touch has let him down too on occasion and I think Brown has looked a bit slow at times.

Rogic for Eboue.

1 attempt from Celtic. Dreadful.

Commentator’s eye.

Lustig is out of his depth in Europe again.

That header really drew my Ajer.

1 Like

Dembele doesn’t seem very interested

1 Like

On his heels there when a great ball dropped to him.

Sin é

Red rover

How can Lustig fail to see that run?

Abysmal.

Lustig again

Ntcham and Lustig both on their heels there. Dreadful from Lustig in particular.