FAO google and legal experts

What happens if I’ve been trading as this already for a number of years?

The real TM owner will take you to the cleaners.

Why would I employ a firm, surely I just apply?

Why is the word “other” in the title?

Trade mark
Just do an online search at www.patentsoffice.ie for Ireland and oami.europa.eu for Europe

Free

Register a trademark is about 2k or less with a lawyer who knows what they are up to

@Juhniallio - this lad is your best resource on this topic. He sorted me out good and proper.

I’m obliged to shill for business for my former employers

Not really a legal matter but I’ll put it up here anyway.

Basically I want to do a PGDE in Scotland in August 2017 - when my employment pass/house contract runs out in Singapore. Now fees wise there is a huge difference between paying as a EU national and as an overseas student - I assumed I would be considered the former but I was told recently that because I’ve been working/living in Singapore since April 2013 I would actually be considered the latter.

I sent an e-mail to the University of Edinburgh inquiring and they referred me to the following link:

http://www.ukcisa.org.uk/Information--Advice/Fees-and-Money/Scotland-fee-status#layer-3349

As far as I can tell I’m fucked and have to pay 20k (overseas) in fees instead of 2k (EU national) .But the way its written gives me a headache, so it would be great if someone here could have a look over it and tell me what the story is.

Yeah you’re fucked. Flat out lie and pretend you were in ireland the last three years.

1 Like

Surely as an Irish citizen and presumedly passport holder you are by default an EU national? Overseas students generally refers to citizens of non EU countries. Worst case scenario you move back to Ireland or UK for whatever length it takes to establish residency.

Three years apparently.

Have you talked to anyone at the UKCISA?
Surely if refugees and asylum seekers qualify someone who is actually an EU citizen should qualify?

1 Like

If you’re fucked start again. Find a different university offering the same course and don’t tell them you’ve been away.
Have you an international school to work in? Some UK universities like sunderland offer overseas pgde’s which means you work in the school while you do it and they send over observers to watch your classes and you attend tutorials in Singapore. While not a brilliant course it will provide you with the qualification you seek (presumably to teach abroad). And it’s not too expensive.

1 Like

Cheers Juhnallio. I’ll look through other universities - the situation in the North, or Wales or England might be different. I’ll look for some of those kinds of courses in Singapore but I need to work full time to stay in Singapore. Also I’d need to do a proper high quality course.

Other option is to do a similar two year course in Ireland, living with the parents. But I’d really want to get this over and done with and work/live in Asia asap.

It absolutely is a legal matter. And from what I can tell, the answer looks to be in the link you posted. You are an EU national (whatever the fuck that is supposed to be), and you are ordinarily resident.

1 Like

I’m fairly I don’t qualify as someone working ‘temporarily’ outside of Ireland/EU.

My bad - thought you were studying in Singapore. If you set up a crowdfunding site I’ll chip in a tenner towards the 20k. How’s that?

1 Like

Funny.

That’s the way I went. Wasn’t on great wages for the first year when training and it’s a pain doing the essays and assignments while working full time (the hours in those international schools are quite long) but the time flew and once you’re qualified the condition s improve markedly.

1 Like

Would you not just send in the application with your home address on it and say nothing?

7 Likes