Father Ted

Two Bens for the price of one, Eurosaver Value!

Thats mad, Ted

In a survey conducted by An Post, 88% of Irish people said they used “Ted-isms” in direct conversation, while 20% quoted the series on a daily basis.

This popped up as a add for me today.

Joe Rooney hosting an online Fr Ted Quiz for white hag (craft beer).

I remember being at a UL gig he did for students in what must have been circa 2004, where a load of drunk students kept shouting up “is dougal there” “Fr Damo” “I love blur” that kind of shite as the poor bastard tried to do the gig.
Eventually anyway he lost it and told them to get over the fact that he was in a TV show a decade ago FFS, what kind of sad bastards were they etc. I got the impression, that he was fairly tired of being defined by about 5 minutes of acting.
Of course the only reason anyone was there was because he was in Fr. Ted.

I’m not sure if it’s good or sad that he’s leaned in and accepted it.

I was trying to get the ride off a cracking Roscommon one the same night. Glory days

The poor chap isn’t suited to stand-up at all.

I had the misfortune of being at a private, corporate-type gig once (it might also have been around 2004) and he was hired as the entertainment.

There was a table comprised of very drunk Corkmen who heckled him all the way through by singing that dopey"Langer" song that was out around that time and he died on his arse. Met him at the bar afterwards and he seemed a very sound chap but was very down over what had happened.

I’d say it’s a horrendous way to make a living. Especially at the bottom end. It was a €5 a head for that gig. Probably 100 people at it, though probably 20 of them got in for free as UL comedy soc members, then you’ve to pay for the room (may have been free that night tbf) your transport, and then an agent takes a slice.
All to be heckled by a load of drunk morons who would have been happy if you just went up and said is “Dougal there?” while flicking your fringe back 15 times

The unnecessary two fingers he gave a sleeping Benson after robbing the whistle was class.

1 Like

One of my lads was watching a few clips of Father Ted on Youtube recently and he asked me if it was a documentary.

No mention of how many cans do you get for the 65 notes

:laughing:

I hope you told them that it was.

It seems to go out of it’s way to not tell you and it’s a “surprise” so you don’t even get the fucking cans you want

Joe used to man the second hand record stall in the George’s St Arcade back in the 1980s. He was in a band at the time too called Guernica

Joe used to run ‘the comedians of fr ted’ in the laughter lounge. Himself, Kevin gildea, fr stone and someone else. Harmless enough evening. My mate used to use them for first date nights to get the mot laughing and let her fool herself that he was the reason she had a good time

7 Likes

That’s kind of sad

Joe has now leaned so far into the Fr. Ted thing he is touring a show called “a celebration of Fr Ted”

It sounds like a very sad night out for all concerned

I remember Joe when he used to man the second hand record stall in the George’s St arcade and was in the band Guernica, back in the 80s. He was a fairly cool dude then.

1 Like

The first two seasons of Father Ted were magnificent.

Christmas special and last season not so much.

Ah here.

What’s gone wrong with graham linehan at all? He’s lost the pot.

He was pot committed.