Fintan O'Toole v Eoghan Harris debate: another thread ruined

:smiley:

1 Like

Cancel culture.

1 Like

The guy is mentally unwell.

He’s in the same category as Gemma.

Which makes it all the more incredible that he was given a platform on the Indo for decades to deliver his crazed views.

7 Likes

“They use the libel laws north and south to intimidate their critics.” :smiley: :smiley:

The bastards.

A lot of people do that, to be fair. A certain D. O’Brien is one notable.

“For over 20 years Eoghan Harris was a secret member of the Workers Party. During that time he denied his membership and threatened libel actions against those who asserted otherwise. During that time funds were solicited from the Soviet Union for a media venture involving him which was to be an opponent of the capitalist press.”

https://magill.ie/archive/eoghan-harris-and-workers-party

3 Likes

“a bit of a genius”

They really are full of it.

Myers blew up himself with stupidity and ego. Harris blew up himself with stupidity and ego. Who is next?

3 Likes

i was going to cheekily say the stubborn nore :smiley:

there is a fine line between madness and genius. however, eoghans buddies all seem to have placed him on the wrong side of that line

RDE please.

2 Likes

Will Harris end up on The Newsletter?

Does not surprise me that Dawn Purvis has come out with the truth. Back in the 1990s, I knew a couple of people, tangentially, who moved in PUP circles. I was well aware that David Ervine detested Harris.

This toxic clown is an out and out liar in pathological degree. His whole ‘career’ is one long pant after a personality alibi. The gobshite is not even from Cork, as he implies. He is from Tallow, County Waterford.

2 Likes

Would suit whinging Ben if he did. I’d say Ben would be just the sort of sycophantic cunt Harris would love. Ben might just set up a fake twitter account to tell Harris how wonderful he is.

3 Likes

Lowry is a strange one.

He’s like a timid Paisley, a guy who always comes across as 10 seconds away from breaking down and bursting into tears.

3 Likes

10 seconds?

I have met a lot of really bright people, of varying political persuasions. And I met Harris – and he was deeply unimpressive in any terms. At the time, I had a very pretty Canadian girlfriend and he was all but drooling over Jordana. A man that only ever got laid because of his power rather than because of his looks is a dangerous beast in middle age. The only halfway good thing I could say is that he insisted on buying most of the pints – and there were quite a few people around.

Harris is only a blusterer – and a bad blusterer, at that. He has this Plato/Aristotle schtick that would not pass muster in a First Year undergraduate essay.

The sidelong aspects usually tell most with egomaniacs and narcissists. Harris, when Aengus Fanning died, wrote of his discomfort about how large Fanning’s hands were. There you had Harris’ level of emotional depth in sidelong display, a displaced sense of how he did not measure up in macho terms. He is a gobshite sheltering under every gobshite’s choice of umbrella, black bluster.

4 Likes
3 Likes

Good read

He was a professional fraudster.

@artfoley you’re showing a degree of obsession here but I dont even blame you. He was a poison at the heart of Irish political life for decades, you knew that anything moving around him was contaminated (eg. Bertie Ahern, Micheal Martin).

You mention minor details like his obsession with Aengus Fanning’s hands. I remember years ago reading one of his columns. He told a story where someone He was having a friendly chat from quoted a line from Yeats’ Sailing to Byzantium. Harris responded by reciting the whole poem, every line. And the compounded that lack of self-awareness by telling this to everyone in his weekly column. I realised this was somebody whom you couldn’t share a room with for 10 minutes and obviously a cretinous bully. I think that was the exact point where I vowed never to get the Sindo again until he was gone.