Favourite Sporting Moment

[quote=“therock67”]

Thought we were supposed to be at these events in person though.[/QUOTE]

My apologies! Would have loved to have being at some of them naturally.

January 14, 1997 - Liverpool 3 Aston Villa 0 - Jamie Carragher’s (and Bjorn Tore Kvarme’s) debuts - goals from Carra, Fowler and Collymore. A 13 year-old CC was emotional singing YNWA in the Main Stand.

I’d imagine that was a very special day. I remember leaving the Hill in the pissings of rain listening to an powerful rendition of ‘the banks’. That along with the loss in 91 was probably my least favourite moment.

I’ve never been as miserable after a match as I was after that one. An awful day.

Im another Kilkenny man who will never forget the 99 AI Final,like everybody else i was soaked to the bolix whilst sitting in the uncovered Canal end,remember Andy Comerford putting us 4 points up with around 12 minutes left and i thinking thats it we have it,cue Seanie McGrath,Fergal Murray and co. hitting a flurry of flukey points into hill 16 to beat us by 1.We should have won it well really,Tots McEvoy missed a good few handy scores while Charlie Carter drove a ball an inch over the bar from about 14 yards out in the 2nd half,in short we fucked it away.

I was spending the weekend in Dublin and had a bag of gear in a mates house in Ranelagh but i ran into my brother on Jones Road and took a lift home with him,i had banquet tickets and the whole show but i just said fuck it,im out of here,it was that kind of a day.

Kilkenny people don’t know what real disappointment is.

We feel it more keenly than everyone else because we aren’t as familiar with it.
The old saying goes that what is seldom is wonderful, well that cuts both ways too.
What is seldom can also be horrible.

been at a fuck load of all ireland finals including 83 & 95 - all tedious enough - occasion - seen Ireland in the world cup - wasnt impressed- was at a rogbee world cup semi final - shit - saw ireland play rogbee in oz - shit

seeing Roma or Rovers winning a corner is a better occasion than any of the above

Rugby is definitely a game better watched on telly. I’ve seen Ireland play against Oz, the all blacks, sith ifrica, the jocks and the frogs. The atmosphere at all of them bar the French game was crap. It was in Paris, had it been in Ireland, Im sure it too would have been a crap atmosphere.

:rolleyes:

its a sport for mongs

its a sport for mongs[/QUOTE]

Was at beer cup final last year. Worst sporting occasion I was ever at. Thankfully they let you drink at rugby games as at least we had something to do. I felt sorry for the saps who were faking enthusiasm around us.

A September Sunday in the mid 90s was pretty special. My first EPL match was unforgettable. Villa beat Chelsea 2-1 with goals from Savo and Yorkie. Bosnich saved a peno. Greats like mcgrath, townsend, gullit, spencer and tommy Johnson played that day. Beating Arsenal 2-0 last season was class.

Have a load of top sporting moments, a few to name are. Mick Jacobs goal versus Kilkenny in 04, Rory McCarthys versus Cork in 03, Eoin Quigleys point versus Kilkenny in 05, Wexfords come back versus Meath last year and their fairytale run to the All Ireland semi final.

Top moment by some distance, and it would take something extra special to beat it, is from 2004. Oulart The Ballagh hadn’t won a county title since 97, despite having a whole host of county stars they always seemed to flop on the big day, particulary against Rathnure, but in 04 they managed to beat them in the final, was unreal. Anyway my Da was manager and had had many tough times, battling cancer and the likes, Liam Dunne was captain anyway and was making a speech full of passion, in that speech he talked about the oul lad and at the end of it all he asked my da to come up and lift the trophy with him, when they rose that cup the emotions that went through my body were unbelievable really, its something i will never ever forget, thankfully the papers captured a picture and had it blown up in the middle pages, have it stored away and will do till the day i die.

knackerball games are dire for atmosphere. I was at Ireland v Holland the time Trigger :rolleyes: scored. Putrid atmosphere and that was supposed to be a major game… A low key Munster championship match would have generated more atmosphere.

Don’t think there’s anything to match a big day in the munster championship. There was more passion unleashed in one Brian Lohan clearance than whole seasons of the heineken cup.

[quote=“Gavin 2”]
Top moment by some distance, and it would take something extra special to beat it, is from 2004. Oulart The Ballagh hadn’t won a county title since 97, despite having a whole host of county stars they always seemed to flop on the big day, particulary against Rathnure, but in 04 they managed to beat them in the final, was unreal. Anyway my Da was manager and had had many tough times, battling cancer and the likes, Liam Dunne was captain anyway and was making a speech full of passion, in that speech he talked about the oul lad and at the end of it all he asked my da to come up and lift the trophy with him, when they rose that cup the emotions that went through my body were unbelievable really, its something i will never ever forget, thankfully the papers captured a picture and had it blown up in the middle pages, have it stored away and will do till the day i die.[/QUOTE]

Fair play gav. Nothing to beat the club at the end of the day.

Oireland knackerball games are woeful - gaa crowds are terrible too - no atmosphere at all- i guess the christian brothers sterness still has an impact on the gaaliban & its fans

[quote=“Gavin 2”]Have a load of top sporting moments, a few to name are. Mick Jacobs goal versus Kilkenny in 04, Rory McCarthys versus Cork in 03, Eoin Quigleys point versus Kilkenny in 05, Wexfords come back versus Meath last year and their fairytale run to the All Ireland semi final.

Top moment by some distance, and it would take something extra special to beat it, is from 2004. Oulart The Ballagh hadn’t won a county title since 97, despite having a whole host of county stars they always seemed to flop on the big day, particulary against Rathnure, but in 04 they managed to beat them in the final, was unreal. Anyway my Da was manager and had had many tough times, battling cancer and the likes, Liam Dunne was captain anyway and was making a speech full of passion, in that speech he talked about the oul lad and at the end of it all he asked my da to come up and lift the trophy with him, when they rose that cup the emotions that went through my body were unbelievable really, its something i will never ever forget, thankfully the papers captured a picture and had it blown up in the middle pages, have it stored away and will do till the day i die.[/QUOTE]

Jayz, know who you are now Gav. Good win for Oulart that day alright.

http://www.thelittlepage.us/dragonfiles/images/roll.gif:rolleyes:

Great stuff Gavin 2. Gavin 1 would be proud of you. :thumbsup:

I remember staying behind to listen to Dunne’s speech that day as I was thinking it might be the last time we’d get to see the great man in action what with him having retired from inter-county the year before. Yet the legend was still playing last season.

Fully agree with this. I’ve pretty much given up attending live rugger games. Much more enjoyable on da telly.