European Cup Rugby

Sorry, what did you point out above? You kept making the point that there was no reason to believe a stronger Leinster team would beaten Munster last year.

Because they bottle every knockout game against a half decent tuned in team. Consistently. Itā€™s the only thing thatā€™s consistent about them.

Zebo has been injured for about 3 years and when heā€™s not injured heā€™s been as fat as a fool.

My auld fella puts awful store in these ratings. Iā€™d often tell him X was poor and Iā€™d get a call Monday with ā€œyouā€™d said he was poor but he got a 7 in the paperā€

9 Likes

O Gara touched on it today. Leinster could possibly learn more from these games than resting players.

Particularly the tour to South Africa. Thatā€™s a crazy decision to split the squad and coaches at a vital juncture in the season for 10 days or so.

I find it amazing they done it again.

Heā€™s been very good the last while. Youā€™d be a long while waiting for some of the other backs to put someone through a gap.

If I recall correctly after the La Rochelle game last year it was highlighted it to be 2017 since Leinster last scored a drop goal to win a game. I think v the ospreys.

1 Like

https://twitter.com/slatterywill/status/1660570344921374721?s=46

Iā€™ve unreal memory.

You could put your house on it if Toulouse needed a drop goal to win it DuPont would have produced one!

1 Like

It reminded me of the game where Clermont had to put the blinkers on Brock James to kick a drop goal and he still missed

1 Like

I did laugh when Bernard jackman praised Frawley were surprising Toulouse by attempting the drop goal at end of normal time from 45 yards out. Iā€™d say they were very shocked.

Iā€™d love to know the logic behind turning down the three points. Sexton was at it too v Ireland. It never made any sense to me.

In these cup games getting ahead is absolutely massive. It changes the way your reffed and it also brings the clock and pressure into things too.

Toulouse tend to be a lot more pragmatic in finals. They arenā€™t exactly playing 7s anyway.

2 Likes

And even more so when you have a new South Africa defence coach who prides himself on his coaching.

Surely you want to get ahead of toulouse start forcing things and you use the defence as much as possible.

It was generally accepted the Leinster attack hasnā€™t been what it was the past few years without sexton and ringrose. They seemed to completely forget that in the final.

Firstly thatā€™s not true. Of course theyā€™ve lost multiple finals at this stage but youā€™re clearly ignoring them reaching multiple finals or the 4 URC titles 2018-2021. Itā€™s a bit of a circular argument that a team is only decent and tuned in if they beat Leinster. Lots of the teams that theyā€™ve beaten are not that. Northampton this year, Toulouse last are straight up examples.

https://twitter.com/ciantracey1/status/1795122683757150556?s=46

A lot of the Leinster players had decent games and few had what you might describe as poor ones. They were beaten after extra time by a superb team and one of the finest displays by an all time great - it doesnā€™t automatically mean that Leinster players didnā€™t turn up. It was probably a final for the ages. Unfortunately.

They were beaten by a team that was on the cusp of blowing a game winning lead against Harlequins. A lot of the Leinster players were poor.

Leinster had 18 plays in Toulouseā€™s 22, Toulouse had 7 in Leinsterā€™s. They got white line fever and couldnā€™t finish their dinner.

Bodge of honour.

U wot mate?