Favourite Pogues Song

Oh do not ask what is it!!
Let us go and make our visit.

The opening stanza of Body of an American could be superimposed over the Galtee Mountain Boy. Timbre, timing, rhyming. Dead ringer.

3 Likes

Boys from the county hell is a banger

4 Likes

Not their greatest song but Thousands are sailing’ brings a tear to my eye every time. When I left in the 80’s, I had a job. Probably the only one!!!. And in Dublin you might find something. But in Dublin airport from RTÉ coverage etc of the pain of families saying goodbye to loved ones. Mostly country people saying goodbye to their kids. The helplessness of the parents.

5 Likes

I went to the airport a lot in the late 80s early 90s with my dad and loved ones, usually a brother or sister but sometimes aunts or uncles heading away or coming back. I will always love Dublin airport pre Christmas and loathe and despise it post Christmas.

1 Like

Thousands are Sailing is the tfk go to Pogues song.

3 Likes

It’s a masterpiece.

I think their music is vastly underrated, their arrangements and virtuosity are top drawer. Chevron brought a new dimension though so I’ll go with thousands are sailing. Everything about that song is perfect, it might be the best Irish song ever.

2 Likes

I can’t argue with that.

From the lone banjo at the start to the ‘wher’er we go we celebrate the land that makes us refugees, from fear of priests……’

1 Like

Yeah Yeah Yeah

Doesn’t get much better than this. As a musician that must have been a ball of fun.

1 Like

I think the answer is Thousands Are Sailing. It’s a punk song but it’s also a Cure song. It reminds me a lot of “A Night Like This”. It’s not a song that is meant to have any instrument that is used in traditional Irish music. It’s meant to be a driving guitar rock song. If Bonehead of Oasis played rhythm guitar on it would be perfect.

1 Like