Favourite Sporting Moment

Think we went from 6 up to 5 down (or maybe it was 5 up to 6 down) in the space of about 10-15 second half minutes before coming back to force the draw. Incredible game all right.

Second half against Tipp in '96 Munster Final (drawn match).

2006 AI Final. I love it when a plan comes together…

Better than the Clare game?

Was tough on Limerick that they were in four of the five munster finals before the back door was introduced, at which point they disappeared altogether for a while.

Think so. We were always in the Clare game. Lots of townie Limerick supporters went home at half time in the Tipp game.

Also it was Tipp.

Mine was the Laois Offaly league game in 2004. It was on in Birr and myself and the brother had no way of getting there so we decided we’d thumb. On with the Laois jerseys and out to the main road we went complete with a cardboard sign with Birr written on it. Less than ten minutes waiting and we were picked up.

With Laois resting most of their u21s who played championship the day before, the game itself started out slow enough and we were down five points in the second half when those Biffo cunts started rowing. Naturally, we took them down a peg or two. After the fracas, with both teams down to fourteen men, Laois started to hurl with a bit of life. Entering stoppage time however, the biffos still led by three but due to the brawl there was eight minutes to be played. A long ball into the full forward line was caught by substitute Eon Browne who offloaded to Tynamite who charged through on goal. Having fucke up earlier in the campaign which let Wexford draw, Tynan fucked up again and dropped the ball, then managing to kick it off the cross bar. Goal poacher supreme Damien Culleton was on hand to knock home the rebound and level the game. A draw was all Offaly needed to stay in Division 1 and although we were safe it wouldn’t have been right not to put them down after that comeback. Tynan was again invovled and this time floated over a peach of a point to put the biffos in the doldrums where they belong.

Yarp, this for me also. Finally seeing the 3rd in a row lifted was fantastic too.

In other sport, Liverpool v Alaves in the 01 UEFA Cup final. Great day of sessioning and supermarket robbing in Dortmund and a hugely entertaining game to boot.

One of my favourite sporting moments recently was seeing one of our u10’s point a sideline cut from about 40 yards. The roar that went up from what was mainly a neutral crowd. Unreal.

1999 All-Ireland hurling final in a tie with 1990 Football win. Both very sweet.

I will have to give this serious thought and will report back later in the day

The 2008 All-Ireland Hurling final between Kilkenny and Waterford.

Plenty of personal ones, but unfortunately being from Limerick I don’t have much else. The feeling after beating Waterford in '07 was something special and when we won the Munster U/21 football in 2000.

That 2nd half of the Tipp game was something special but Carey’s point against Clare still tops it for me. I was sitting in the stand and ended up 6 rows in front of where I had been sitting. It was bedlam.

Another truly great sporting occassion I witnessed was Dublin Mayo in 2006.

80,000 people packed into Croke Park watching a pulsating game of football - the Tommy Murphy Cup final between Leitrim and Louth.

The game afterwards wasn’t half bad either!

Hard one to call.

O’Leary’s peno, Houghton’s in the Giants Stadium, McAteer versus Holland, Michael Thomas Anfield 1989 are all great memories in football.

I have great memories also of Limerick beating Cork in the Gaelic Grounds in 1994. I started going to Limerick games with my Dad from around 1987 and bar the League victory in 1992 - this was the first time I witnessed us beat one of the big boys when it really mattered. I was just used to Limerick being beaten that it was actually strange for me to see us win. I was probably just that little bit too young to fully appreciate it at the time but I know my Dad did. I still don’t think I have seen him go so bananas at a match since. I would love to see a video of that game as Joe Quaid was absolutely immense that day.

[quote=“Phil Leotardo”]Hard one to call.

O’Leary’s peno, Houghton’s in the Giants Stadium, McAteer versus Holland, Michael Thomas Anfield 1989 are all great memories in football.

I have great memories also of Limerick beating Cork in the Gaelic Grounds in 1994. I started going to Limerick games with my Dad from around 1987 and bar the League victory in 1992 - this was the first time I witnessed us beat one of the big boys when it really mattered. I was just used to Limerick being beaten that it was actually strange for me to see us win. I was probably just that little bit too young to fully appreciate it at the time but I know my Dad did. I still don’t think I have seen him go so bananas at a match since. I would love to see a video of that game as Joe Quaid was absolutely immense that day.[/QUOTE]

I remember than game, I was in the old concrete seats section directly behind the clare end when Joe Quaid made some ridiculously brilliant saves. It lashed rain the same day and I found a fiver in a puddle on the way out.

[quote=“Phil Leotardo”]Hard one to call.

[/QUOTE]

I would add Alan McLaughlin’s equaliser against the North in 1993 to get us to USA 1994 to that list as well.

England, Scotland and Wales all failed to qualify.

And there was a huge chance that those cunts could stop us qualifying.

The sense of relief followed by elation when that goal went in sticks in my mind.

We were going to The World Cup so we could look forward to that buzz around the country all over again.

Jaysus, that’s class :smiley:

[quote=“farmerinthecity”]I would add Alan McLaughlin’s equaliser against the North in 1993 to get us to USA 1994 to that list as well.

England, Scotland and Wales all failed to qualify.

And there was a huge chance that those cunts could stop us qualifying.

The sense of relief followed by elation when that goal went in sticks in my mind.

We were going to The World Cup so we could look forward to that buzz around the country all over again.[/QUOTE]

Yeah that was something else. I was at the airport that day before the team left and then again that night when they came home. Cracking atmosphere.

Remember Adidas brought out a crackin ad that said “Don’t worry Tel, we’ll bring you back some Duty Free.”

Thought we were supposed to be at these events in person though.

[quote=“therock67”]Yeah that was something else. I was at the airport that day before the team left and then again that night when they came home. Cracking atmosphere.

Remember Adidas brought out a crackin ad that said “Don’t worry Tel, we’ll bring you back some Duty Free.”

Thought we were supposed to be at these events in person though.[/QUOTE]

Yeah we are but just wanted to throw that in after Phil Leotardo listed other great non witnessed sporting moments.

Also wasn’t Taylor in charge of England at that time? Although Venables may have taken over in the run up to the World Cup.

Yeah he took over before the World Cup.