GAA Clichés and Dublin Legends

Doing the sensible thing and putting it over the bar.

A goal change may very well be on, but a forward is often praised for taking the ‘sensible option’ (safe) of putting it over the bar instead.

An rogha ceart.

“Pucanna saora”.

I think that’s incorrect and it should be “phucanna saora” but presumably they think it would sound a bit weird for any women hearing it, especially ones called Sarah.

Nope.

2 Likes

It was Put in around the house there in the Vincents raheeny game.

Zing

3 Likes

Pat Spillane and whoever the co-commentator on the Fermanagh v Monaghan match was yesterday (Martin Carney?) were trying hard to get “pods” to catch on.

Tis the type of game you don’t want to see anyone lose.

____ crowd full of passion (i.e., fellas loaded up on cider abusing you, like a faction fight)

we had a clear the air meeting on Monday night

Hurling was the winner .

Páirc Uí Chaoimh is full of “wide open spaces”, according to Nicky English. Like Croke Park, or Montana. But definitely not Cusack Park.

2 Likes

_____ are in trouble here, Ger.

Any time a goal goes in.

Space was at a premium in Omagh

How will limerick cope with the tight confines of Cusack Park?

(Despite the fact @Big_Dan_Campbell assures us it’s as big as Croke Park).

We create space by dropping a player. Gillane’s stroke on O’Donoghue is all part of one of Kiely’s eight gameplans.

1 Like

we can’t seem to cope in open spaces either according to the pundits.

‘They won the game because they ran at the defence’

Ok - so as opposed to walking at them?

I recall my uncle listening to a Roscommon club game on the radio a while back.

Similar to that, the match ended level and there was confusion as to what happened next.

So much so that a bunch of large belly administrators appeared to convene a hastily arranged meeting and announce over the loudspeaker some time later

‘There will be no extra-time’.

That was it. No mention of a replay but the inference was drawn obviously. Presumably the players walked off the pitch and the crowd gathered their belongings and walked to their cars.

Who says that the GAA is run by imbeciles?

Champions league style format.

Donegal and Kildare, quarter final 2011, ended level and went to extra time.

Mayo and Roscommon, quarter final 2017, ended level and went to a replay.

I am not sure if there was a rule change in the mean time.

When you look at the ads for the world cup coming up, nothing compares to what we have seen tonight…

(and they’d be right)