FAO Munster Fans - A few Q's

[quote=“caoimhaoin”]That Athenry has fuck all to do with Munster.

Defending the Liverpool side of it is just as crazy as Munster. I do see something in the Glasgow Celtic singing it, but at the end of the day its still a Galway song.
I don’t think the guy who wrote it, or who it was about ended up in either Glasgow or Liverpool ( or Munster for that fact either).[/quote]

pete st john wrote it in the 80’s

he sang it a few times at Celtic park as he saw the celtic fans had picked it up due to the fact its a song about emmigration

[quote=“farmerinthecity”]Liverpool’s version is very much tongue in cheek. It is harmless, written about an Irish footballer and the words are changed.

Munster fans sing it as if they are representative of Ireland when they sum up a lot of what is wrong about it.[/quote]

so when the irish footballer retired and later on they changed it into a song about an English footballer do you not think that was a bit ridiculous?

[quote=“farmerinthecity”]Liverpool’s version is very much tongue in cheek. It is harmless, written about an Irish footballer and the words are changed.

Munster fans sing it as if they are representative of Ireland when they sum up a lot of what is wrong about it.[/quote]

The irony in that post is staggering. One thing thats wrong with Ireland is people who fanatically follow EPL clubs and then in time start acting like their fellow soccer thug fans who follow the same team in England. As in they become more English than the English themselves.
Hilarious.

[quote=“farmerinthecity”]That was written for Steve Heighway, who is Irish, now being adopted for Stevie Gerrard, which I admit doesn’t make any sense.

At least they sing about the Fields of Anfield Road, which is a reference to Liverpool and not about Athenry which has nowt to do with Munster.[/quote]

Bollox, the Fields of Athenry wasn’t written until 1979. Heighway was nearly finished when the original was written.

Liverpool have only started singing very recently, long after Heighway’s time. He is mentioned in the song but thats it. It came about after a few locals in The Albert started singing it pre-game.

Ya fooking spoofer.

[quote=“north county corncrake”]pete st john wrote it in the 80’s

he sang it a few times at Celtic park as he saw the celtic fans had picked it up due to the fact its a song about emmigration[/quote]

Pete St. John wrote it, in the 80’s. Fuck thats news to me.
i honestly thought it was way older.

I remember Buccaneers won some cup or league in 1999 and they were all on the pitch afterwards singing The Fields. I think its the only ever time I’ve heard a Connacht / Galway team singing the song!

Maybe Ulster should start singing Boolavogue or Connacht sing the Rose of Mooncoin just to balance things out. I’ll start lobbying the Leinster fans to sing Sean South at the next home match in the RDS.

its funny the munster fans giving out about the Celtic fans signing it when the guy who wrote it was a Celtic fan that sang it at Celtic park & has talked on many occasions why it means so much to Celtic fans

[quote=“Mac”]I remember Buccaneers won some cup or league in 1999 and they were all on the pitch afterwards singing The Fields. I think its the only ever time I’ve heard a Connacht / Galway team singing the song!

Maybe Ulster should start singing Boolavogue or Connacht sing the Rose of Mooncoin just to balance things out. I’ll start lobbying the Leinster fans to sing Sean South at the next home match in the RDS.[/quote]

I like it, a bit of cross border drunken singing. Best thing you’ve ever come up with in fairness Mac.:smiley:

Look i’m a Munster fan, it should never be sung at Munster games.

There’s 9 counties in Ulster Kev, they’re not all across the border :smiley:

it should never be sung at a sporting event…anywhere, even in Athenry

They can have Cavan and Monaghan if they want. I’d rather tyrone and Armagh thanks very much.

[quote=“Mac”]I remember Buccaneers won some cup or league in 1999 and they were all on the pitch afterwards singing The Fields. I think its the only ever time I’ve heard a Connacht / Galway team singing the song!

Maybe Ulster should start singing Boolavogue or Connacht sing the Rose of Mooncoin just to balance things out. I’ll start lobbying the Leinster fans to sing Sean South at the next home match in the RDS.[/quote]

Mac

First time I ever heard it a sporting occasion was Galway Kilkenny AIHF in 1993. Pre new Croke Park, loads of Galway supporters on the Hill and they sang it.
The next time I seriously remember it at any sporting occasion was the playoff defeat to Holland in 1995 at Anfield
Funny how things change and evolve- when I first started going to Ireland rugby games they used to sing Molly Malone, you’d struggle to hear that at a Leinster game nowadays

WBY

[quote=“W.B. Yeats”]Mac

First time I ever heard it a sporting occasion was Galway Kilkenny AIHF in 1993. Pre new Croke Park, loads of Galway supporters on the Hill and they sang it.
The next time I seriously remember it at any sporting occasion was the playoff defeat to Holland in 1995 at Anfield
Funny how things change and evolve- when I first started going to Ireland rugby games they used to sing Molly Malone, you’d struggle to hear that at a Leinster game nowadays

WBY[/quote]

Much better for a match. Shorter, and gives a better haunting sound from the crowd.

We love singing about the bad old days though don’t we.

[quote=“caoimhaoin”]Much better for a match. Shorter, and gives a better haunting sound from the crowd.

We love singing about the bad old days though don’t we.[/quote]

A grand song about a dirty burd:D

[quote=“W.B. Yeats”]Mac

WBY[/quote]

I’ve only been at 2 Galway matches in my life and it wasn’t sang at either. Then again, Galway didnt have much to sing about in those games. Its got to the stage where its not really about Galway anymore.

Just for you WBY, I’ll try and get a rendition of Molly Malone going on the Hill on Saturday. The Hill belted it out on the day we matured as a nation and it actually made the hairs on the back of my neck stand up. Even the lads around in the Munster caps and Munster jackets with their hip flasks of Cashels Cider were singing it as well. Its a much more powerful song than the fields if you have the right people singing it.

[quote=“caoimhaoin”]Much better for a match. Shorter, and gives a better haunting sound from the crowd.

We love singing about the bad old days though don’t we.[/quote]

Mark this down lad, we agree about something.

And today is Thursday isn’t it?!

[quote=“Mac”]Mark this down lad, we agree about something.

And today is Thursday isn’t it?![/quote]

Thats twice, but no, todays tuesday.:smiley:

Kudos to Tipptops on this one :smiley:

Go’wan and fook yourself ye Cark bollix :smiley: