GAA Clichés and Dublin Legends

It is great to win this playing with the lads you grew up with .

2 Likes

that’s a serious piece of writing

The hurling people in county xx are as passionate about the game as those in cork , Tipperary and Kilkenny

3 Likes

“there wasn’t a fucking ticket in sight at the sevens”

Hurling needs a strong Wexford.

Kilkennys Paddy Deegan on the news there.

“Ah sure look, the league is very important, I suppose”

4 Likes

“Sure look (any bland statement whatsoever) I suppose” is a cliché in itself

Any team beaten in the league

“ they trained hard during the week “

Limerick supporters despite being outwardly convinced of the hurling teams invincibility, tipping anyone and everyone they face

You miss the point

Would be more in your line to travel and support galway than be going to jockland to see rugby

2 Likes

This is the gaa cliche thread.
I think youre missing the point

He’s middle class going way back. I’d say he never saw a hurley in his life before he went to England.

Nor a greyhound

You see the news from Spain?

Can you be a bit more pacific?

“Yeah no…”

Carlow’s Marty Kavanagh would get a place on any hurling team in the country.

Carlow is full of incredible hurling men.

There’s hurling men in Carlow that know every hurler in the country.

1 Like

Carlow never feared Galway.

Cork are a top of the ground hurling team.

they played a football match before it!

I went out for my customary Friday night walk to buy a packet of cigarettes at 10pm this evening and what did I hear was coming up after the news on RTE Radio 1 but this year’s first edition of “The Championship” with Brian Carthy (fáilte is chéad).

So instead of walking to the nearest Centra shop on Newcastle Road, I decided I’d head all the way down to Tesco opposite the hospital so that my walk would be long enough to hear all of this year’s gala opening to the series.

As always, there was an all-star guest list, with the three man panel made up of Gordon Manning, GAA correspondent for the Irish Sun (cc: of @anon32894817), New York Gaelic footballer CJ Molloy, and Wicklow manager John Evans.

Some highlights were:

A recorded interview with Jim Gavin at the official launch of the Leinster Championships at Casement Aerdorome, Baldonnell. It was very boring. Jim used a lot of buzzwords like “facilitate”, “player-centric approach” etc., which is a surprise as he’s normally great value in interviews like these. He said that Paul Flynn always gave his all “every time he wore that sky blue jersey on his back - that’s his legacy”. That’s not a legacy, Jim, it’s merely a description of a player making an effort.

New York-born CJ (his accent is like a softer spoken Des Bishop) told us that his uncle Anthony Molloy is in great from, as is everybody back in Ardara. He said that “you would have got some price on Donegal to beat Dublin back in 1992”. I’d say you surely would have, CJ.

CJ would love to see more native New Yorkers get their place on the team - only 11 out of something like 400 players to play for the team over the years have been actual New Yorkers. But John Evans chipped in to say that that figure could well increase if Mr. Trump has his way!

John then said that Ciaran Deely is doing great work with London - they’re apparently even bringing in experts from London soccer clubs. That poaching of coaching talent could well explain why Tottenham have such a long injury list at the moment.

We then heard from Mayo manager James Horan ahead of the new NFL champions’ trip to New York, and James was very boring, so I can’t remember any of what he said, but I’m sure he used the word “process” (as always with James, it’s pronounced “pross-ess”, rather than “pro-sess”).

Galway manager Kevin Walsh was next up for a recorded interview, and Brian put it to him that Galway perhaps take more criticism for their style of play than other teams. Kevin responded that “there are a lot of empty vessels out there, and we have to make sure those empty vessels don’t hit us on the ears”.

Speaking of vessels, “Seascapes” followed at 10:30pm as usual, but sadly I got home as the Fergal Keane-presented programme was coming to the end of its first feature - about the Irish youth sailing championships, and I didn’t hear the feature about currach racing on the Liffey, which sounded quite interesting. Might listen back on the player after I finish this post, actually.

But back to the GAA, and the programme finished off with John Evans rambling on in his inimitable style. He was full of praise for Wicklow legend Kevin O’Brien, who he says is doing a wonderful job with the under 17 team. Brian then joked with John that he’s been involved with so many different counties that he must love driving up and down the country. I chuckled to myself at that - it was lovely, harmless yet original humour.

John finished off the programme by mentioning the late Pat McAuliffe, and told us of “what a loss to managers” he was - Pat always had a kind and gentle manner as he put a hand around you looking for a post match interview on his “transistor”, as John called it. John specifically recalled an incident in Waterford on January 26th this year, when the wind and rain was lashing down. I thought the way John was teeing up the anecdote that he was going to say that he had bene stuck for a lift home and Pat obliged, but the anecdote just turned out to be that Pat and John had conducted a routine interview.

A shit anecdote, but nevertheless you could hear John’s affection for Pat as he spoke, and let’s hope this series will be a worthy tribute to Pat - I hope to update this thread periodically with mini-reviews of what has become a lovely little Friday night tradition for me - listening to “The Championship” and a bit of “Seascapes” while nipping out to the shop for my smokes.

13 Likes