European Cup Rugby

I don’t follow you here really? Are you saying they haven’t? What more would you suggest from them.

Bear in mind that two kicks hit the post yesterday that would have won the game.

I’m not sure you can do much more. The two Byrnes, Frawley and the last two 10s for the Grand Slam 20s are on the books. That’s pretty good all things considered, especially when you consider that we are coming off arguably Ireland’s best player of the pro era. You can only manage so much.

1 Like

I think they changed the decision when Lá Rochelle were reduced to 14. They had initially intended to kick for goal. The “leadership group” caused a bit of panic with that indecision. There was no real coherent structure to their attempts at scoring in those last 6 minutes.

I fucking accidentally deleted it off the sky plus. Seething so I am.

It’ll be in your trash folder

Well they’ve generally known for roughly 5ish seasons that Ross is the most consistently fit 10 they had but doesn’t have the minerals to be a top 10. They backed him, probably hoping he’d get less static and develop in attack, and yesterday was his biggest test. They never saw Frawley as a 10, that was forced on them by the IRFU iirc.

I always felt Ross Byrne would’ve been an ideal lad to be Carberry’d to Ulster/Connacht and they could’ve looked for a Gopperth-type signing. Not a long-term solution but an upgrade on Ross Byrne.

In fairness it’s very hard to get a guy better than Ross Byrne who is happy to sit on the bench when sexton is around.

Good players tend not to be happy on the bench.

1 Like

Angry Manchester United GIF by DAZN

This gimp loved it

1 Like

It’s on ITV player

1 Like

I’m not good with technology

It’s called itvx. It should be on your telly.

The absolute thinnest of thin margins sees him going from ‘johnnys successor has come.of age’ to ‘hes not much good this fella’.

He played 10 pretty much every single minute of the entire HC campaign. If he wasn’t much good, they wouldn’t have made the final.

I’m talking about him possibly starting ten for Ireland in the World Cup.

Leinster steam rolled pretty much every single side they met until the final. These are the games when the world class players shine.

Sexton couldn’t get in ahead of contepomi and then lost massive semi final.

Sexton is probably the best player we’ve ever produced.

I’m not saying Byrne is that level. But I’m saying its way too early to write Byrne off as only average the way many have. Unfair measuring stick.

I actually think his brother is the better all round footballer but sure and steady worked for the likes of David Humphreys, who carved a career out between ROG and Sexton. Byrne perhaps similar role and style

Sport is brutal at that level and timing is everything as you point out but Ross is 28. I just don’t think he’d good enough.

Harry should have gone to Connacht for this year and got game time.

You need game time to really develop.

1 Like

Isn’t moloney the lineout caller?

I don’t think there’s any harm in being a 7/10 player in a team with loads of 8s and 9s.

The problems with Leinster weren’t really at the door of Ross Byrne yesterday imo.

Was it weird that la Rogchelle kicked for touch with the last two penos rather than going for a scrum. Would have thought scrum the better option for retaining possession. Was it because the prop was gone and they’d have to make a sub or what was the thinking would you say?

The scrum is always risky as the refs have no idea what is going on and could give away penalty very easily.

I’d always go line out. Every single time.

2 Likes

Teams see lineout as way safer.

Don’t watch much Rugby, but would have thought ball retention a lot higher in the scrum.

I know you can lose a penalty on it, but I’d say thats 1 in 5. Whereas a lineout is more like 1 in 4. I don’t know I’m just talking shite here obviously.