GAA Clichés and Dublin Legends

I suppose Kevin McStay got into the Hot Zone yesterday

2 Likes

Who said that?

I did.

Oh. where in the city did you see them

On that junction on the ring road where there is a shop called Fine Wines. The little cunt was battering the pedestrian button with his Hurley.

1 Like

Yeah Rahoon Newcastle, really St Michaels football (eamon brannigan) territory. Flattys mate hanbury has turned heads there, more than tony og ever did id say. The hills overlooking the city above it are pure hurling country. Also where Michael D has a gaff, looking down at the proletariat.

1 Like

I used to regularly pass that junction with a hurley in my hand walking up to puck ball around the handball alley at the top of Threadneedle Road. They bricked it up* in the mid-2000s, so that was the end of that.

*put metal shutters on it

That’s a fucking great post . Seascapes is a national treasure . Tom McSweeney was a great broadcaster

Rahoon’s pitch is a nice bit out and kind of in the middle of nowhere, probably didn’t help with the past lack of interest in that side of the city

1 Like

But that’s a recent enough development, they used to play in the city pitches right there in westside. The rahoon heartland is the rural area right around where that pitch is now. Underage they always had a few scobes but they fell away. A few families there keep them stocked including that of famed inter county ref and all round good guy alan kelly.

Ah right fair enough. Surely it would be handier for young lads in Westside to go to Salthill rather than out to Rahoon since they moved?

Yeah but they wouldn’t traditionally have done that, salthill arent short of numbers (never stopped them taking in lads from all sides) The parish rule is loose in the city alright but people stick to their areas, schools generally feed certain clubs.

1 Like

“The Kerrys, Tyrones and Dublins of this world.”

There is only one Kerry, one Tyrone and one Dublin.

Why not just say “Kerry, Tryone and Dublin”…

“The so called weaker counties” used to be a great one
Less popular now days

How did you escape?

1 Like

excellent post
seascapes with Tom MacSweney was on Thursday night i remeber
he used to have a great column in the echo advising on what ships used to be coming in to port.

for those who are interested Eddie English’s daily weather forecast on the sailcork website is essential listening from his garden in cobh- he also does fantastic little anecdotes about various craft afloat in the harbour that i find most entertaining also
His coverage of ex hurricane orphelia as the southerly blast blew in on top of his house last October was epic

lovely little clips like this throughout the day then

1 Like

Patrickswell should enter a team in the Limerick senior football championship.

Cork choke at the sight of the wide open spaces in Croke Park

“It served us well”.

Used as a retospective justification for a dinosaur rule that never served any purpose and should never have existed.

ie. ““The Ban” served us well but it was time to get rid of it.”
“Rule 42 served us well but the time was right to relax it”.

“Open(ing) the floodgates”.

Used by Marty Morrissey in reference to some imagined, unnamed threat brought about by the staging of the Liam Miller charity game in Pairc Ui Chaoimh.

“There was a huge amount of public goodwill towards the GAA for opening Croke Park.”

Used by Marty Morrissey and #Marian Finucane.

There wasn’t.

1 Like

“A year makes an awful difference at that age”

1 Like