GAA All Star awards - sponsored by Ferrero Rocher. The chocolate of champions

All stars are not picked on club games. Cluxton was probably fortunate but did have a better final than Shane Ryan and that’s what swung it.

Clifford deserved player POTY i think. McCarthy may have got it only he was so poor in the final.

Just had a quick squint: vicious stufff

Typical Nordie weirdo brings his sister :joy:

1 Like

The sledging he’ll get in the Ulster Championship will be off the charts

Lads need to get real here.

In the final Cluxton ended with 100% from kickouts and kicked two fine scores. An All Star was never in doubt.

POTY contenders

Fenton
Mayo - Imperative in second half domination, catch under the Cusack etc. 1 point. (8)
Monaghan - 2 clutch points when the game in the mix, vital component (8)
Kerry - Won the midfield battle which was talked about pre match with history v Kerry/ Barry. 2 brilliant points stroked over. (8)

Clifford
Tyrone - 5 points 3 of which were frees. Left another 5 behind with wides and dropping short. Hampsey I think did well on him. He kicked a ball under the Hogan sideline that we have had to endure ever since. (7)
Derry - Man of the match but could have been sent off in the first half. Got a couple of handy frees at the end so did very well from the ref. 9 points with 4 from play. (9*)
Dublin - Smoked by Fitzy. 3 points and set up the goal, nothing else of note. (6)

1 Like

Tom O Sullivan :clap::clap::clap:

before you needed a coup de grace of an all Ireland final to get POTY , Clifford winning changed all that.

1 Like

Gillane had a poor final by his standards also

It just means more to goldenballs, even when the facts say differently

McCarthy turned that final for Dublin but he didn’t kick a bit of football in doing so

Cluxton not playing for his club sums the man up.

Record all Ireland winner sums him up .

Yeah but his decisions making wasn’t the difference between winning and losing it . To be clear Clifford is the most gifted footballer I’ve ever seen , has it all , I’ve never seen a player pass the ball into the top corner time and time again like he does and I don’t think fitzsimmons had the measure of him either. But in the second half of the final he was taking speculative shots that were going wide whilst his teammates were in much better positions inside.

3 Likes

Gillane got one of the greatest scores ever seen in Croke Park on All-Ireland final day. The defence snuffed out two goal chances before All-Star Dan Morrissey shipped two hefty belts and remained in possession. The ball made it’s way to former HOTY Gearóid Hegarty, who played a pinpoint pass to Seamus Flanagan who won the wet and greasy ball with aplomb under pressure from Tommy Walsh.

He offloaded to Gillane, who was off balance and leaning backwards almost on the sideline. He split the posts at the Davin end to finally level a game that Kilkenny had led for the previous 39 minutes.

An iconic score from the hurler of the year.

12 Likes

Winner Brian Howard, nicest rack tom o Sullivan, honourable mention Thiago carvalho, best hand on bump in case people think I’m fat James McCarthy

3 Likes

He had a few bad wides the same day and was held in check for long periods

No disrespect to him, wasn’t his best day is all

Incorrect. He had one wide from a sideline cut in injury time at the end of the game.

Two from play, a couple of assists and fouled for at least one pointed free. A decent return.

Lawlor is excellent and did well but it’s strange to say Gillane had a bad final.

2 Likes

My memory is playing tricks on me,
Aaron Gillane had no wide until injury time in the AIF? What am I thinking of?

Did he drop a couple short, hit post or something, I’m sure he missed some good chances

Thiago carvalho sounds like a lad that played for Chelsea

1 Like

I haven’t looked back on messages and don’t really feel the need to, but my opinion is Clifford was the best footballer this year. You can compare him to previous performances such as 2022 all you like but there wasn’t a footballer than had a better year overall than him