FAO Accountants

I’m glad they are taking a more hardline stance in relation to the quality of up and coming accountants. When u consider the mess the current crop have gotten us it’s obvious some very lazy upset tummy getting “accountants” have passed exams in recent years

The Runt is right (The Runt is rarely wrong to be fair), 35% pass rate in CAP 2. I doubt a big 4 firm had a pass rate of 30% but I’m open to correction.

First year or CAP 1 or Prof 2 is elementary and if you’re not getting it there’s no point in continuing.

I’d doubt very much they had to pass their mocks, what’d be the point of study leave if that was the case. Not the case with my esteemed firm anyway.

Everyone gets the chance to repeat & if you can’t get it at the second go then I’d imagine the Big 4 Firms will pull the plug - depending staffing requirements. Fair enough really.

Thanks Bandage, how did your crowd get on in The Park last night?

Credit Faythe Harriers 0-7
Debit Oulart-The Ballagh 4-25
Credit Reserves 4-18

it was the institute that was wanting mocks passed … which all the lads were going mad about seeing as they would have the bones of 6 weeks off before the actually exams to study

i wonder who was a little swot and got all the cap and prof exams first time

Are there statistics available to show how many accountants die every year? Passing your finals could be like the birth of a new accountant. Has the birth rate exceeded the death rate in recent years.

Accountants are a pack of bolloxes by and large. I never met one I liked that much, and I include my first wife in that too.

FFS, what about the Polish regulations?

Quite prescriptive rules and can be complex. Can also have different interpretations of rules from one city to another. Also the potential to be tax audited to death for months at a time. A great environment for a good tax adviser.

Why would anybody on this isle want to be an accountant, or why would any business employ an Irish accountant when you can get better quality and cheaper accountants via India?

An accountant “friend” of mine lost his job a few years ago as his role was outsourced to Mumbai. A couple of years later he got a job with another financial services company and 3 of their clients were his old clients that had been migrated to India, but found that cheaper wasn’t better.

I may not like them that much, but I do feel a sense of national pride that Irish accountants can punch above their weight against a country with a much greater population to pick from.

Now that I think about it, I don’t mind accountants that much. Some are cunts, but so are some taxi drivers. Auditors, on the other hand, are all cunts.

There seems to be fairly good and quick career progression once you qualify. I don’t think I’d be one though. The high flying world of corporate finance seems alright but the rest is fairly shit

That is interesting.
From my experience those in India are much more efficient, job gets done quickly and more importantly, it gets done accurately. I see what you’re saying about employing our own but it’s not that simple, if you can get a job done better for less then it’s a no brainer. From dealing with a couple of accounting graduates from Ireland I wouldn’t be overly confident in their ability or their care to get things done to deadlines.

But IT on the other hand…

I find IT far more interesting than accountancy surprisingly enough.
You probably feel different, and someone else will think they are both shit and prefer hair dressing.
Not everyone has to agree on everything Farmer, it’s important that people like different jobs and careers

That’s essentially my point. Some people may say accounting is a horrible job but I am just pointing out that others, including myself, may feel the same about IT related work.

I know a fair few accountants and, unfortunately, I also have quite a negative view of them. Like TTK, I have more often than not found them to be surprisingly weak at the fundamental technical aspect and lacking in the discipline/focus/maturity to deliver to deadline in a cost efficient manner.

I was merely offering an opinion Farmer, didn’t mean it to sound like I was stating a fact, and as I said I can very much see the positives of being an accountant once the training is over.

India works when you have strong management on the ground there. Quality has improved significantly over the past five years. But it is starting to get relatively more expensive and places like the Philippines are developing as an alternative.

:lol: what does your second wife work at?

Confidentiality is a huge problem in India though aint it.

Auditing is a farcical concept - private enterprise regulating private enterprise - self regulation doesnt work. Auditing is more pointless than even HR imo. It has the effectiveness of a chocolate fireguard, waterproof teabag etc. How anyone could be content in that bean counting existence in places like Shannon is beyond me.

Look any clown can do accounting, it is not exactly rocket science, accountants help cheat the taxman/lessen your tax liability that is why they are useful. Was heading down that path myself once up a time but all that standards shite bored the hole off me so gave it up. not a trade for hotties either then again neither is IT. Media now that is where its at. I was at the Reuters head office in London before - an eye opener.

A real eye opener eh?

Did Reuters use the pyramid tea bags as opposed to the round ones when you were bringing the employees their tea?