FIFA 2018 World Cup Thread

4pm

Is there a horrendous opening ceremony currently taking place?

Yes. Robbie Williams is headlining

The VAR officials will be dressed in full match kit :smile:

I presume the RTE intro is an international feed one - they haven’t bothered doing up their own one for the last two tournaments at least. It’s as bland an intro as there has ever been for the television coverage of a major sporting event.

Dunphy is talking here about the possibility of hooliganism and clashes between the Russians and the English.

I think the KGB will have put the frighteners on the Russian yobs and I’d be surprised if any of that happens.

yes, not a chance there will be trouble

Dont be so sure mate, those fucking Icelanders be crazy.

Fucksake, thought the singing would be over.

Going for a 1-1 draw here.

Robbie is fucking ripping it up here. Pure class.

1 Like

Aw man, Angels. I thought he wasn’t going to sing it, and then BANG, he only went and sung it. Super.

2 Likes

What a fucking fake out from the real Ronaldo, still got it.

Ok, lads Saudi are a right decent side
Pizzi the boss who led Chile to the copa America in 2016 took over from bert van Marwick after he had them qualified (he refused to live in KSA) and has really gotten them to play a high pressing game that he has moulded over the course of 9 friendlies this year
Its been an exponential improvement, they harried and harassed Italy and a most underwhelming Germany in recent friendlies playing very well and also defeated greece and Algeria
20 of the 23 man squad play with 3 clubs and they all play in Saudi so this gives a great sense of unity to the side, they loaned 3 players to la liga in January but they never really got a look in tbh
Like all leagues in the middle east it is one paced and pededstrian with the same players familiar with each other much like say the LOI, this leads to a bit of stagnation and familiarity unfortunatly, Pizzi tho has had 6 weeks with the squad , they have improved dramatically and are full of energy
Keep an eye on these 2 lads –
Mancini endorsed these boys after Italy

Mohammed Al Sahlawi
sixteen goals in fourteen qualification games the Al Nassr front man has scored more goals in qualifying then anyone except Robert Lewandowski, Is quite slow and ponderous however and will find the likes of Daniel Godin tougher going then the Timor Leste central defenders he encountered during the Saudis 10-0 win in Dili in November 2015
Fahad al Muwallad
scored the goal that took Saudi to Russia, saw very little game time on loan at Levante earlier this year but a serious operator with an eye for goal off the bench usually

Now the Saudi defense is shocking but so are Russia ( they still have ignashevich and akinfeev)
Whilst the Saudis prevent* their players form playing abroad to increase the profile of their own league the russsians just spend money on foreigners and cultivate none of their own
I think this could be helter skelter to be honest and im backing Saudi to win

*well thet pay them massive money that they would not get in europe hence saudi players are very over valued internally

1 Like

there’s a breed of a knacker in him.

Russian anthem is spine tingling.

1 Like

My thoughts exactly. It would remind you of the good old days.

1 Like

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=2c3Y2i-1mD0

Great tempo to this. I love the world cup… I love football.

1 Like

Needs more flares.