Fleadh Cheoil in Ennis August 2017

Maybe the leaving of your front door open and every parent on the street parenting every child has disappeared but Ireland is still a very welcoming country.

1 Like

Memories of NewRoss eh?

It takes a village to rear a thief.

Are you mental?

Maybe its the slow creeping of it and those that lived here the whole time do not see it as clearly. But hospitality is dead in Ireland. Partly due to a foreign staff in alot places who come from a different culture, partly a younger generation and partly being trained by people who barely know themselves.

Of course if you go to the fancy places it will still be decent but in general your every day experience (the ones that matter) at a shop or petrol station or cafe are dreadful.

Brought home to me when i came back from Oz initially, but going to the UK twice in last year has really applified it.

Do you not think thats a tragic change in society?

And for no real solid reason only fear.

What have i ever lied about here?

I don’t mean serving people in a restaurant, Kev. It’s how open we are and welcoming we are to tourists, new people, etc. Most people from other countries I talk too often remark on this and certainly when I look at how newcomers are welcomed into groups I see and from what I see in other countries we are far friendlier and open than most.

I would say thats pretty much a myth. And it all matters. You put it all together

Of course it still happens, but as widespread as people like to believe, nah.

Look at the way we are starting to treat foreign nationals. The racism is seeping out of us. And if you cannot treat the people who mived to the cpuntry the same way a short term visitor then its a fraud.

Knowing people.

Pretend germans id say

1 Like

Who?

No joking but I was literally dragged off the street to do it. Some other cunt hadn’t turned up and they were desperate

Sounds like you did a great job anyway mate :+1:

1 Like

Maybe it’s just the circles I move in but I think the majority of Irish people are pretty open and welcoming although there is of course a racist element which you’ll get in every country. When you have any society with little to no exposure to immigration until 20 years ago that’s to be expected but when I look at young black Irish people and how they are treated by their peers there is a very high level of acceptance. The older generation have a fairly high level of racism alright, overt or otherwise, but a lot of that can be put down to the fact that there were 7 black people in Ireland until 1995.

2 Likes

By all accounts its a real social problem. And quite a bit if it is coming from new irish as well to be fair. Children of polish, latvians etc.

I still hear it, even if the PC world hides it a bit, from all walks of life. From tradies to lawyers to publicans. Very evident actually with nurses i have seen as well, and its somewhat understandable as some of the fireign nurses wpuld have a vastly different approach.

Jasper McIlroy, Paul McGrath, Simon Zebo’s da, Phil Lynott, the fella who took Peggy Duignan off to Birmingham, Samantha Mumba…
Who was the last one?

I’d well believe it. Fleadh adjudication is Irish cronyism at its finest.

Blackie Connors

1 Like

Round 2. I’m absolutely dying

1 Like