FAO MBB and Laois hurling fans

MBB and other Laois types,

what do you think are the chances of Laois winning NHL div 2 this year?
i know its early doors but taking galway to extra time in the walsh cup today is surely an encouraging sign.
based on their progress of the last year and the regress of wexford id say its between themselves and Clare to battle it out

what are yere opinions of the Laois hurlers going into 2010?

im looking for an aul long term league bet with a bit of value and this jumped out at me today

Keep your money in your pocket - please!

Unlikely we’ll do it Mickee, but from listening to Rigney he’s going to have a right crack at it. If Tommy Fitz, Zane Keenan and Jimmy Walsh were fit I’d say have a punt and see what comes of it, but Laois can’t afford to be without these 3 boys, leaves too much pressure on Willie Hyland up front. Wexford and Clare are there for the pushing though, definitely. Giuseppe will have something to add on the matter in due course I imagine, he’d be better up on the hurling front than me.

Wexford are baetable for ye i’d say, but i expect Clare to win this division handy enough, they have much better hurlers than Wexford at the moment.

in fairness kev, as bad as we are, and as bad as the team was hit by injuries last year, Wexford hammered Laois by 19 points in a game that was over after a couple of minutes. there was nothing then to show me that Laois would do anything. If Laois can make a turn around like that in 12 months, then fair bloody fooks to them, but honestly, I cant see it happening.

Yea, I wouldnt be getting carried away just yet either, but Rigney did point out last year that the league was of no importance to him. His priority was getting by the Galway game relatively unscathed and preparing for Antrim, and whatever came after that which he did.

I wouldnt get carried away claiming we could beat anyone who’s won an AI in the past 20 years, but we will be a lot more competitive, and we will get a big scalp in the not too distant future, all the signs are there.

I said they were beatable, nothing more. If i was going to bet on a game anytime soon i’d still be betting on Wexford, my main point was Clare are a good bit ahead of everyone.

Mickee

Waterford at 7/2(betfair/PP) to win Munster this and is a serious bit of value…They will beat Clare by 5 or 6 points no problem and will fancy their chances against a Tipp team, they are building nicely and seem to have some very good young hurlers coming through and a decent bit of depth to their panel

I believe Laois were tipped in some paper over the weekend as a long shot, maybe this was where mickee picked it up. I think that was down to Laois having the pikemen and the bannermen in O Moore Park. Still think it’d want to be money you’re not too attached to if you were to bet on them but they might give you a decent ride for it.

Johnny Ward tipped them in the Sunday Indo I believe.

Was it a back to lay tip?

I don’t think so. He was just saying that @ 28/1 they could be a bit of value as they were at home to both Clare and Wexford.

There might be something in all of this. Galways Z team were lucky enough to come away from fortress Rathdowney with the 13 point win there yesterday.
Encouraging signs for Laois hurling by all accounts. Ye should have enough for Limerick at the very least.

Laois wont be playing Limerick until next year in the league Laz. Limerick still in Div 1 this year.

Talk it down Laz. That All Ireland is still there for ye, give it time.

I would say chances are very low. Getting Galway to extra time would suggest we might have improved a bit but going by the score at half-time we probably caught them off guard got a run on them and then capitulated. Generally when we get within a sniff of winning against a decent team, we crumble.

Without Zane Keenan and Tommy Fitzgerald, our attack is far too weak. Willie Hyland can be great but he can fall asleep just as easy.

I’m not a betting man but I think if we were in this situation 28 times we wouldn’t win once so I suppose that makes it bad value.

@myboyblue - who is this Dano McCormack lad? Looks about 12 but apparently nearly killed himself with drink last night.

I have absolutely no idea what you’re talking about Mac?

Some Laois lad

I’d have been content going my entire life without ever hearing of that stook.

2 Likes