GAA Clichés and Dublin Legends

[QUOTE=“The Scouse Cafu, post: 950503, member: 2660”]Brian Carthy talking about a “famed” club in Roscommon during commentary - ie last week during the Roscommon-Leitrim match he referred to “the famed Michael Glaveys club”.

Not famed.[/QUOTE]

I am familiar with the Michal Glaveys club, based around the village of Ballinlough between Castlerea and Ballyhaunis. They were also the club of Dermot Early. Famed.

You’re setting the fame bar very low there.

It’s GAA. The fame bar is always low.

Yes but even in relative terms you’ve set it very low.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=59RC4Z3cq1k

http://forums.insidelacrosse.com/images/smilies/guns.gif

“Gael” or if in an effusive mood, “true Gael”. A cliche beloved of Ulster people. Often contains thinly veiled anti-association football undertones. A true Gael believes he is pure of mind and of soul, and is superior to those who have an involvement or interest in impure sports. True Gaels are often members of the Pioneer Total Abstinence Association.

A True Gael can also be a Great Hurling Man in many instances. I haven’t watched The Sunday Game highlights show from the other night yet but I expect Des and the pundits reminded viewers that there’s Great Hurling Men in Antrim and these Glensmen will have been delighted by their victory over Laois.

Or the night Kevin McStay (or one of them gimps)breathlessly informed us that there were children in Sligo who knew exactly who Lar Corbett and Tommy Walsh were

Is there any other type of hurling man in Antrim besides a “great” one?

An alcoholic one as well I think. The two may not be mutually exclusive.
Actually the other GAA cliche is the passing off of some act of savagery or depravity as “an incident” which befalls the perpetrator if they play a starring role at any level of the sport.

A typically robust display by pallasgreen
(= limited damage but no ambulance required TG)

“The team that learns more from the drawn game will win the replay”

“Dual star Keith Higgins.”

A bit of a schemozzle

‘It depends on what Galway team shows up’

The post-defeat “now is not the time to make decisions on my future” stuff mentioned by @The Scouse Cafu earlier on this thread was used by Anthony Daly on Sunday.

Also the interchangeable positive momentum/ too tired to compete talk mentioned by @Julio Geordio in reference to teams with heavy schedules has been talked about a lot over the last few weeks. As mentioned, it varies depending on whether the team wins or loses. Because Wexford lost the other day, “it was inevitable that playing 4 weeks in a row would catch up with them.” But when we won against Waterford, “Wexford had built up incredible momentum after the two games against Clare.”

Not cliches per se. But a few things about GAA general chat and media coverage bug and amuse me in equal measure:

1. The battle not to be favourites for a game. Why do players, managers, columnists and pundits from the competing counties almost invariably tell broadcasters and journalists that they’re not favourites to win? What does it achieve? Do they all think they’ll lull the opposition into overconfidence and a false sense of belief? It’s a never-ending circle of guff.

2. The importance of staying out of the limelight and not talking to the media. Some of the Limerick chaps were pleased there were few media appearances before last Sunday’s game and players didn’t get distracted by it. Yet David Breen was the main feature on the RTE Friday night preview show and played brilliantly. I saw numerous other interviews in the press by Limerick players and management last week. But because they won, a certain school of thought reckoned it was down to staying out of the media and being focused on the job at hand. The point being you can give an interview AND STILL be primed and focused to perform well.

3. Twisting form lines, usually post match, to “prove” that the beaten team wasn’t actually very good. The outcome of Limerick v Kilkenny will be interesting. Kilkenny might be a very old team and who got no test in Leinster. Sure Dublin have reached the end of the road with Daly, they took two games to overcome Galway and they’re gone back and don’t even mention Offaly. Limerick might be no better than they were last year. Sure Tipperary were way off the pace when they beat them back in June and you can’t read anything into that Wexford game because 4 games in 4 weeks caught up with them and sure they lost the Munster Final too.

Yes. There also exist “genuine” ones, “true” ones, “proper” ones, and of course “real” ones. “Committed” ones and “fanatical” ones may also exist, although I’d need to consult with somebody closer to the grass roots up there to establish that for certain.

“The current championship structure (it used to be “system” but “structure” is the preferred description nowadays) is not serving the interests of weaker counties.”

[QUOTE=“Dirty Hands Walter, post: 991299, member: 9”]The post-defeat “now is not the time to make decisions on my future” stuff mentioned by @The Scouse Cafu earlier on this thread was used by Anthony Daly on Sunday.

Also the interchangeable positive momentum/ too tired to compete talk mentioned by @Julio Geordio in reference to teams with heavy schedules has been talked about a lot over the last few weeks. As mentioned, it varies depending on whether the team wins or loses. Because Wexford lost the other day, “it was inevitable that playing 4 weeks in a row would catch up with them.” But when we won against Waterford, “Wexford had built up incredible momentum after the two games against Clare.”

Not cliches per se. But a few things about GAA general chat and media coverage bug and amuse me in equal measure:

1. The battle not to be favourites for a game. Why do players, managers, columnists and pundits from the competing counties almost invariably tell broadcasters and journalists that they’re not favourites to win? What does it achieve? Do they all think they’ll lull the opposition into overconfidence and a false sense of belief? It’s a never-ending circle of guff.

2. The importance of staying out of the limelight and not talking to the media. Some of the Limerick chaps were pleased there were few media appearances before last Sunday’s game and players didn’t get distracted by it. Yet David Breen was the main feature on the RTE Friday night preview show and played brilliantly. I saw numerous other interviews in the press by Limerick players and management last week. But because they won, a certain school of thought reckoned it was down to staying out of the media and being focused on the job at hand. The point being you can give an interview AND STILL be primed and focused to perform well.

3. Twisting form lines, usually post match, to “prove” that the beaten team wasn’t actually very good. The outcome of Limerick v Kilkenny will be interesting. Kilkenny might be a very old team and who got no test in Leinster. Sure Dublin have reached the end of the road with Daly, they took two games to overcome Galway and they’re gone back and don’t even mention Offaly. Limerick might be no better than they were last year. Sure Tipperary were way off the pace when they beat them back in June and you can’t read anything into that Wexford game because 4 games in 4 weeks caught up with them and sure they lost the Munster Final too.[/QUOTE]

It’s probably fair to say that media coverage of our games has never been greater but never more bland or cliche-ridden. There’s hardly a decent pundit out there. Paul Kimmage in the Rough Rider documentary last night called it spot on. He said that most journalists have a sheep-like mentality and need reassurance from their colleagues that their opinions are valid, hence a lot of them come out spouting the same lines as the rest of the herd.

Regarding your points - 1. I think bigging up the opposition is a mechanism to deal with failure. If you’re beaten, how many times does the “we knew coming in here today that we’d be up against it as (insert whoever) are a top-class team” line get trotted out. In reality, it achieves nothing other than possibly creating motivation amongst a squad by telling them they’re being written off although I’d be very sceptical about the value of same.

1. If you look at the cast of One Flew The Cuckoos Nest posting over on Hoganstand, you’d think that giving an interview was the equivalent of going out and making a shit in the small square during the National Anthem. Any quality interview I’ve ever seen with a player or manager has been in the off-season. During the championship, they’re simply a succession of repeated and recycled platitudes that could actually be applied to any game in a campaign. People here in Limerick are already having convulsions about over-hyping the semi-final and think that the team should be exiled to Lough Derg for the next fortnight. Hype is driven by supporters and usually local media. I don’t think it affects players one bit to be honest. They know the score and, in fact, I spoke to one of our players after the Munster Final and he was laughing at the bullshit coming out of the “once a year brigade” as he called them.

2. Again, people are trying to anticipate the outcome and have a line read for it. The media analysis of Wexford was laughable and actually quite insulting to the team. When they lost it was because they were tired. Had they won, it would have been the momentum that carried them. I just think in modern championship hurling that momentum, where it exists, needs rest periods to be truly effective. Clare, last year, were a prime example in that they were winning games but weren’t playing every week. I’m hoping the same will apply to us this year. If those quarter-finals were to be played next weekend I guarantee you’d see a different Wexford.

The Tipp Manager after the Dublin game.

‘Ah sure look it, we’ll need to improve by over 100% the next day to keep it even pucked out to Cork’

Simpleton.