GAA Clichés and Dublin Legends

He was a mule.

If you think he’s a hard man you should see the father!

Take your points and the goals will come

That wide is as good as a score

Some fool said this behind me in Limerick on Saturday when Mayo kicked a late wide while 1 up in ET

1 Like

Commentator actially referenced it live for same wide !! Said the old cliche is…but not in this case

“Team X are a Croke Park team.”

Ray Silke said this about Galway on the radio on Sunday. “Galway are always a Croke Park team.”

It’s also commonly applied to Down and the Cork hurling team.

All three were demolished in their last championship appearances at Croke Park.

A good Tipperary hurling fan to boot.

They haven’t won a Championship game in Croke Park in about 15 years.

1 Like

Exactly,till Galway bate Kildare in the league final they hadn’t won a game since 2001.

Or in Way Silkes case, “Galway ah always a Cwoke Pawk Team”.

Ray Silke is full of shite.

2 Likes

If you get a point after a goal it’s worth 2 or 3 points

Paul Earley 29/07/2017

‘Taking the right option and fisting it over the bar’

Even when the goal was gaping.

4 Likes

Ye,this one sickens my hole.Lads through one on one with the keeper and they fist it over the bar,usually a wingback who can’t kick a ball to save his life.

Taking the right option so?

2 Likes

Kieran Donaghy is flying. Playing Basketball in the off season has done him wonders. He’s some servant.

Aidan O Shea is fierce sluggish. Acting the shite at basketball in the off season and all so he was. What a cunt.

{Insert county name} are in bonus territory.

Generally means {insert county name} are beyond their limits and are fucked come the next round.

What sort of Galway will turn up?

Was Ryan’s father are teacher?

A couple that were aired in the last week or so:

i) “Booing like that has no place in the GAA.”

Used widely after Andy Moran was booed by Roscommon supporters.

Used by the self-styled Gaelic moral purity brigade, a sort of twee, permanently outrgaed, Youth Defence-type clique populated by several posters here.

The cliche is incorrect. Booing always has a place in the GAA.

i) is often accompanied by ii) “Leave that to the soccer crowd.”

Most normal people in GAA stadiums are “the soccer crowd”.

iii) “Those people are not GAA supporters.”

Used by humourless, reality-denying Tomas “Mossy” Quinn types after Tyrone and Armagh supporters were videoed fighting on a train.

Yes, they are GAA supporters.

GAA supporters fight at championship matches, they fight at club matches, they fight at National League matches, they fight at O’Byrne Cup matches, they fight in pubs.

And players regularly assault each other on the pitch.

GAA and violence go together like strawberries and cream.

iv) “Settling down”.

Brian Carthy used this one in the early stages of his radio commentary of Tyrone v Armagh.

“The men of Armagh need to settle down into this game, but settle down they most assuredly will.” No they didn’t, Brian, no they didn’t.

“The game hasn’t settled down yet” - used by several posters here during the early stages of Galway v Tipperary.

I can at least understand what Carthy was trying to say.

The Galway v Tipperary “settle down” comments made no sense at all. The sort of generic, meaningless post an unknowledgeable poster might make in order to appear knowledgeable.

4 Likes