Does gin go off if it’s been open for a bit?

A gin-ger basiltini. Basil leaves muddled with lime juice, 2 oz sapphire and 1 oz ginger simple syrup. A delicious late summer drink.

1 Like

Too good just to have one.

It’s as if you left the glass under a drainpipe for a few days.

16 Likes

Anybody bother making sloe gin?

How does one go about it?

Haven’t got the thyme pal

6 Likes

Apparently it’s extremely complicated. You put sloes and sugar into a bottle of gin. Then you leave it for six months. Alcohol has never lasted six months round here though

That’s it? You put berries into shop bought gin … fucksake.

2 Likes

Ripe ones (unfortunately) and sugar, and maybe a crushed almond.

A load of auld bollox…

Complicated stuff alcohol.

@Fagan_ODowd I’d say.

I do. Cc @balbec.

Just bottled last years crop there this week.

1 Like

You froze them? Roughly when did you pick them?

1 Like

No. I prepared it this time last year and let it infuse for the year. I drained it and bottled it this week.

I have some frozen berries left from last year and I’ll make another batch with that soon.

The berries should be good for picking in a couple of weeks though this year has been such a clusterfuck weather wise you wouldn’t know what to expect. There is a bit of a pishreog that you shouldn’t pick them before the first frost.

1 Like

Have you made any without adding sugar…I’m worried about the kid’s teeth

1 Like

No you need sugar.

Cheers. Mad amount of sloes this year, be a shame not to use some

4 Likes

One must be very careful when stealing the sloes. Never clean a branch of more than half. The piseogs will be watching. And whatever you do, don’t lave any dropped ones behind. You MUST find them and take them with you.

2 Likes

I havent seen them in over 10 years i’d say… are you sure they are still growing in the wild?